True Grit

August 15, 2011

Hi friends!

Thanks for your sweet words about my parents’ anniversary post— my mom loved reading all of your comments! They were (and are) a pretty cute couple!

The party on Friday night was a blast.  My parents have been listening to the band Trout Fishing in America since the early eighties.  Do you know this band?  They’re famous for their children’s music, but they sing adult songs as well.  Anyway, my parents are huge fans of theirs, and decided to hire them to play for the anniversary/birthday party:

They sang some of the kid songs, which my little cousins were big fans of:

And during Teddy Bear’s Picnic, a certain toddler kept trying to steal the bear:

Sophie Rose! I didn’t get any good shots of her…because she was too busy dancing!

As was my grandmother:

And most of the crowd!  It was great hanging out with family…and a perfect celebration of my parents!

On Saturday night, we hung out at my parents house and enjoyed one of my favorite dishes: shrimp and grits.

When Ryan (from Seattle) and I (from Louisiana) were first dating, he had the audacity to ask what a “grit” was.

Sigh.  Like with most things, it was my job to educate him on the finer things in life:

Like a big mound of cheese grits topped with spicy shrimp and sauteed peppers and onions.

Is there anything better?

Have a great Monday!  I’ll be working on my syllabus/angel site all morning—can’t believe school starts on Wednesday!!

1. August 15, 2011 2:24 pm

That band plays at our annual Riverfest, but I’ve never heard them. They actually play fairly often around town. I’ve actually never had grits…

2. August 15, 2011 2:35 pm

Ohhhh dreamy. Those cheesy grits with shrimp and peppers are seriously dreamy.

3. Errign permalink
    August 15, 2011 4:08 pm

These look delicious. I’m a New Englander, through & through, but I do know what grits are!

4. August 15, 2011 5:14 pm

I’ve never had grits- which seems like a travesty since I think I’d really like them!

5. August 15, 2011 5:56 pm

grits! so good!! What a fun party- love family time

6. August 15, 2011 6:43 pm

I just found your blog 🙂 Happy anniversary to your parents! I just read the post about their relationship and it is so sweet! Looking forward to reading more 🙂

7. August 15, 2011 9:15 pm

Shrimp and grits is hands down one of my favorite splurges. I want all the butter, and extra cheese! 🙂

8. August 15, 2011 10:41 pm

What a great looking plate. The colors just POP off the plate which always makes me HUNGRY 🙂

9. August 15, 2011 11:02 pm

Haha I get where he is coming from. I’m from Washington too and have never had a grit before.. But I’m pretty sure I know what it is 🙂

10. August 16, 2011 12:46 am

I just made shrimp and cheese grits the other night for dinner. De-licious! And I’m a NY’er through and through, sometimes the south has some things worthwhile 😉 (sense sarcasm here :))

11. August 16, 2011 12:53 am

looks like a great time!!

12. August 16, 2011 2:13 am

I may not be a good Southern girl for not liking fried chicken, but I redeem myself with my love of grits!

13. August 16, 2011 11:21 am

I can’t believe how much you look like your mom!! Wow. It’s a very good thing, you’re both beautiful.
    Congrats to your parents! The shrimp and grits sound wonderful.

14. August 16, 2011 12:14 pm

Love the picture of us with the band! We had a ball, too!

15. August 16, 2011 12:35 pm

HA! That is so funny about the grits. i can’t imagine not knowing what they are…but in Keith’s family (they are orginally from St. Louis) they didn’t eat very southern. When Keith and i started dating he thought it was disgusting when I put honey on my cornbread. Silly man.