Unpacking Life

August 3, 2011

That’s what moving feels like, right?  Box by box (by box by box), you slowly  unpack your life.

Exhausting.  🙂

Hello, friends, and greetings from Alabama! This is the longest break I’ve ever taken from blogging—over a week! In fact…I hope you’re still out there, dear readers…

*crickets* *crickets* *crickets*

The truth is, the past week has been all sorts of crazy.  Our movers came on Monday and got all of our stuff…on Wednesday, we headed down to Alabama with the dogs.  We stayed in a hotel until Saturday, when our things arrived.  What did we do between Wednesday and Saturday?

We painted, of course, because we’re crazy!

Actually, painting on Friday made a lot of sense—we knew we wanted to paint the kitchen from brown to yellow, and it was the perfect time to do it before we had any of our things or a refrigerator.

Logical, right?

Tell that to my paint-covered hair.

But, we love the way it turned out:

Wait, hang on…

That’s better!

When our stuff came on Saturday, it was SUPER hot in the house, but we just assumed it was because all of the doors in the house were open.  They were unloading boxes:

..and boxes:

…and boxes:

They were never-ending!  We stayed up late into the night on Saturday  unpacking, and noticed that, even with all the doors closed, the house was suspiciously…horrifyingly…unbearably…

HOT.

The ac was set on 60…and the room temp was 87.

Houston…we have a problem.

We turned it way down over Saturday night, hoping that on Sunday morning, we’d wake up to a cooler house.  Well, it was cooler.  It had cooled all the way down to a chilly 83 degrees.

Aaaaand, it was time to call an ac repairman.  Except it was Sunday…argh!  We had to wait until Monday, and so Sunday was spend unpacking in a sweaty heap of clothing.  I thought about forgoing clothes altogether, but then decided this might not be the best first impression to give our neighbors.

Luckily, despite the heat, slowly but surely, we began to get things unpacked.  Room by room, hour by hour…the house started to look like a home.  Our home.

The dining room is ready:

And so is the guest room (hint, hint):

complete with doll house (although I hear it’s dealing with a pest infestation)!

And, more importantly, the kitchen is done for the most part. After a week of eating out (and marveling at all the restaurants Huntsville has to offer), we are happy to be eating at home again:

…in our very own backyard, which the dogs are mightily enjoying:

Well, actually—Baxter prefers to stay on the deck with a cold drink:

A dog after my own heart:

It feels good to be blogging again.  And it feels even better to be blogging with ac—the repairman came on Monday afternoon and the house is now a chilly 68 degrees.

There might be some changes coming to the blog in the upcoming months…but I can’t think about that now. If I do, I’ll go crazy. I’ll think about that tomorrow…

One week in the South, and I’m already quoting Scarlett O’Hara like it’s nobody’s business.

Welcome back, y’all!

1. August 3, 2011 1:01 pm

Looking good! Love the yellow. Also, are guests allowed to play with the dollhouse? This may or may not be a deal breaker.

• August 3, 2011 1:08 pm

Will and Jodi are allowed to play with it, for sure. You and Ryan would have to be supervised…I don’t want it turning into a Batman/Dinosaur/Nerd house. Those kinds of houses are the worst.

2. August 3, 2011 1:01 pm

I love house tours – your new home looks lovely. How I wish I had a real yard for my dog! Best of luck as you keep unpacking your life!

3. August 3, 2011 1:23 pm

The place looks great! I love seeing inside people’s homes, and this one is gorgeous. We’re going through the “boxing everything we own” phase now, and it’s really painful, so I’m glad to see there’s an end in sight!

4. August 3, 2011 1:24 pm

Glad you guys are settled in; it may take a few years, but I’m sure you’ll get used to the heat.

5. August 3, 2011 1:35 pm

Your new place looks fantastic! Glad all went smoothly!! Have fun with the rest of your ‘settling in’.

6. August 3, 2011 1:47 pm

Your place looks awesome! Good job getting so much unpacked already! Enjoy getting settled into your new home 🙂

7. August 3, 2011 2:26 pm

Unpacking is definitely exhausting. I think when we moved, we ate pizza every day for a week.

8. August 3, 2011 2:35 pm

So glad you’re back! And the kitchen is ADORABLE!!!

9. mindy permalink
    August 3, 2011 2:36 pm

Yay! So happy to have you back in my life after a full week! 🙂 The house is looking great! I just noticed the Rooster pics in the kitchen… man, if only you had a really cool vintage rooster towel to match.

• August 3, 2011 2:50 pm

Oh, he’s just waiting to come out…he’s really going to complete our chicken/rooster theme that we have going on 🙂

10. August 3, 2011 2:52 pm

The house looks great! I love the dining room. Good luck on getting everything else settled.

11. August 3, 2011 2:52 pm

Happy to hear you all got there safely however AC-less in Alabama in August in NOT how I would wanty to be spending my days! At least you have some chilled wine 🙂

12. Stacey permalink
    August 3, 2011 3:21 pm

Welcome to Huntsville!! It has been HOT!!! Loved the rain we got on Saturday, though. :0) Hope you enjoy the town!

13. August 3, 2011 3:33 pm

Yay! Moving is so exciting! Next move, I want to go ahead and get all the painting out of the way. It’s so much more troublesome to go BACK and do that all later. Tell your hair that, anyways 😉 The dining room is STUNNING! I love it! Good luck with all those boxes!

14. August 3, 2011 4:16 pm

Your new digs look great already! Man, you are a fast unpacker!

15. August 3, 2011 4:37 pm

Yay, glad you made is safely! And just wow on tackling the kitchen painting before moving it – it’s totally logical, but I don’t think we would. 😛 Yellow looks great!

Sorry about the AC, hope it wasn’t pricey. We had the AC die in our Florida house a month after we moved in at the worst time possible – not a funr $3k bill.

16. August 3, 2011 5:11 pm

Congrats on moving!! Your house looks beautiful!!

17. August 3, 2011 8:11 pm

It all looks GREAT! I can’t wait to come visit and stay in that guest room (which will be sooner than you think!) Great job on the house. Also, it’s nice to have you blogging again – I missed it!

18. August 3, 2011 8:17 pm

Great job on the yellow kitchen!

19. August 3, 2011 8:58 pm

Welcome back! Your house looks great. I’m glad the whole AC sitch got fixed- that must have been brutal!

I am going to be unpacking my life as well come Sunday/Monday. Lots of organizing to do!

20. August 3, 2011 9:37 pm

Yayyy welcome back to blogging darling! ❤ I feel your packing and unpacking pain — well the unpacking part is in my future. but i'm on move #2 this year so tah-rust me I getcha! ❤

hope you have a relaxing weekend in store! =)

your new place looks awesome!!! can't wait for more photos! xoxo

21. August 3, 2011 11:48 pm

Oh Anna, that place looks amazing and I’m so glad you are back in action. I’m still all over the place and it’s not getting any better right now. I’m so wanting my own place, but we are still looking for the right place. Welcome to the south! It’s freakin’ HOT!

22. patti permalink
    August 4, 2011 12:01 am

So glad you are back to blogging.
    Your house looks great and it’s nice to know you are getting settled.

23. August 4, 2011 1:38 pm

YAY!!! I can not even fathom doing what you guys did without AC! You are a trooper!

24. August 5, 2011 12:49 am

Impressed (but not surprised!) that you’re so settled in already. Looks like Ella and Baxter are enjoying the new digs, too!

25. August 5, 2011 3:18 am