So long… farewell… auf wiedersehen…

July 24, 2011

Goodbye!

Hi friends! Sorry for disappearing for the past few days…truth be told, I’ll probably disappear for the next few days as well.  We returned home from Oregon late Thursday night, and have been packing ever since.  The movers come tomorrow (Monday), and we’ll probably drive down to Huntsville on Tuesday or Wednesday.  Our stuff won’t arrive until Saturday…but I think we’ll be able to stay busy.  🙂

Since I probably won’t be posting for a while, I thought I’d do a big final goodbye post from PA…because it won’t be our home for very much longer.  :-(

No one is more surprised that I used the sad-faced emoticon there than me.  Trust me, when we first moved to Altoona, I was not excited to be here.  Slowly but surely though, this place won us over.  We made some great friends and have had fun adventures in PA and beyond during our time here.

The fun started with our house:

house 024

house 023

That’s us on our move-in day! I love this house, and I’m very sad to be leaving it behind.

Sidenote: if you’re looking for a house in central PA, I know a great one that’s for sale.

As we started exploring the area, we found that central Pennsylvania was full of all sorts of gems…

like hiking trails:

camping 018

PA grand canyon 028

And bike trails:

horseshoe curve 020

bike ride 019

bike ride 038

…and even wineries:

horseshoe curve 004

The truth is, Altoona might not be Lovely…or Pleasantville…

bike ride 024

…but central PA definitely has a beauty all its own.  The falls here are stunning, and on many fall weekends, we’d simply hop in the car and drive, taking in the view:

covered bridges 078

covered bridges 102

As lovely as the falls were, they never could prepare me for the winters we had here.  Winters were the bane of my existence during our first year in PA.  I hated the snow boots, the swerving cars, the dirty snow, the black ice…and especially the fact that Baxter refused to pee outside.

blog 051

Even so, winters in PA have a certain beauty as well.  If you can get past the fact that you can’t feel your toes and just look around, the scenes of winter are stunning:

blog 045

But I have to admit, I never did quite get used to looking outside of our window and seeing this:

blog 022

In March.

When we first moved here, I thought it was scary that we would be spending our first years as a married couple in a city, state, and area of the country where we essentially knew no one.  In the end though, I’ll always be happy that we spent our first years as newlyweds in Altoona.  It brought us together as a couple— after all, we had no one but each other (and the dogs, of course).  We didn’t have the distractions that a big city would offer…and many nights, our big social event was a game of scrabble between the two of us.

new pics 492

new pics 338

Still, I think those nights made us stronger.  As I told Ryan—if we made it through two Pennsylvania winters without killing each other, we can make it through anything.

So thanks, Pennsylvania, for hosting us for the past two years.  I won’t miss the snow, and I never did get to try scrapple…but we made friends here that I will hold dear for the rest of my life, and too many memories to count.

And now…on to the next chapter…

1. July 24, 2011 2:12 pm

Awesome goodbye post! Can’t wait for the next chapter. Safe travels!

2. July 24, 2011 2:45 pm

Yay for new adventures, although I’m sad I won’t be able to talk with you in person about LC’s break up the next time I’m in State College…

• July 24, 2011 3:22 pm

Oh, distance can’t keep us from talking about LC 🙂

Sent from my iPhone

3. July 24, 2011 3:33 pm

PA is such a gorgeous state, I agree. Though I think leaving it for somewhere perenially warm wouldn’t be too bad 🙂 Good luck with the move!!

4. July 24, 2011 3:56 pm

Wow, can’t blame you for not blogging – busy girl! Sweet post and gorgeous pictures. I’d probably feel the same about PA winters, I love being able to drive up to the snow when I feel like it and stay in our nice, snow-free vally when I don’t. 🙂 This post reminds me of how I felt leaving Florida, still sad even though I knew we were moving on to the next adventure and closer to my family. Hope the move goes well and hang in there!

5. Sarah permalink
    July 24, 2011 4:53 pm

Anna,

I feel like I could have written this post about Lafayette. Now that we’re preparing to move, the city we loved to hate, then hated to love, has become our home. We had the same fears about starting our marriage away from family and friends, but now are thankful for the opportunities and challenges it gave us as a young couple and family. We’re from Louisville and will always call that home, but we grew up in Lafayette.

Good luck to you, Ryan, Ella, and Baxter on the next leg of yr journey. I look forward to following yr adventures on the blog ( yr travel tales make this stay at home mom drool w envy) and hope our paths cross again soon.

Sarah

6. July 24, 2011 5:13 pm

Great “goodbye” post 🙂 I know what you mean about central PA, I spent my 4 yrs of college there. I never got to appreciate it though like you guys did 😉
    Good luck with the move!

7. July 24, 2011 8:25 pm

I love the goodbye post…and I’ve been reading along with all your PA adventures for the past 2 yrs but knowing you and you long term goals, I am SO HAPPY for you guys to be moving somewhere…warmer! 🙂

8. July 24, 2011 8:27 pm

Central PA is definitely beautiful. I’ve lived in NY and PA my entire life so I actually enjoy the snow, but walking to class in State College in it was NOT enjoyable! I hope your move goes smoothly, good luck 🙂

9. Kristina permalink
    July 24, 2011 11:34 pm

Such a beautiful post! And its making me super homesick — I moved from western New York (which looks a lot like central PA, but a little less hilly) to Colorado in January. Fall was my favorite season back home too!

10. July 24, 2011 11:38 pm

Those photos of Ryan without a beard are scary.
    Good luck on the move!

• July 25, 2011 12:15 am

Haha…I think so too! He can’t ever shave it now!

11. July 24, 2011 11:50 pm

ahhh I understand/relate x10000! P moved me from my crazy busy life to a tiny boring rural area that I thought would make me absolutely nutso! But it worked! and the marriage stayed strong with nights in playing scrabble and cooking together just like you crazy kids =)

hooray for the next chapter for both of us!

well… i’m moving to a retirement town in a month soo…. bahhh!!!! lol

12. July 25, 2011 11:59 am

Suchh a great post!! And yes…I LOVE your house too!!! I hope this bext chapter is a blast! 🙂

13. July 25, 2011 2:08 pm

I hope you have a safe move! Central PA is definitely a UNIQUE spot and can be totally gorgeous- especially in the spring & fall.

14. Stacey permalink
    July 25, 2011 2:11 pm

Good luck with the movers and safe travels! Huntsville is cooling down a tad and we are supposed to have storms the first part of the week. Hopefully it will be lovely when you arrive!

15. July 26, 2011 2:19 am

Oh Anna, good luck with the move. I know it’s scary, trust me, but I’m sure it will be worth it in the end!

16. patti permalink
    July 26, 2011 2:39 pm

What a great post reviewing your 2 years in PA -lots of good memories and good pictures. Now on to your next adventure. Have a safe trip.

17. July 26, 2011 5:24 pm

What a great farewell post. Good luck on your move ~ safe travels!