A Hike and a Bite

August 8, 2011

Monday, Monday…can’t trust that day.

True enough, Mama Cass.  True enough.

But Sunday?  Sunday is great! At least, ours was.

Yesterday, we headed up to Monte Sano State Park—a beautiful mountain park about ten minutes from our house.  We lead the dogs on a nice four mile hike…well actually, Ella lead us, as per usual.  It was HOT out though…so when we stopped for a break, she really had to cool her paws:

Lovely.  Ryan and Ella hydrated:

…while Baxter and I enjoyed the view:

DSC_0337 DSC_0339

monte sano

So pretty! I’m so happy to have this only ten minutes from our house!

When we got home, we collapsed into bed and took a two hours nap—yowza! When we woke up…it was dinnertime!  Time flies when you’re napping.

For dinner last night, I just kind of threw this together…but it ended up being REALLY good!!!

I started with this package of forbidden black rice that I got as a free giveaway when we were at the cooking demonstration at Lake Austin Spa:

Fancy! This package provided about a cup, which I boiled with 1 3/4 cup water and a pinch of salt.

As the rice was cooking, I pitted and quartered about a cup of Rainier cherries (my favorite):

Once the rice was done cooking, I added the cherries, plus a 1.5 cups frozen edamame—no need to thaw them, the hot rice does all the work! For a dressing, I simply mixed about 2 tbsp. plum vinegar, 1 tsp. sesame oil, and 3 tbsp. tamari.  Poured it over the salad, and voila:

black rice salad

black rice salad

Dinner!

This salad was SO good.  The black rice was really chewy, and the mixture of the sweet cherries with the tangy, salty dressing was seriously delicious.  Plus…it’s just so pretty!

black rice salad

Well, we’re off.  We have a teaching workshop this morning…and so it begins.  Sigh.   The only thing getting me through today is the thought of an AMAZING Jake and Vienna reunion tonight.  Oh, sweet Bachelor Pad.  You complete me.

1. August 8, 2011 12:37 pm

YAY!! Glad to know I am not the only one giving in to Bachelor Pad tonight!! 🙂

2. August 8, 2011 1:02 pm

Love salads with fruit in them! My pup completely immerses herself in mud puddles, so count yourself lucky that Ella just dabbled 🙂

3. August 8, 2011 1:05 pm

What a great hike! Love that the pups join you!! And that rice looks awesome- a vibrant meal!

4. August 8, 2011 2:03 pm

You rock at just ‘throwing together’ the best meals ever!! I would never have put this combo together, but it looks fantastic. Enjoy your Monday!

5. August 8, 2011 3:21 pm

Oh that’s awesome to have a nice place to hike so close. And that dish looks incredible. I would never have thought of apples!

6. Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance permalink
    August 8, 2011 3:54 pm

I just found your blog through Gina’s and I’m glad I made i in the nick of time to see this black rice.
    I’ve never even heard of the stuff (to be honest, I thought it was a picture of an antpile) but I’m very intrigued! Are the nutritional stats similar to white or jasmine?

7. August 8, 2011 4:00 pm

I think I might actually watch Bachelor Pad just to see the Jake & Vienna train wreck 😉

8. August 8, 2011 4:21 pm

I have been DYING to try black rice! The hue alone is just gorgeous and with the cherries and beans? yes please!!!!

Hope you had a fantastic weekend love! Happy monday!

9. August 8, 2011 8:29 pm

I want to try black rice so badly! It just looks so pretty 🙂 I have never thought to put cherries in a salad like that, great idea!

10. August 8, 2011 9:10 pm

Your dogs are adorable!

Your salad was such a beautiful combination of colors. Cherries, edamame and black rice? Yummm

11. August 8, 2011 9:34 pm

OH NICE!! the Bachelor Pad starts tonight….I forgot!! Wahhoo!! Oh man, how embarrassing.
    Thanks for the wonderful recipe. I have been looking for some simple rainier cherry recipes to do at work, while they are in-season. I bet it would taste just as good (or close!) with wild rice. Maybe??

• August 8, 2011 9:58 pm

I think it would taste really good with wild rice!

12. August 8, 2011 11:30 pm

OMG!! This looks divine!! How fresh and sweet at the same time….I am starving over here and this is what I could use right now…sigh!

xxoo

13. August 9, 2011 2:01 am

I squealed a little when I saw Bachelor Pad set on the DVR tonight!!! The husband is boycotting, his loss 😉

Trackbacks