Things I’ll Miss About Altoona, Pt. One: Friendly’s

July 12, 2011

Do you know Friendly’s?

I didn’t, until I moved here.  Any restaurant whose tagline is “Where ice cream makes the meal” is okay by me.

At Friendly’s, you don’t just order ice cream.  You go all out.  At a normal ice cream place, you might just get a scoop of raspberry sorbet, or some Joe Shmoe low-fat fro yo (there’s that poetry degree, folks).

At Friendly’s, you get something like this:

Or this:

Or even this:

And you don’t feel bad about it.  Because Friendly’s is a magical land of hot fudge and banana splits and unicorns.

Okay, maybe not unicorns.  But definitely the other two.  And maybe unicorns.  Who knows?  Anything can happen at Friendly’s.  But what usually happens is this:

1.  You open the menu and peruse the plain ice cream selections, just for kicks.  Maybe just some low-fat vanilla ice cream?

2.  You order the sundae you knew you were going to order the minute your friends called and said, “Wanna get ice cream?”

3.  Your sundae arrives and you swear that there’s no way– NO WAY– you’ll be able to eat the whole thing.

4.  You eat the whole thing.

5.  You leave holding your distended belly, swearing to just order a single scoop of low-fat vanilla ice cream next time.

6.  Wait three days.  Repeat.

I’ll miss you, Friendly’s.   But my skinny jeans won’t.

1. July 12, 2011 1:23 pm

Friendly’s is a magical place. Even though I couldn’t eat 98% of the menu now, I’m glad it was in my childhood.

2. July 12, 2011 1:43 pm

I havent seen a Friendlys in years but feel like I must go search for one now. I am all for an ice cream based meal!

3. July 12, 2011 1:50 pm

LOL – love this and your poetry degree 😉

4. July 12, 2011 2:56 pm

Oh, I know Friendly’s all too well! We had them around growing up in NY. Their ice cream is great, but after having many friends who worked there in hs, I never wanted to eat there again after their “kitchen stories”.

5. July 12, 2011 3:24 pm

I could use a sundae right now! What a great place!

6. July 12, 2011 3:49 pm

Yes, that sounds about right. In fact, I was holding my full belly for at least an hour after we got home last night. And when I say full, I’m not referring to the growing baby, I’m talking about the insane amount of ice cream I consumed. So worth it, though!

7. July 12, 2011 3:53 pm

OMG OMG OMG FRIENDLY’S!!!!
    i always go back when i am in NJ. fribbles!

8. July 12, 2011 7:15 pm

Don’t forget the Fribbles!

9. July 12, 2011 7:16 pm

Friendly’s. Such a southern thing. I remember them from our time in the Carolinas 🙂

10. July 12, 2011 7:17 pm

Well and maybe not just southern but I have never seen them in MN, IL, CA, or AZ (just some of the other states I’ve lived)

good luck with your move too girl!

• July 12, 2011 7:57 pm

Ha– funny! I always thought they were an east coast thing!

11. July 12, 2011 8:11 pm

I haven’t been to Friendly’s in so long! (Maybe it’s a good thing?!)

12. July 12, 2011 9:50 pm

Sorry about Friendly’s. Those are the types of places though definitely make memories forever! I can’t wait to meet up with you though! I will actually be driving Tony to Huntsville and back at the end of August…will you be there then?

13. July 12, 2011 10:48 pm

I can’t believe you hadn’t heard of Friendly’s until you moved to Altoona! I just assumed they were everywhere. I haven’t been there in so long but it’s nice to know I have to option- their peanut butter cup sundaes are the best!

14. July 12, 2011 11:10 pm

Funny on Friendly’s, I lived near one in Florida and it was the hangover spot. 🙂 But my sister worked at it as a waitress for awhile and I never felt the same about it after. 🙂

15. July 13, 2011 1:57 am

Oh my gosh I used to get those conehead sundaes ALL the time as a kid. And even in high school actually! Haha. I haven’t been to one in so long but this just gave me a real hankering to go!

16. July 13, 2011 4:43 am

Friendly’s kind of reminds me of Ruby’s Diner…the milkshakes look fabulous!

Sorry I’m a bit late here Anna but I’m really sorry about your grandmother! I hope you are doing okay under the circumstances!

17. July 13, 2011 6:58 am

bahahaha! I’ve seen them before but never knew what a Friendly’s is! now I know. and now i’m terribly glad there isnt one here either! well.. ok not terribly glad… i do want dessert everyso often =) like NOW!

18. July 13, 2011 6:59 pm

hahaha. When I was in middle school we used to go to Friendlys all the time. We’d get the peanut butter cup sundaes. Dear lord….I remember thinking my tummy was going to explode after eating that thing!

19. July 14, 2011 12:30 am

Please don’t forget
    Sheetz
    Eat n Park
    The Meadows
    Knickerbocker Tavern

20. greensandjeans permalink
    July 14, 2011 2:31 am

There are definitely unicorns AND fairies at Friendly’s

21. July 14, 2011 12:01 pm

“You swear you will not eat the whole thing…” been there done that. 🙂 It’s just never true.

22. July 14, 2011 1:11 pm

YUM! I haven’t ever even heard of Friendlys!

23. July 15, 2011 3:02 am

I have one word: Fribble.

(that’s what they’re called right? I haven’t been to Friendly’s in years.)

• July 15, 2011 12:24 pm

Oh, that’s what they’re called alright 🙂

24. December 17, 2014 1:04 pm

Irrespective of where your home is, it is likely that we can expose you to an incredible tutor in your neighborhood.
    You can take classes inside your home’s solitude or at your teacher’s location. By looking inside your zipcode to find
    teachers towards you start. As far as neighborhood vs. game.
    You’ll never entirely duplicate streets while in the gymnasium.
    & most definitely not inside your roleplaying krav maga gym.