Beach Baby, Beach Baby

June 27, 2011

Hi friends! Greetings from Harbour Island, Bahamas!  As I said in my previous post, I’ll be here for the next two weeks.  It won’t be all play—I’ll be teaching from here for my online classes.  But, teaching isn’t so bad when you’re doing it while looking at this view:

Harbor Island holds a very special place in my heart—my grandparents bought a house here in 1981, so I’ve been coming on family vacations here since I was just a babe like Sophie.

Then, 26 years after my first trip here, Ryan and I got married on this island!

GP0522090305

Ryan won’t be coming until next Friday, and neither will my sister’s hub Kevin, so right now it’s just me, my sister and my parents.  With one new addition, of course:

Beach baby Sophie!  I promise, I’ll try to contain myself on the Sophie pics…but how can you not love a face like this?

So sweet.

One of the perks of staying in a house is cooking.  Last night, we made lobster risotto:

And (are you even surprised at this point?) a chocolate pie:

I think I might be developing a pie obsession.  They’re just so (dangerously) easy to make!

This chocolate pie recipe is too easy not to share.  I used a store-bought pie shell (baked at 400 degrees for 10 minutes).  Then, over low heat, I combined:

3 eggs

1 cup sugar

1/3 cup cocoa

1/3 cup flour

4 tbsp. butter

2 cups milk

2 tsp. vanilla

and whisked until thick, about twenty minutes.  Then, I poured the filling into the shell, cooled for a few hours in the fridge, and topped with whipped cream.

Actually, my sous chef did the topping:

Nice work!

Pie number three was a big success, but seriously…somebody needs to cut me off.

Off to the beach! Have a great Monday!

1. June 27, 2011 12:30 pm

Um, I’d gladly telecommute from that location! Kinda jealous. I can’t believe how big Sophie is getting!

2. June 27, 2011 12:53 pm

awww sophie! My in-laws have group vacations and rent houses with kitchens so we can do just that! Its uber relaxing =) enjoy ze beach!

and is it odd that I am singing your title Bloodhound gang style? for some reason it made me think of the song bad touch! haha!

3. June 27, 2011 1:08 pm

Oh keep the Sophie pictures coming!!! She is so sweet!!

4. June 27, 2011 1:41 pm

Awww…your neice is absolutely adorable. I LOVE being an aunt!! That pie looks delish – we’re having brunch on Friday (it’s Canada Day, eh!) and I think I’m adding this, or maybe your strawberry pie!, to my menu. Happy Monday!

5. June 27, 2011 7:14 pm

How cool that this place is SO special to you! Looks just gorgeous. And how cute is Sophie? mmm lobster risotto? I am SO jealous!

6. June 27, 2011 11:48 pm

omg that pie looks stunning!

as are all your ocean photos and adorable!! sophie!

7. June 28, 2011 12:33 am

Wow you really do live quite the jetsetting life. So jealous! I love vacations where you can cook also!

8. June 28, 2011 4:58 am

I’m so jealous of all your cool travels, amazing pictures! The pie looks fabulous!

9. June 28, 2011 1:19 pm

Risotto, chocolate pie and Sophie…perfect vacation!

10. patti permalink
    June 28, 2011 3:52 pm

II hope you will make a pie for us when you are in Oregon 🙂

11. JenATX permalink
    August 30, 2011 3:48 am

your sis is so lucky to have you take all those gorgeous pics of sophie!

Trackbacks