Bonjour…and Bon Giorno!

May 7, 2011

Hi friends!

Well, we made it to Nice safe and sound.  It’s funny being back here—during my sophomore year of college, I studied in a tiny French town named Annot, and for every weekend trip we took, we almost always left from Nice.  I’m seeing some familiar sights…it feels like a strange dream, or deja-vu.  I’ll post more on Annot in the next few days—it’s the next stop for our trip!

When we landed in Nice, we got our rental car and found our hotel with no problem, which is kind of amazing, given that we both have pretty bad senses of direction.  After checking into our hotel (they let us check in at 8:30, even though normal check-in time isn’t until 3. Who says the French aren’t friendly?), we took a nice long walk along the Promenade Des Anglaises:

We also stumbled upon a great outdoor market:

DSC_0020 DSC_0019

Oh, how I love the markets in Europe.  Sigh. The meals I would cook with some of that produce.

And then we hopped right back in our car and headed to…Italy!

Nice is only about half an hour from the France/Italy border, and when I was studying in France as a college student, several people took daytrips to a small Italian town called Ventimiglia.  I never did, so I figured it would be a fun thing for us to do while we were here!

The drive was beautiful…it took us through Monaco, Monte Carlo, Menton (haha, Mom), and finally across the border to Ventimiglia.

By the time we got to Italy, we were starvin’ marvin, so we stopped in for lunch at one of the first places we saw.  Don’t you love how even the tiniest, most unassuming restaurant in Italy or France still has amazing food?  Sigh.

I enjoyed a salad of corn, shrimp, and fresh parmesan over spicy arugula:

And Ryan had pizza:

We also drank our first glasses of wine of the trip…first of many, I’m guessing. :-)   A little espresso was also in order…especially after the wine!

We enjoyed our lunch while staring out at this view:

So pretty!

We had fun exploring Ventimiglia.  There’s a great outdoor flea market that runs for a few blocks in the center of town.  I picked up this silver hammered ring for 10 bucks:

Jewelry makes great souvenirs because it doesn’t take up suitcase space!

Not sure what’s on the agenda now.  We’re both pretty beat, but we’re trying to make it through the afternoon without a nap so that we’ll sleep soundly tonight.

Hope your weekend is off to a great start…au revoir, mes amis!

1. May 7, 2011 10:19 pm

what a great ring! and what great pics!!! WOW!!!

have an amazing trip as i know you already are!

STUNNING pics!!!

2. May 7, 2011 10:25 pm

Gorgeous pics!! Have a great time 🙂

3. May 7, 2011 10:37 pm

I love that you found a little farmers market already! And your pictures look fake, that’s a it is so gorgeous it looks fake compliment 🙂

Tell Ryan his pizza looks bomb

Can’t wait to read more–have a fabulous time!

4. May 7, 2011 10:59 pm

Going anywhere close to Wavrin near Lille? That’s where our Demarle plant is.

5. May 7, 2011 11:41 pm

Have so much fun! I remember walking around the wonderful markets over there last April!!

6. May 7, 2011 11:45 pm

All of it…gorgeous. I hope you guys have the time of your lives!

7. May 8, 2011 12:19 am

So pretty. I went to Nice for a few hours once as a layover from a train trip from Spain to Italy. I got very sunburnt on the beach but it was still nice.

8. May 8, 2011 12:06 pm

Oh I MISS the South of France so much!! I used to spend summers in Sete near Montpellier as a kid…these pictures are gorgeous, I forgot how pretty it is!

9. May 9, 2011 7:08 pm

So glad you’re blogging while traveling so I can live vicariously through you! Sounds lovely thus far! Enjoy an extra glass of wine for me, please.

10. May 9, 2011 9:19 pm

Beautiful pics, so jealous. Hope you’re having a great time!

11. May 10, 2011 10:07 pm

Those artichokes look super yummy! I know what I’m having for dinner tonight! 🙂 Hope you have an awesome trip! Don’t see how it could be anything other than amazing! and congrats on 18 days of clothes in one small bag!

12. May 24, 2011 4:38 pm

So beautiful…I went to Nice and Monaco on my honeymoon. I loved it!