Lazy Man’s Veg Dinner

September 27, 2011

I know I’ve said this before, but Mondays are long over here.  Ryan is up at campus ALL day, and I try to keep myself really busy with class prep and errands so that I’m not just sitting in the house by myself all day. Yesterday, I crossed about 6 items off of my to-do list, which was great—but I also felt like I was in the car all afternoon.  Bleh.  By the time I got home around 5:00, I was exhausted…and promptly collapsed into bed for an hour-long nap.

When I woke up, I was starving, but still feeling really groggy and tired from my nap.  Cooking a big dinner was the LAST thing on my mind.  I thought about just going to Subway or even (gasp) McDonald’s (I blame the pregnancy), but instead I threw together the easiest vegetarian dinner I could muster.

It took a little more effort than the drive-through…but not much.  And I felt much better afterwards than I would have if I had ventured into Happy Meal land.

I kind of have this type of dinner down to a science:

I start with a grain:

This was 90-second brown rice.  No, it’s not as good as brown rice from scratch.  Yes, it has added oil.  And yes, it’s still better for you than a Big Mac.

Then add a fruit or veggie:

Last night, it was fresh oranges (which I’ve been eating more and more, lately…I can’t get enough citrus).

Then a protein:

Tempeh, roasted for about 15 minutes in the oven just to get rid of some of the bitterness.

Then finally some fixin’s:

Walnuts (good for baby!),

and:

Blue cheese (good for mama).

Again, this took a little more effort than a drive-through, but it’s worth it to have a healthy meal at the end of a long day.

Here are some other easy grain recipes that I’ve made in the past that basically follow the same steps:

Black Rice, Cherry, and Edamame Salad

Thyme Warp Sweet Potato Salad (with cute dogs in costumes!!)

Black Bean and Mango Quinoa

Warm Lentil and Artichoke Salad

Balsamic Strawberry and Chickpea Salad

So…what’s your go-to meal when you realllllly don’t feel like cooking?

1. September 27, 2011 3:28 pm

This is impressive for it almost being a fast food night! My go-to’s are usually Annie’s Mac n Cheese + vegetables or a frittata.

2. September 27, 2011 3:32 pm

Couscous or pasta are my go-to foods – so easy to prepare and extremely versatile.

By the way, CONGRATS on your pregnancy! 🙂

3. September 27, 2011 3:32 pm

Hmmm, interesting combo with the oranges. I would never in a million years thought of that one.

4. Ali permalink
    September 27, 2011 3:34 pm

I could NOT get enough oranges early in my pregnancy either!!!!! 🙂

• September 27, 2011 3:36 pm

I think it’s common– so funny! I wonder what the source of the craving is?!

5. September 27, 2011 3:37 pm

I don’t know about the orange but I love sweet and savory, so I might like it. Love the blue cheese addition!

My go-to lazy meal is always a sandwich. I just hope I have bread ready, haha.

• September 27, 2011 3:54 pm

I know it sounds like a strange combo, but it works really well!

6. September 27, 2011 3:44 pm

I love the simplicity to this meal. Sound delicious especially with the citrus blue cheese in there.

7. Amy R permalink
    September 27, 2011 3:59 pm

I didn’t have time to cook for myself yesterday and had a yoga class at six, by the time I came home it was 9pm and I was starving! I had some Superstore Blue menu quinoa and bulgar (it had roasted peppers, eggplant and stuff in it already in the bag) and I added some frozen spinach, warmed it up and put some Braggs liquid aminos on it, YUM!

8. September 27, 2011 4:36 pm

I can already tell Mondays will also be my crazy/lazy dinner day this semester and started hitting up the slow cooker for an easy meal!

9. September 27, 2011 5:51 pm

I love meals like this! Easy, delicious and filling!

10. September 27, 2011 5:56 pm

I love easy dinners like this! They always taste the best too 🙂

11. September 27, 2011 7:45 pm

I usually rock stir fry (as i did last night)! One bowl meals are awesome

12. September 27, 2011 8:32 pm

It’s the easy things that are the best usually!

13. September 27, 2011 9:01 pm

I love this – and the way you write. Go to for me is tinned chickpeas, lemon zest, olive oil, garlic, wilted spinach and a fried egg over the top. If I’ve got any chorizo, then some coins of that goes straight in too. Works for breakfast/ lunch and or dinner….

14. patti permalink
    September 27, 2011 9:57 pm

I love foods with alot of texture and flavor variations so this looks delicious ( I have never tried Tempeh ).

• September 27, 2011 10:04 pm

We should cook tempeh sometime when we’re together, Patti– we really like it. Of course, we might have to wait for a night that Don is working 😉

15. September 27, 2011 11:00 pm

I usually make something involving eggs when I need a quick go-to meal. You concoction looks delicious!

16. Angie permalink
    September 28, 2011 12:41 am

I thought you weren’t supposed to eat blue cheese when you’re pregnant?

• September 28, 2011 12:44 am

You can if the cheese is made from pasteurized milk (which most supermarket cheeses are– you can check the label).

17. September 29, 2011 1:21 am

My go-to meal is refried beans mixed with salsa topped with grilled veggies.