Ah, Love!

August 12, 2011

Greetings from Louisiana! I’m here in Shreveport to celebrate my parents’ sixtieth birthdays and fortieth wedding anniversary.  They’re having a shindig tonight, but I wanted to get a celebratory post up early.

Turning sixty is no small feat.  However, I have to say—I’m more impressed with the forty years of marriage.  Especially considering that my parents only got married when they were twenty:

(love the transparent photo overlay…hello, 1971!)

They were just babies!  My parents started dating when they were in high school, and got married in August of ‘71, the summer after their sophomore year in college at LSU.

When it comes to relationships, many people, like Paula Abdul and Skat Cat, believe in the saying “Opposites attract.”  It probably doesn’t work for all people, but my parents seem to prove the truth of this statement again and again.

Sidenote: how cute is my mom’s dress?!

When they were younger, my dad (on the right) was pretty bad-ass:

At least, it appears that he fancied himself so.  Dazed and Confused, anyone?  My dad was in a rock band called The Other Side.  He rocked side-burns and tight pants like it was nobody’s business.   From the stories we grew up hearing, it sounded like he was always getting into some sort of tomfoolery or shenanigans.

He was a bad-ass.

My mom, on the other hand, was…well, not:

She spent her summers going on church mission trips.  My mom is one of the most genuinely sweet people I know…although she’s really embraced her inner-bulldog in recent years– a fact for which no one likes to tease her more than my dad.

But then, teasing has always been at the heart of their relationship.  Witness: my dad’s note to my mom in their senior yearbook:

What can I say?  Being an ass is (and clearly has always been) my dad’s m.o.  Growing up, other parents called each other honey and sweetheart.  My dad called my mom “bird legs” and “dog face.”  I know that sounds awful—but it’s not.  It just…works.  My mom gives it back to my dad as much as she takes it (there’s a dirty joke in there somewhere, but I’m not going to go there).  And somehow, all of the teasing and jabs and back-and-forths translate into a relationship that is filled with inside jokes, and fun, and laughter, and, above all, love.

(I think that’s my dad’s blue steel face)

Forty years later, my parents are still teasing each other, and making each other laugh.  Hell, forget love—they still like each other.  Which, after forty years and two children, is no small feat:

In fact, the only bad thing about having parents like mine as an example of marriage is that the bar has been set pretty high.  I hope that Ryan and I are having as much fun as my parents are when we’re their age.  Forty years seems like a long time.  But then, I bet it sounded like a long time to my parents too, when they were just starting out:

And time flies when you’re in love, right? 🙂

Happy Anniversary, Mom and Dad!!!

1. August 12, 2011 4:20 pm

That was so sweet…I loved it! Congratulations to your parents on 40 years of marriage!

2. August 12, 2011 4:22 pm

Congratulations to your parents! I love all the photos! You look so much like your mom!

3. August 12, 2011 4:39 pm

What a fabulous post! Love it. And so funny b/c I was thinking her dress was pretty fab and then you said it. What on earth are they drinking in that photo? Looks like one crazy cocktail.

4. greensandjeans permalink
    August 12, 2011 5:07 pm

Such a beautiful post! And yes, I want all of your mom’s clothes. And for more people to do transparent photo overlays.

5. August 12, 2011 5:20 pm

What a sweet tribute to your parents. I love your mom’s blue dress, does she still have it? And, her veil is gorgeous! Happy anniversary to them!

6. Angela Gates Miller permalink
    August 12, 2011 5:23 pm

Love Love Loved that!!! And YES your parents are wonderful people and make an even more wonderful couple. An example we can all live by! Congrats!

7. August 12, 2011 5:26 pm

Congratulations on 40 years!!! Milestone anniversaries deserve alot of recognition because sadly it isn’t the way most marriages end up these days. Your mom is gorgeous — you look so much like her!

8. Emo permalink
    August 12, 2011 5:53 pm

Aww! Congratulations and Happy Birthday, Mr. and Mrs. Lowe! I bet your dad’s got one heck of a toast ready…and that he says, “I don’t do anything I don’t want to do.”
    Enjoy your trip!

9. Kev permalink
    August 12, 2011 6:00 pm

You always look just like your mom to me, but Picture # 8 is like you are a clone. I’ve seen you with that exact look on your face while perched at a bar with a glass of wine. Let’s hope that DNA helps you withstand the ravages of time like your mother has. Rrrr!

10. August 12, 2011 6:38 pm

Ok, I’m about to start crying and I’ve never even met you or your family (blame the pg hormones, I guess.) This is just so wonderful. Congratulations to you and your parents!

11. August 12, 2011 6:39 pm

This is such an adorable post! Love your Moms bow dress! Congrats & happy bday to them

12. August 12, 2011 7:25 pm

Aww!! Such a sweet post from my sweet, sweet girl!! Thanks so much – it made my cry! It has been quite a wild ride; so much fun! And, I can’t wait for our fun party!!

13. August 12, 2011 7:34 pm

Love this post. Congratulations to your parents.

14. August 12, 2011 7:59 pm

Happy Anniversary to them and yes, no pressure or anything for you and Ryan 🙂

I love these vintage pics…Such a TREASURE!

15. August 13, 2011 1:19 am

I love this story so much!! Congratulations to your parents! My parents are almost at their thirty year anniversary and it goes set the bar high!

16. August 13, 2011 5:51 am

What a sweet post, love the old pictures! Congrats to your parents!

17. August 13, 2011 1:41 pm

That’s awesome that your parents have been married 40 years. And that picture definitely looks like Dazed and Confused, when they’re outside of the emporium. (I used to watch that movie a lot!)

18. August 13, 2011 5:43 pm

hi i just recently discovered your blog! I’m an ex veggie but still eat mostly veggie meals. i LOVE this post!!! My parents have the same kind of wonderful marriage and I can relate to what you said about having the marriage bar set so high!! But what a wonderful example of what a marriage should be- thats my goal one day! Beautiful photos, thanks for sharing… amy

19. August 13, 2011 7:31 pm

This is such a cute post! I love the photo overlay pictures and all the throwbacks 🙂 Congrats to your parents!

20. August 14, 2011 3:09 am

Congrats to Ginger and Scott, and thanks for the fun post. Luv all of ya.

21. August 14, 2011 4:55 pm

Oh my gosh this gave me chills! Happy Anniversary to your parents! What a beautiful story. Tony and I got married at 20 and have been married now for 16 years. I feel stronger about him now than I did when we got married. Nobody believed we would make it, in fact the priest that married us whispered to us during the ceremony “don’t make a liar out of me”…funny how much faith people had in us. I love hearing real love stories and your parents seem to have such a great one. Enjoy your time with them Anna!

22. August 14, 2011 5:34 pm

Congratulations to your parents and Anna…you are a carbon copy of your mother! I can’t believe how beautiful you both are.

23. August 14, 2011 9:33 pm

This is the cutest thing ever! I love looking at old pictures, and these are so sweet – your mom’s wedding dress was amazing too!

24. August 15, 2011 1:11 am

Adorable! Let’s hope we’re all this happy on our 40th anniversary!

25. August 15, 2011 5:30 pm

This is such a wonderful post- happy anniversary to your parents! You look so much like your mom.

26. Erin permalink
    August 16, 2011 12:16 am

It’s always so wonderful to read about a happy relationship! Also, you look JUST like your mom. I think that photo of her in the short dress could have easily been you! Congratulations to them!

27. August 16, 2011 4:01 pm

Such a sweet anniversary post! Congratulations to your wonderful parents:-).

28. Stephanie Bragg permalink
    August 16, 2011 6:11 pm

what a sweet post to your parents. congrats on so many years together, that’s such an accomplishment!

29. August 16, 2011 11:31 pm

Such a cute story! Your parents look just as happy (if not more so) now than they did 40 years ago. That’s success, if you ask me!

I actually just got married this summer as a 20-year-old! I hope for 40 years with my husband!

30. August 17, 2011 4:39 pm

Stoppit. These are so cute I almost fell out of my chair.

31. August 18, 2011 4:14 am

This is such a beautiful story ..reminds me of this quote – it said ” If there is anything more beautiful than young love , its Old love ..”
    and the pictures priceless :))
    Happy 40th to your parents and may their love grow ever stronger with every passing year ..
    p.s – was blog hopping and found you 🙂

32. August 21, 2011 4:33 pm

I love your parents’ story and your mom’s look — it doesn’t scream ’70s to me. Love the veil and that dress — timeless. Maybe it was just the decade, but I know when I went to a friend’s house and her parents’ wedding photo was on display, I asked, “Is this 1982?”

They were like “yeah! how did you know?!”

Because my mother wore pretty much the exact same thing.

Before our wedding I looked at a lot of wedding photos when I would visit people in their offices and kinda pick and choose what not to do — I didn’t want anyone to look at my photos and say, “Oh, was this 2011?”

My grandparents’ 60th anniversary was two days after our wedding, which is how we chose the date. It’s crazy to think how fast time goes.