Mock Taco

September 15, 2011

Hello friends! Hello, Thursday! I’m ready for the weekend to be here—tomorrow, we’re headed down to Shreveport for my high school reunion! High school was a special time for me…I had an eyebrow ring and wore satin do-rags and took pictures like this:

281347_10100657112927455_23428120_60814211_3279068_n

6736_790501207315_23406212_47481588_7469738_n

You can *just* make out the little glint of silver above my left eye.  Keepin’ it classy.

Thank goodness high school was only four years long.  One should only be allowed to look that good for a short period of time in one’s life.

Moving on.

Last night, I made an easy mock-meat taco filling with…mung beans! My friend Elyssa introduced me to mung beans two summers ago (?!?), and I’ve been loving them ever since.  This easy filling was kind of reminiscent of a lentil or bean filling.  It was really tasty!

First, I cooked a cup of mung beans in three cups of lightly salted water:

Then, to make the filling, I sauteed an onion, along with about 1.5 cups of the cooked mung beans with a package of taco seasoning that we had in our pantry.  Really could not be easier! Here’s the filling:

…in a taco shell:

…and finally, topped with tomatoes, avocado, and cheese:

Yes, I know that the cheese looks like butter. It’s not.  It’s cheese.  And hey, so what if I want to put butter in my tacos?  Don’t judge me!!!

Okay…gotta get some grading done…then it’s yoga at noon…packing…teaching…and an Oktoberfest dinner!

See ya!

1. September 15, 2011 2:34 pm

Haha eye-brow rings and do-rags, every teenage parent’s dream 😉 thinking about my craziness as a teenager is enough for me to not want kids solely to not have to live through that stage as the parent!

2. September 15, 2011 2:40 pm

What’s wrong with butter and tacos? 😉

3. September 15, 2011 3:07 pm

Have a great time!! High School reunions are so fun!

4. September 15, 2011 3:23 pm

Those photos are priceless! Mung beans sounds totally my speed. yummy tacos!

5. September 15, 2011 3:46 pm

Too funny!! I used to have a nose ring…ah memories!

6. September 15, 2011 4:04 pm

Love the high school pics! 😉 Hope you have a great time at the reunion. Those tacos look perfect for Taco Tuesday…or Wednesday.

7. September 15, 2011 5:26 pm

I’ve never tried mung beans although a friend did give me some dried ones to sprout. I’m thinking I’ll have to give it a try. Great looking tacos!

8. September 15, 2011 6:50 pm

A MOCO..or MOCKO haha ❤ they look bright, fresh, and crispy in contrast to the softness inside- yum!!

xoxo ❤

9. September 16, 2011 1:07 am

I am obsessed with your satin do’ rags. Legit obsessed. Bring those back, girl!

Haven’t had a good veggie taco in a LONG time. This must be fixed!

10. September 16, 2011 4:34 am

Oooo have fun!!! I never went to my 10 year…now I feel bad 😉 LOL

xxoo

11. Ginger permalink
    September 16, 2011 8:32 am

I actually kind of liked that eyebrow ring – showed spunk (something you’ve always had A LOT of). Have fun at the reunion. I finally charged my phone and can catch up on your blog – enjoyed Ryan’s guest post! Will try to send more pictures your way.

12. September 16, 2011 10:58 am

Satin do-rags? You must have been cool. 🙂 Your vegetarian taco filling looks great!

13. September 16, 2011 2:51 pm

You are too cute! Have fun! The tacos sound delicious.

14. September 16, 2011 9:04 pm

Have fun at your reunion! I can’t believe you had an eyebrow ring- very badass of you!

15. September 17, 2011 4:43 am

Would never have thought of mung beans and had no idea that is what they looked like. Almost resembles a ricey kinda look. I’ve had mung bean sprouts but not mung beans. Now I am curious to try. Good luck and have fun with your reunion 🙂

16. September 17, 2011 4:51 pm

10 year reunion? I went to mine and it was actually pretty fun. It was at a bar.

My best friend had an eyebrow ring and I thought it was so cool. Why was this in style?!

17. September 18, 2011 11:04 am

Love the high school picture! Very stylish look you got there 🙂 I wouldn’t dare show some of my own high school pictures. I had my awkward stage in high school, not middle school, it was bad.

I have never had a mung bean. Am I American?! Apparently it needs to go on my list! The tacos sound amazing. With or without butter!

18. September 18, 2011 2:52 pm

Ha, love the high school pictures! The tacos look great, very creative. Hope you’re having a blast at your reunion!

19. September 19, 2011 3:37 am

mmmmmm!! looks so good!

20. greensandjeans permalink
    September 19, 2011 11:30 am

I had an eyebrow ring for a yearish in college, and then I realized that it looked ridiculous on me. It was fun while it lasted…

21. September 19, 2011 8:52 pm

Tacos are awesome!! Especially when avocado is involved! How the reunion was fun!