Memorial Day Curse

May 29, 2011

Hi friends! Happy long weekend!

First off, thanks SO much for all of your kind words about our upcoming move—we’re very excited about this next step! Like with any big move, there are definitely things (and people) we’re sad to be leaving, but we’re really looking forward to seeing what Huntsville has in store for us!

Moving on…Ryan has been gone all weekend.  He left for a conference (nerd alert!!!) on Thursday, and on Thursday night, I began to feel an all-too-familiar tickle in my throat.  I hate it when I feel a tickle in my throat, because it only means one thing: in about 12 hours, I’m going to be downright miserable.  It reminds me of this season’s How I Met Your Mother finale, when Marshall just knows that food poisoning is on the way.  “I can see exactly three hours into my future, and it doesn’t…look…good.”

Sure enough, Friday morning, I woke up with all sorts of drainage.  You wanted to know that, right?

If there’s anything worse than being sick on the first holiday weekend of the summer, it’s being sick alone on the first holiday weekend of the summer.

Actually, let me correct myself: if there’s anything worse than being sick alone on the first holiday weekend of the summer, it’s realizing that you were also sick alone on the first holiday weekend of last summer.

That’s right.

As I trudged my sorry, pajama bottom-wearing butt to Rite-Aid to pick up my sickness necessities (magazines, sudafed, vitamin water, and diet cherry seven-up, if you were wondering), I realized that the scene felt a little too familiar.

With the help of the blog, I cast my memory back to exactly one year ago, and realized that the feeling of deja vu I was having wasn’t just a hallucination brought on by my cocktail of Nyquil, Sprite, and Emergen-C.  I did, in fact, have the exact same thing happen on Memorial Day weekend of last year

Sigh.

Just as I did last time, I spent most of this weekend holed up in my bed with my poor, bored dogs as my nurse-aids.  Don’t ever ask a cattle dog to rub your back—her technique will be totally off.

After a weekend of meals that included smoothies, cereal, and mashed up banana on toast, feeling about 90% better this morning, I  headed to the store in search of actual food.  I wanted to make something real, but also something that would take less than 10 minutes to throw together for lunch or dinner.  Enter: the antipasto bar.  I picked up a mix-and-match of antipasto goodies—roasted red peppers, peperoncini, olives, mozzarella, roasted garlic—all kinds of good stuff!

Then, when I got home, all I needed to do for this easy pasta salad was boil some water and throw together a dressing.

For the dressing, I made this super-simple (and super-healthy) basil-red pepper dressing:

This is 1 roasted red pepper (courtesy of the antipasto bar) plus about a cup of fresh basil, a tbsp. of olive oil, a tbsp. of balsamic vinegar, and 2 tbsp. of water (you can use more or less, depending on the consistency you want), blended in the food processor until smooth.

I actually think with a few tweaks, this “dressing” could be turned into a delicious cold summer soup!

Then, it was time to chop up the antipasto and throw it all together:

Seriously could not be easier, and will last in the fridge for at least a few days!

All that “not really cooking” kind of wore me out, actually.  I think it’s time to take a nap.  Hopefully tomorrow I’ll be back at 100%!

Happy Sunday!

1. May 29, 2011 9:31 pm

i love your pasta pictures and that dressing looks RIGHT up my alley!!!

sorry you are sick, and alone.
    that would mimic most of my holiday/spring breaks in college or work vacations..i get so excited to be off work or school and would wind up sick.

hang in there!

2. May 29, 2011 9:51 pm

girl, i woke up yesterday with some major stomach issues…i had so many things planned to do that i was stoked about and ended up spending 95% of the day laying on the couch watching everything we had recorded on DVR. i hope you get better ASAP!

3. mgutowsk permalink
    May 30, 2011 1:22 am

Hope you feel better soon Anna! At least you didn’t get sick in France!!!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE antipasto!

4. May 30, 2011 5:00 am

First of all, congratulations on your move! I am so excited for you and 50 inches less of snow!!

It’s weird, I totally get sick every Thanksgiving…I guess we all have our own special sick moments?? Feel better Anna!

5. May 30, 2011 10:30 am

I’m sorry you’re sick!! Memorial Day Weekend is overdone, anyway 😉 Hopefully you’ll be better by the time Ryan gets back!!

6. May 30, 2011 1:22 pm

Wait! I just realized that you are moving about an hour away from where I’m moving! I’ve haven’t announced anything on my blog yet, but we are moving in a couple of weeks to TN! I just got a little more excited about moving! I hope you feel better soon Anna. Sorry you were alone and not well. That makes it worse. Get some rest and hopefully you will be all better today!

• May 30, 2011 3:51 pm

Ahhh, that makes me even MORE excited!!!!

• May 30, 2011 5:43 pm

When are you guys actually moving?

• May 30, 2011 5:45 pm

Probably towards the end of July, early August at the latest. What about y’all?

• May 30, 2011 6:05 pm

We are moving in a couple of weeks. Jay starts school there at the end of July so we need to go ahead and get settled. We will be living in the small town where Tony grew up. His parents and his sister’s family live there. We are going to get land, but we need to sell our place first. The closest big cities are Huntsville, Nashville and Chattanooga. Huntsville will be our retail retreat!

• May 30, 2011 6:10 pm

That is SO exciting!!! We’ll have to meet up when we both get settled!!

• May 30, 2011 6:12 pm

Definitely!

7. May 30, 2011 2:57 pm

Ick that’s no way to spend the holiday weekend… but maybe you’re getting it out of your system and have a fun and healthy summer ahead!

8. May 30, 2011 4:28 pm

So sorry you’re sick, no fun! Hope you feel better soon! The antipasto looks amazing!

9. May 30, 2011 9:17 pm

oh noooooo! Feel better chicky! Looks like you’ve had some tasty eats to get you feeling back to 100%!

10. spoonfulofsugarfree permalink
    May 30, 2011 9:52 pm

OH. MY. GOSH> That is so gorgeous!!! But 😦 So sorry you don’t feel well 😦 Take lots of Vitamin C! And apple cider vinegar! It really does work!

11. May 30, 2011 10:44 pm

Oh sorry you’re feeling bad. So not cool on Memorial weekend! I’m making a pasta salad right now for either a late dinner tonight or tomorrow. Mine won’t be nearly as pretty as your unfortunately.

Feel better soon!

12. greensandjeans permalink
    May 31, 2011 12:11 pm

Being sick by yourself is the WORST. Hope you are feeling better today!