Au Revoir, Paris; Bonjour, Altoona

May 24, 2011

Hello!

After a long day of flying, we returned home yesterday to find everything still standing.  The dogs seemed happy to see us—although they were a little mad that we didn’t bring them back dog berets.

As promised, I still have a few days of our trip to recap…hold on to your berets!

On Saturday, we visited the quintessential Parisian site: the Eiffel Tower! I don’t care how many times you’ve been to Paris—you should always stop by the Eiffel Tower!

We took the requisite pictures:

…and then moved on! 🙂

As you can see, we had absolutely gorgeous weather for our entire stay in Paris—clear and warm!

Saturday night, we ate at what Guardian named as one of the top ten ethnic restaurants in Paris—Palanka.  Palanka serves Pan-African cuisine—everything from green papaya salad:

to fish in a curried coconut broth:

to a vegetarian tasting plate:

Yum! You know, I was worried about eating vegetarian on this trip, but it wasn’t difficult, especially in Paris.  Paris has so many great ethnic restaurants, and even in the bistros and cafes, you can almost always find something meat-free.  I do think it would be nearly close to impossible to eat vegan in Paris, however—cheese is practically a given in almost every meal!

Throughout our trip, I enjoyed vegetarian dishes like crepes (with cheese and mushrooms):

and carrot soup:

and couscous (along with a sliver of smoked salmon):

and cold lentil soup:

…and of course, the Frenchiest vegetarian meal of all—cheese and bread!  There was NO shortage of bread during our time in Paris:

So.  Good.

And, of course, dessert is ALWAYS vegetarian!!

On Sunday, we took a trip out of Paris to a site that I’ve wanted to visit for a really long time—Monet’s home in Giverny!

We had to wake up pretty early to beat the crowds, but it was worth it—the gardens were simply STUNNING.  I kind of went crazy taking pictures of all of the beautiful flowers:

DSC_0155 (2)  DSC_0087 (10) DSC_0167

DSC_0069 (9) DSC_0058 (12)

…and of course we had to take many pictures of the famous bridges and water lilies:

Sunday wasn’t just our last day in Paris—it was also the two-year anniversary for Ryan and me!  May 22nd, 2009, we were doing this:

CY0522090207

CY0522090225

Flash forward two years:

What a perfect place to celebrate an anniversary!  It’s been a great two years.  My husband is as goofy today:

as he was when we first started dating:

10-13-2006-15

and I hope he stays that way forever!

Well, that’s about it.  As sad as we were to leave Paris behind, it feels good to be back home—for now, at least.  This summer is going to be FULL of travel for us…so I hope you’ll tag along as I blog all about it!

Hope you’re having a great start to the day!

1. May 24, 2011 12:42 pm

Look at that bread!!!!!! Wow.

2. May 24, 2011 12:44 pm

Happy Anniversary!

3. May 24, 2011 12:49 pm

Welcome back and happy anniversary!! It looks like you had a wonderful time in France!

4. May 24, 2011 12:52 pm

Your trip looks just incredible! It seems you had perfect weather and divine meals!!

5. May 24, 2011 12:53 pm

oh my gosh your wedding gown is STUNNING! i love the leaves on it…happy anniversary!

6. May 24, 2011 1:00 pm

I can’t believe that’s Ryan in the last photo. He looks SO different without his hair and beard. They just scream “I’ve studied Kant!”

7. May 24, 2011 1:33 pm

OMG he had short hair! I like the longer better 🙂

The flowers at Monet’s home are amazing, look at those colors.

I think I need to go to France for the bread factor alone!

8. May 24, 2011 3:27 pm

happy annivesary!

we celebrated 10 yrs on May 14. I posted all about it.

And omg your dress, wedding, you (and ryan..lol) all look soooo beautiful!

and it looks like you pretty much starved and there was nothing good to eat in paris, right? 🙂
    oh wow. Must.Visit.
    !!!!

9. May 24, 2011 4:31 pm

I LOVE your pictures…this reminds me of how much fun I had in Paris last month. I can’t wait to go again…

And I totally agree on the ethnic foods thing, we started eating tons of Lebanese food there and loved it!

Welcome home!

10. May 24, 2011 5:10 pm

So glad you had a great time!! Your pictures are always amazing! I love the look of that crepe — I think I might have to try a re-creation of that.

11. actorsdiet permalink
    May 24, 2011 6:17 pm

welcome back! i’ve enjoyed your adventures. ever since seeing the new woody allen movie i’ve been dreaming of paris

12. May 24, 2011 7:15 pm

Glad you’re home safe and had a wonderful time!

13. May 24, 2011 7:53 pm

awww- Happy Anniversary! What a great last few days. The bread? drool. The flowers- gorgeous! I would love to try both the green papaya salad and the crepes! Glad you’re home safe with the puppers

14. May 24, 2011 10:41 pm

Ah…Anna…Happy Anniversary!!!

• Ginger permalink
      May 25, 2011 11:20 am

Yes it was a great trip! We are still trying to get home (weather problems) and rented a car last night at midnight. But, it was worth it!!

15. May 24, 2011 11:32 pm

stunning pictures! what a gorgeous wedding, happy anniversary to you two! what a great way to spend it in Paris.

glad you made it back safely

16. May 24, 2011 11:35 pm

Is that a yellow shirt or dress? I need to have it. Seriously!!!

17. May 25, 2011 12:12 am

Happy Anniversary and welcome back home. Sounds like you guys had one awesome trip. I loved seeing all the pictures!! Thanks so much for sharing.

18. Elyssa permalink
    May 25, 2011 12:13 am

So you know the last few minutes of a fireworks show when there’s one stunning explosion after another and another and you can’t quite catch your breath it’s so thrilling? This post felt like that to me. Really, really loved these photos. Je te remercie, mon amie!

Also, you look so much like your gorgeous mom in the last few photos. 🙂

19. May 25, 2011 1:15 am

Wow, it sounds like you both had an amazing time! Happy anniversary to you. Nick and I are celebrating our five year (dating) anniversary on Friday 🙂 May is a great month! I wish we were going to PAris. Maybe one day. We would love to go to Italy too. HEck, who wouldn’t?!

20. May 25, 2011 1:44 am

Let’s just say I took hand fulls of lactaid when we went to Paris. So worth the pain eating all that cheese! I am so glad you had a great trip Anna! Thank you so much for sharing your journey! Welcome home!

21. May 25, 2011 1:56 am

Happy belated anniversary!!! Our 2 year anniversary was yesterday…the 23rd 🙂 Giverny is amazing…I want to go back!!! Gorgeous photos!! And…welcome home!!!@

22. greensandjeans permalink
    May 25, 2011 4:26 pm

probably the best place to spend an anniversary ever. I’m hoping you’ll be in altoona when I head out your way again later this summer! knowing you guys, you’ll probably be on safari in africa or something amazing like that

23. May 25, 2011 10:24 pm

Wow look at all that BREAD. I’m pretty sure if I ever make it to paris, I’ll be eating just cheese for the whole time I’m there! Incredible.

So glad you enjoyed your trip!

24. May 26, 2011 1:47 am

So sad your adventure is over, but glad you’re home safe! I’ve yet to see the Eiffel Tower, but it’s on my bucket list. Glad you were able to find great veg options on your trip. Cute anniversary pics, what a sweet post.

25. May 26, 2011 2:45 pm

That was one of the places we didn’t make it to in Paris. I want to go back just to go to the gardens. Happy Anniversary! It will be 2 years for the husband and I on the 30th.

26. Lalit permalink