Race Against Time

June 21, 2011

Happy Tuesday, friends!

We’ve been busy beavers over here, cleaning out the house for hours.  Our new house in Huntsville is MUCH smaller than our house in Altoona.  Basically, when we moved from Indiana to Pennsylvania, we didn’t have to get rid of anything—even things that we definitely should have.  We held onto clothes, furniture, kitchen gear—all sorts of things that we didn’t need or use—simply because we had the space.

Well, now (or in the near future), that space is GONE! And so, we’ve been going room by room, clearing out clothing from 1998 (what up, butterfly tank top?), kitchen items we don’t use (do we really need 4 omelet pans? I mean, I guess we could set up our own omelet station when guests stay with us, which would be kind of cool…), and, most importantly, random shit memorabilia (Goodbye, Alf doll.  Goodbye, drinking glass shaped like a boot.  Oh, Saved By The Bell board game…I think I’ll miss you most of all!).

Anyway, when dinnertime finally rolled around last night, we were definitely ready for a break.  We whipped up an easy stir-fry…and I couldn’t resist doing a little “cleaning out” during the cooking process.  We have a pretty full pantry, and we’re trying to eat down our dry goods…it feels like a race against the clock to see how much quinoa, rice, and pasta we can consume in the next month.  Tonight, I threw a package of kelp noodles into the stir-fry…that’s one less package to take to Alabama!

Our stir-fry contained: mushrooms, peas, red bell pepper strips, tofu, kelp noodles, and ginger.  For the sauce, I simple combined equal parts tamari and stir-fry sauce, and watered it down with a bit of water:

Kelp noodles have great crunch, but they also get nice and plump when they’re sauteed in a little bit of liquid.  They were a great addition to this meal!

Okay…more housework on the agenda today. Hi ho, hi ho!

1. June 21, 2011 1:08 pm

yay for kelp noodles!! I am all out – need to restock 🙂 Good luck with all the housework!!

2. June 21, 2011 1:12 pm

I love challenging myself to clean out the pantry. How does all that stuff get in there anyway?! Good luck with the sorting, tossing and organizing!

3. June 21, 2011 1:24 pm

It’s amazing how much junk we can accumulate over time! I just went through my clothes and got rid of 2 full garbage bags ~ and my closets are still full!! That stirfry looks delicious; I’ve never seen kelp noodles before. Happy Packing!

4. June 21, 2011 1:51 pm

I hate deciding what to get rid of and what to keep! It always feels better afterwards though. And yay for cleaning out the pantry!

5. June 21, 2011 1:58 pm

I have a confession, I am the opposite of a hoarder, I LOVE to get rid of things! Seriously, my favorite thing to do is clean out my closet of shoes and clothes, then go by knew ones 🙂 Or even just get rid of things and send them off to Goodwill. I don’t know why it’s such a thrill for me…..I’m overly organized!

I’ve never tried (or even heard of) kelp noodles. I’m guessing they are a bood source of omega-3, and iodine, perhaps? I’m surprised no one at the store has asked me about these!

6. June 21, 2011 2:09 pm

Hilarious you mentioned clearing out OLD clothes…I did that just yesterday. We moved them all (well, movers did…THANK GOD) a year ago, and we finally ran out of hangers (I kid you not, the 2 of us fill FOUR BIG walk-in closets). Pathetic. I cleared out at least 1/2!! 🙂

7. June 21, 2011 2:45 pm

Isn’t such a good feeling to get rid of stuff!!! I got rid of over 10 bags of clothes I hadn’t worn in a year!

8. June 21, 2011 2:56 pm

Looks so delicious and colorful!

9. June 21, 2011 2:57 pm

It makes me feel better that other people have random things like that too. Our house is way bigger than we need right now for the 2 of us and I find myself keeping stuff just because we have the room. Cleaning out the guest bedroom closets might be in order soon!

10. June 21, 2011 3:09 pm

Good luck on the clean out. It really does feel so good to get rid of stuff though. Your eats looks like perfect fuel to get you through!

11. June 21, 2011 3:21 pm

LOL – girl I keep crap like that too – we have an original Nintendo for crying out loud AND a boot shaped beer mug of course. Sometimes it feels so good to unload all of that unnecessary stuff though. And that stir fry – hello awesomeness.

12. June 21, 2011 3:26 pm

I NEED to find kelp noodles! They just sound so tasty 🙂

13. June 21, 2011 4:30 pm

I think Saved By The Bell board game will be a collector’s item. Probably put your kids through college with it. LOL

14. June 21, 2011 6:28 pm

Love the Saved By The Bell game, that could be worth money on eBay! 🙂 The stir fry looks great, I’ve never tried stir frying kelp noodles – yum!

15. June 21, 2011 7:51 pm

moving and decluttering is such a joy, isnt it 🙂

the vibrancy of the colors just POPS off the page, Anna! Love the pics and recipe!

16. greensandjeans permalink
    June 21, 2011 8:14 pm

Saved By the Bell board game?! Send that to Philly!

17. Erin permalink
    June 21, 2011 11:23 pm

I try to live by this when it comes to stuff in my house: “Keep nothing that you don’t know to be useful or beautiful.” However, someday I hope to have a garage or basement so I can store memorabilia type things that I just can’t part with!

18. June 22, 2011 12:33 am

ahhh busy girl! Good luck pairing down and transitioning girl! =) RIP boot glass!

19. June 22, 2011 10:32 am

I fear moving solely for the reason of having to clean out and organize a bunch of stuff. Luckily we don’t plan on moving for a good while. Unluckily that means I know we will only accumulate more junk. LOL

20. June 22, 2011 12:26 pm

Hahaha butterfly tank top. I think we all had a few of those!

21. June 22, 2011 4:35 pm

I get rid of stuff every week. Every week! That way, when I finally get to move out of LA I won’t have a ton of stuff to take to our new place. 🙂

22. June 22, 2011 7:18 pm

You guys will feel SO awesome once you’re done with the cleaning! Getting rid of stuff is so cleansing. What a yummy looking dinner. Stir fry is totally my go to

23. June 22, 2011 7:31 pm

Your post made me laugh. I have moved so many times over the past 14 years I’m constantly cleaning out my closet. But I still always come across things that make me laugh!

I love kelp noodles! I just had them for the first time a couple weeks ago and thought they were great!

24. Kid permalink
    June 23, 2011 3:44 am

Noooooo!!! Don’t do it! I still regret getting rid of my Alf doll! I still have the Saved By the Bell game, by the way. Some things are forever… Best of luck to you!