Smooth Operator

August 17, 2011

I’m sure I’ve used that title before.  But there are only so many smoothie puns a girl can think of before noon.

Yesterday was a little rough.  My stomach was not feeling so hot.  Was it the buffet of free barbeque that we enjoyed the night before at the college of liberal arts welcome back dinner?  We may never know.

Anyway, yesterday was all about bed and saltines…which was actually perfect because A) I love saltines and B) I had a LOT of work to do for my class.  And whenever you have to do work…isn’t it always better if you’re able to do it from bed?

I worked all day (in between whining to Ryan about my stomach and napping and reading Sweet Valley High #10: Wrong Kind of Girl), and I’m glad to say that this morning I feel much better.  My stomach is still feeling a teeny bit off, so I played it safe with a smoothie this morning.  I was excited to give this new product a whirl:

Vega instant smoothie! I bought this in Shreveport over the weekend and was excited to give it a go.  I like Vega products, but I’m not always a huge fan of “tropical” flavors—sometimes they taste like you just squirted a tanning lotion bottle into your glass.

Luckily, that’s not the case with this mix! In the Vitamix, I blended: 1 cup orange juice, 1/2 cup milk, 1/2 cup blueberries, 1 banana, and 1 scoop of tropical smoothie mix:

I always expect tropical smoothies to be bright orange with an umbrella in them.  This one was more of a muddy tan with purple flecks..and sadly, did not come with an umbrella…but it was delicious all the same! The mix gets two thumbs up from me!

School starts today, but I don’t teach until tomorrow, so I have one more day of summer freedom…which I will spend prepping for tomorrow. Sigh.

Have a great day!

1. August 17, 2011 2:03 pm

Hope you’re feeling better today. And why is it that tropical flavors somehow smell like tanning lotion?

2. August 17, 2011 2:17 pm

I feel the same way about tropical flavors. I love how they sound but pretty much always hate how they taste.

How about Smooth Crimnal or Smooth like Telly Savalas’s head for the next smoothie title? Um or not 🙂

3. August 17, 2011 2:24 pm

Well this smoothie seems like a great way to celebrate the end of summer! Yum! Good luck prepping for tomorrow 🙂

4. August 17, 2011 2:27 pm

Mmm- I’m a fan of the Vega shake-and-go smoothie mixes, but have yet to try the tropical flavor. I hope all those nutrients have you feeling better- and soon!

5. August 17, 2011 2:28 pm

I like the purple flecks! It looks delicious! Bottom line: I love a good smoothie, no matter the color. 🙂

6. August 17, 2011 2:32 pm

So pretty. I often say the kitchen smells like sunscreen when I’m cooking with coconut oil. Enjoy your last day of freedom!

7. August 17, 2011 4:07 pm

Hope your tummy is feeling better today! This mix looks awesome. I love tropical flavors (hello pineapple and coconut!). I will be on the lookout for it!

8. August 17, 2011 4:37 pm

Hope you’re feeling better! I have not tried my tropical mix yet, so I was glad you tried it out. I’ll do mine now.

9. August 17, 2011 7:42 pm

“I always expect tropical smoothies to be bright orange with an umbrella in them. “–

you and me both. And don’t forget the rum 🙂

• August 17, 2011 8:39 pm

Ahhh, THAT’S what mine was missing!!! 🙂

10. August 17, 2011 11:52 pm

hope you are feeling better! Smoothies are soo good!

11. August 18, 2011 2:04 am

i love that you read a sweet valley high book! 🙂 i used to love those!

hope you’re feeling better today.

12. August 18, 2011 4:36 am

sending this to my friend! she JUST bought that mix and i might try it next!!!!! ❤

13. August 18, 2011 12:18 pm

My all time favorite smoothie flavor strawberry banana! BEST EVER!

14. August 18, 2011 3:35 pm

I hope day #1 is going well! 🙂 The smoothie looks awesome!! I haven’t had near enough smoothies this summer!

15. August 18, 2011 4:48 pm

My stomach has been feeling a bit off as well – I chalked it up to Ramadan? I hope you are better and I hope that school goes well for you today!

16. August 18, 2011 9:44 pm

The smoothie looks good, I haven’t tried that Vega product yet, but the Total Health Optimizer was perfect while half marathon training.

17. August 19, 2011 3:35 am

Tropical flavors are often a disappointment to me too, but this smoothie looks different 🙂 Hope you have a great first day of school and are still feeling better!

18. August 19, 2011 11:10 am

I had this and gave it away because I didn’t think I’d like it. I’m more of a chocolate girl, but good to know you liked this!

19. August 21, 2011 10:28 pm

I just got a sh*tton of free samples of this stuff at HLS, and this smoothie looks amazing. Now I’m already thinking about making one tomorrow morning…

20. Lynn permalink
    August 22, 2011 3:38 am

Thanks Anna for letting me know what shrinp and grits look like. I was wondering before you posted the pictures and recipe. Sounds yummy!!

21. greensandjeans permalink
    August 22, 2011 1:26 pm

Do you remember the special Sweet Valley High book that was like a weird Christmas special? Something about a Nutcracker that comes to life?

• August 23, 2011 1:42 pm

Ha, YES!! I don’t know if I have that one in my collection…I might have to go on E-bay for it.

My Christmas favorite was the one that featured another evil set of twins who looked just like Elizabeth and Jessica– Margot and Nora. Do you remember that one?!