Sad Day

July 4, 2011

Hi friends.  This morning, we woke up to some sad news: my maternal grandmother passed away last night.  We’re all still in a bit of a shock around here.  She was 86 and had gone through some health struggles in the past few years, but really seemed to be doing well in recent months.

We’ll be cutting the trip short and returning to Louisiana in a few days…but in a way, it feels right to be in Harbour Island right now.  My grandmother loved this house and this island with all her heart, and it’s a place that I will always, always associate with her.  She was the one who decided to buy this house, in 1980:

…and my grandparents spent many months out of the year here, hosting friends and family.  When I took my first trip here as a six month-old baby:

…my grandmother was right there with me.   Growing up, I always thought of my grandmother as the most glamorous woman alive.  She sang opera, and drove a red convertible, and owned a race horse.  I thought she was stunning:

..and I still do.  Even as she grew older, she remained beautiful and elegant.  Her final trip to Harbour Island was for our wedding, and even though she had just dealt with the death of my grandfather, she lived it up on the dance floor:

DA0522090626

…and looked as beautiful as ever:

GR0522090106

It’s still very hard to believe that she’s gone.

DIN052109188

GP0522090337

Nanny, this goombay’s for you.

1. July 4, 2011 7:05 pm

Your grandmother was quite a lady. I so enjoyed meeting her on the island. Much love to you and your family.

2. July 4, 2011 7:37 pm

So so so sorry about your grandmother 😦 I’m sure you’re going to miss her so much but maybe you can take comfort in the knowledge that she’s being reunited with your grandfather! I’ll be praying for your family!

3. July 4, 2011 7:42 pm

Anna, I am so very very sorry for your loss.

These pictures and tribute to her are beautiful and I am here for you and sending my deepest empathy to you and your family.

Major hugs 🙂

4. July 4, 2011 7:43 pm

So sorry Anna. My heart goes out to you and your family.

5. July 4, 2011 7:48 pm

So sorry for your loss Anna. Thoughts & prayers are with you.

6. July 4, 2011 7:55 pm

oh sweetie, i am so so sorry. she seems like such an amazing woman, and what an awesome legacy to have in your family! praying for you sweet Anna.

7. July 4, 2011 9:28 pm

Oh my, I am so incredibly sorry to hear this news. I loved this post and all the pictures of her though. A truly amazing tribute that I think she would love and appreciate. Hugs to you.

8. July 4, 2011 9:50 pm

I am so, so sorry for your loss. Thinking of you and praying for you!

9. anita permalink
    July 4, 2011 10:38 pm

Anna,
    Emily and I just read your post. We send your family our love and sympathy. We loved your description of her.

10. Kim permalink
    July 4, 2011 11:10 pm

So sorry for your loss. Sending thoughts and prayers to you and your family.

11. July 5, 2011 12:54 am

Oh Anna, I’m so sorry for your loss. She looks like such a beautiful, elegant and loving lady. You’ll be in my thoughts.

12. patti permalink
    July 5, 2011 4:01 am

Anna, we were sad to hear about the death of your grandmother. From the pictures and your memories, it is easy to see that she was a special lady. I am so glad we got to meet her at your wedding. Your family is in our thoughts and prayers

13. July 5, 2011 4:52 am

So sorry for your loss. This is such a sweet post, she looks like a wonderfully fun lady!

14. Elyssa permalink
    July 5, 2011 11:51 am

Anna, I’m so sorry to hear about your grandmother. Seeing photos of her, I see where you got so much of your beauty and poise. Sending love to you and your family. xoxoxo

15. July 5, 2011 12:04 pm

Your grandma was beautiful! So sorry for your loss.

16. July 5, 2011 1:13 pm

Anna, i am so so sorry for your loss and I am also sorry it was such a shock. My heart and prayers are with you and your entire family right now.

17. July 5, 2011 1:51 pm

Anna- so sorry to hear about your grandmother. Her pictures are beautiful and in some way it seems nice you are all at the house she bought years ago to mourn her loss and remember her.

18. July 5, 2011 3:01 pm

I’m so sorry to hear about the loss of your grandmother. She looks like she was a truly special woman, and a beautiful one to boot! I hope your memories and family will help you through this difficulty time. My thoughts are with you.

19. July 5, 2011 3:02 pm

So sorry for your loss!! Praying for you and your family right now, peace to you all.

20. July 5, 2011 3:43 pm

Anna, I’m so sorry for your loss. You and your family are in my thoughts. You look like you have beautiful memories of her. Hold them close to your heart ♥.

21. July 5, 2011 4:38 pm

I’m so sorry to hear about your loss. Hang in there and keep the memories alive!

22. July 5, 2011 5:36 pm

Oh Anna, so sorry to hear about your grandmother. Thanks for sharing all the vintage photos–she looked like a fun lady with a lot of sass! Glad you were with your family when you got the news though, my thoughts are with you all.

23. July 5, 2011 7:07 pm

I am so sorry, Anna. Your nanny sounds like an absolutely amazing woman.

24. July 5, 2011 8:13 pm

So sorry to hear 😦

25. July 5, 2011 11:40 pm

I’m so sorry to hear of your loss. Your grandmother looks like a truly FABULOUS woman. And you can rest assured she and your grandpa are now able to enjoy a goombay together.

26. Laura Ann permalink
    July 6, 2011 3:28 am

I’m so sorry for your loss. She looks like quite an amazing woman.

27. July 6, 2011 5:01 am

I am so sorry for your loss. Your Grandma looked like an amazing woman.

28. July 6, 2011 1:00 pm

I’m so sorry for your loss! She was definitely a beautiful, classy, amazing lady.

29. July 6, 2011 2:15 pm

So sorry to hear the news about your grandmother, Anna. But what a sweet tribute to her. I hope you all have safe travels to Louisiana and continue to celebrate the wonderful life she lived!

30. July 6, 2011 3:27 pm

I’m so sorry to hear of your loss 😦 Your grandmother sounds like an amazing woman. Keeping you and your family in my prayers this week.

31. July 6, 2011 10:03 pm

So sorry to hear about your Grandmother. I’m sure she will be greatly missed. Take care.

32. July 7, 2011 3:02 am

Oh Anna, I’m so sorry for your loss. My thoughts are with you and your family. I’m sending so many hugs your way.

33. Kev permalink
    July 7, 2011 12:22 pm

This made me cry. I’m so sorry about your grandmother. Call me if you want to talk.

34. greensandjeans permalink
    July 10, 2011 12:17 pm

Your grandmother sounded like a truly fantastic woman. Lots of positive thoughts and love for you and your family

35. July 14, 2011 12:28 am

I’m sorry to hear of your grandma’s death. Wow, was she stunning! The resemblance between her, your mom, your sister and you is uncanny!

She sounds like someone I would love to have known.

• July 14, 2011 3:06 am