Challenge Extended…

May 5, 2011

The challenge: pack for an 18 day trip to France using only this carry-on backpack-turned-rolling bag:

Wait, let’s put it into perspective:

That’s better.

Challenge accepted.

What do you think? Can I do it?  We’re about to find out!

Yep, we’re getting into travel-mode over here.  The refrigerator is pretty much empty:

…and the dogs are beginning to sense that something is afoot:

DSC_0007 (238)  DSC_0002 (242)

These poor dogs.  As soon as we pull the suitcases out, they start to get nervous.

I’m off to finish some laundry and start packing.  I have a feeling it’s going to take some fancy maneuvering on my part if I really want to carry only this bag.

Oh! And—several of you asked what makes that black pasta black.  It’s squid ink! Kind of gross, right?  But the pasta really just tastes like regular pasta—no fishy taste or anything.  We had some squid ink risotto in Croatia last year that was SUPER fishy…not in a bad way, just in a distinctly seafood-y way.

Wish me luck packing!

1. May 5, 2011 1:15 pm

You totally can! I mostly pack using a modification of the onebag.com list, and I’ve never had too much of a problem carrying on, especially when traveling in the summer.

And, 18 days in France?! That’s going to be amazing!

2. May 5, 2011 1:28 pm

If you can do it, you will be sooo happy while you’re there!

3. greensandjeans permalink
    May 5, 2011 1:41 pm

I’m doffing my cap to you my friend. I am the world’s worst packer and I travel for a living. I always end up with approximately 10 pairs of shoes.

• May 5, 2011 1:46 pm

Hey, keep your hat on until we see if I can actually DO it… 🙂

4. May 5, 2011 2:08 pm

I admire anyone who can fit more than 3 days worth of stuff into that bag! I’m a diva and need my options. I am leaving for FL on saturday and my pup is going but he is getting nervous since I already broke the luggage out. Poor guy!

5. May 5, 2011 2:32 pm

Girl I am just now getting to where I can pack for 4 days with a carry on! Good luck to you. Poor pups. Ours start to get antsy when we break out the suitcases too.

6. May 5, 2011 2:39 pm

Um yes of course I could do it! I think I could and would do just about anything to go to Europe 🙂 have fun girl!

7. May 5, 2011 2:53 pm

I have taken to conditioning my dogs by leaving my bags out around the house, moving them from room to room for awhile before I go. No big deal… just a part of the furniture that moves about. Decreases the angst. Of course, I don’t have Baxter, who might just anoint them all. LOL

8. May 5, 2011 4:04 pm

You’re going to France?! JEALOUS!

9. May 5, 2011 4:44 pm

I’m packing a carryon for my trip to England at the end of the month and it’s HARD to figure out what to bring!! Good luck packing!

10. May 5, 2011 4:54 pm

Did I mention how jealous I am that your going to France? I want to go back so badly! Good luck with the packing! I know you can do it!

11. May 5, 2011 4:57 pm

I went to Norway during the winter with just a carry on, so I think you can do France in the spring with just the same.

12. May 5, 2011 5:39 pm

I think my shoes & maybe make up would fit in that bag — haha!! Good luck with your packing. Wish I was going!!

13. May 5, 2011 8:25 pm

I’m the worst packer- I could never make that happen 🙂 Good luck chicky. And SO exciting that your trip is soon

14. Eliza permalink
    May 5, 2011 9:55 pm

Check out Kendi Everyday’s 30 for 30 challenge – she (and many others) do a great job of sticking with a select set of items for long periods of time!

15. May 5, 2011 11:38 pm

Seriously, I’m so jealous! First Italy, now France?!
    Maybe you can pack ME in that carry-on 🙂

16. May 5, 2011 11:48 pm

your fridge looks like how i want mine to look like by this time next week 🙂

have a great trip!

17. May 6, 2011 1:34 am

You’re awesome! Good luck… I always take WAY too much stuff with me. Have fun on your trip!!!! So jealous!

18. May 6, 2011 12:55 pm

You can totally pack 18 days worth of stuff in that bag! I packed 16 days a backpack the same size to travel Europe. Just make sure you pack enough underwear and you can re-wear everything else (you can also do laundry while you are there). I have complete faith in your packing abilities! Let me know if you need any tips or tricks, oh, and those compression bags that you roll the air out of were a lifesaver!

19. JenATX permalink
    May 28, 2011 12:51 am

the only hard part is packing underwear/bras because you can’t re-wear those as well as other clothes! otherwise all you gotta do is mix & match
    PS the dog pics are awesome