The Dog Days Aren’t Over

September 25, 2011

Florence and the Machine had it wrong.  Sorry hipsters.

The dogs days aren’t over…they’re in Huntsville! Yesterday, we ventured up to Monte Sano park for the annual Huntsville Obedience Training Club Dog Fair.  We weren’t sure what to expect…but the fair itinerary told us that there would be dog dancing…agility contests…breed parades…and even obedience lessons! Not that we know any dogs who might need those…

blog 012

This is allowed, right?

Anyway, we saw on the itinerary that the herding dog parade and terrier parade were back-to-back from 10 to 11, so we knew when we needed to get there! We arrived right in time, and Ella and I quickly to our spot in the herding dog parade (right next to another girl cattledog!):

The parades were actually really cute—you’d step forward, and they’d tell the crowd the name of you and your dog, as well as any fun characteristics about the breed.  The MC told the crowd that cattledogs like to nip at the heels of those around them…that is a fun characteristic!

You could also give the MC a little bit of information about your dog’s personality.  Unfortunately, we didn’t arrive in time to do that for Ella, but Baxter got described to the crowd as a “real relaxer who enjoys time under the covers”…pretty accurate. Here are Ryan and Baxter in the terrier lineup:

Both pets got parade buttons…I think we’re going to pin them to their leashes.  🙂

We stayed for about another half hour, taking in some doggy dancing with our friends Julia and Bart.  The doggy dancing was a little underwhelming…let’s just say that there were a lot of dog Kate Gosselins on the dance floor.

I was glad that we came early—when we left, around 11:45, there were about fifty  cars backed up down the mountain, all waiting to get in for the fair!  It reminded me of one of my favorite children’s books:

Do you like my hat?

Anyway, the rest of the day was pretty laidback…I had a full To-Do list, and the only thing that got crossed off was “Go to Dog Fair.”  Oh well…that’s what Sundays are for, right?

We wanted something easy for dinner last night, and I, very strangely, wanted steak.  Even before I went vegetarian, I was not a red meat person—it just never really sounds good to me.  I can probably count on one hand the number of steaks I’ve had in the past five years…but last night, that’s what I wanted.  Maybe my iron levels are low?

Anyway, we found some easy steak kabobs at Fresh Market that looked perfect for dinner.  We got home, threw together a big salad, put the kabobs on the grill…and dinner was served!

Salad:

Gasp!!! Blue cheese!!!!

Did you know that the FDA says blue cheese (and feta, and brie, and all of the other delicious cheeses that pregnant women were told to avoid) is okay to eat during pregnancy if the label clearly says that it comes from pasteurized milk?  And the truth is, that covers a LOT of the cheeses you’re going to find in a typical American market.  At Fresh Market last night, I didn’t see a single blue cheese that wasn’t marked as made from pasteurized milk.  And so, I’m happy to be adding it back onto the list of things I don’t have to wait nine months to enjoy again.  Sorry, crack—I hear you’re still a no-go.

The meat:

It felt strange eating red meat again…but I have to say, it was pretty delicious.  I don’t think we’ll make a habit out of it, but it was definitely what I wanted last night.

Along with this:

…which might have been the best thing I’ve ever put in my mouth (that’s what she said).  Seriously.  This was SO. GOOD.

After our big meal, we’re both feeling the need to get moving this morning, so we’re headed out to a trail with the dogs for a long walk.  Hope you have a great Sunday!!

1. September 25, 2011 2:14 pm

They don’t pasteurize crack? Damn! haha I was actually trying to have that pasteurized cheese conversation with a pregnant person last week where I was telling her those cheeses were fine as long as they were pasteurized and she was quite adamantly refusing to believe me. I ending up dropping the argument b/c I’m not the one who has to go without delicious cheese for 9 months and wasn’t sure why I was getting so frustrated. I’m glad you proved me right! 🙂
    Enjoy your Sunday on the trail!

• September 25, 2011 2:16 pm

Haha…never try to argue with a pregnant woman, I guess. I think my husband is learning that pretty quickly 🙂

But yeah, I feel totally fine about it– I probably won’t order any of those cheeses in restaurants, where you just can’t be sure, but in the grocery store, when you can totally check the label?! Why not? I’m giving up wine; I’ll be damned if I give up cheese when I don’t really have to 🙂

2. September 25, 2011 2:19 pm

I bought the coconut version of that gelato for Tony and he was in HEAVEN! Sounds like you had a fun and delicious day!

As for your diet (as in what you eat, not to lose weight), I think it’s great that you are doing what your body needs. Honestly, while I don’t eat meat, I do understand that we are humans and we were made to eat a variety of things, including meat. There is a whole food chain thing that people forget about. If you’re craving it, chances are you need it! The little peanut is building a brain right now and needs all that iron!

I hope you have a great Sunday and while I know you have a lot to do…try to relax too. That’s what Sundays are for!

• September 25, 2011 4:42 pm

Yeah, it’s funny how strong some of the cravings for meat have been…every three or four days, I just think, “I need some MEAT.” SO not like me…but I’m rolling with it!

Hope you have a great Sunday, Sarena!

3. September 25, 2011 2:22 pm

Happy Sunday – just enjoy the day. And that gelato!

• September 25, 2011 4:43 pm

Thanks Heather! I hope your run goes (or went) well!!

4. September 25, 2011 2:23 pm

Talenti puts out some seriously amazing gelati. Their vanilla bean is just better than any others I’ve tasted.

• September 25, 2011 4:42 pm

I now have my eye on all of their other flavors 🙂

5. September 25, 2011 3:26 pm

Oh man, it’s like a Talenti fan club here- I’ve had the raspberry sorbet before and it was great, too!

• September 25, 2011 4:39 pm

It’s kind of dangerous…I’m already thinking about what flavors I want to try next…

6. September 25, 2011 4:48 pm

oh man good luck with the dog training. both my older sisters tried it with their dogs and did not go well, haha, they are too soft on them

• September 26, 2011 2:41 pm

Haha…our dogs are so bad too. It’s just hard to discipline them when they’re so cute!! 🙂

7. September 25, 2011 6:58 pm

If you want it, eat it. Otherwise, you won’t stop thinking about it for days (said from experience).

8. September 25, 2011 8:26 pm

The gelato looks awesome and Im not even a salt girl. Glad you guys had a great day and lovin’ the pics!

9. September 25, 2011 9:15 pm

Your posts always make me want to get a dog. Nick would love it. We’re just not ready yet though…one day!
    I actually didn’t even know that they made pasteurized blue and other soft cheeses. But, now that you mention it, why wouldn’t they?! I actually did my research on food safety and my advisor was big on listeria and she had me help her with her research where I had to go into pregnant women’s kitchens and see if they had any deli meats or soft cheeses (but we never looked to see if they were pastuerized!). Study flaw? Perhaps!

10. September 26, 2011 1:15 pm

Oh, my. Your dog. Love him!! And that salted caramel ice cream looks like something I would eat for breakfast. YUM

11. September 26, 2011 2:11 pm

LOVE that gelato!

12. September 26, 2011 2:41 pm

That is so fun! Love dog-centric events! Your iron levels may be low! Both my sister and I became anemic right away when we got preggers. Yummy din din

• September 26, 2011 2:42 pm

Thanks, Erica– I know it’s something to really look out for; it seems like a lot of women have that problem!

13. September 26, 2011 2:52 pm

What a cute event!!!

And yes – Sundays are for beign chill. I completely agree. Glad you got some down time. With some amazing sounding dessert. I’m drooling! Love anything salted caramel. mmmmm….

14. September 26, 2011 3:57 pm

I wasn’t too careful about the pasteurized thing because a friend of mine was pregnant at the same time, with her 2nd, and she was eating tons of raw sushi. I figured a bit of cheese wouldn’t hurt me. 🙂 But I’m glad you found the good, safe stuff!

15. September 29, 2011 9:41 pm

Oh, I wish we could get that Talenti Gelato here – it looks delicious! And, I must tell you that I grinned when I read your TWSS joke – it’s been a while and I’m a sucker for them, as you know!