Black and White

May 3, 2011

Yesterday, I spent all afternoon responding to students e-mails that questioned the definitiveness of the grades I’d posted.  It seems that what I’d thought were final grades were only “final” grades to some students.  I tell ya—some of these students have a veracity about them that I don’t think I ever had in school! They’re like freakin’ snapping turtles who won’t let go.

After an afternoon of explaining that “final” did in fact mean final, I was ready for a meal of black and white—no gray area, please!!

We got this black pasta in Italy last summer, and have only used it once, for a fun Halloween dinner.  Last night, it worked perfectly for our black and white-themed meal!

The black:

For the white, I made a simple sauce of butter and garlic, which I poured, still bubbling, over the hot pasta after draining.  It doesn’t get much easier (or tastier) than that.

Salty pecorino romano cheese added an extra dose of white to the top of our black pasta.

Okay, okay…I lied.  This meal also involved just a leeeeetle bit of yellow—a squeeze of lemon right before serving!

Mmmm….perfect with a glass of cold white wine, and enjoyed on our back porch!

Off to meet with a student…let the grade-weaseling begin.

1. May 3, 2011 2:35 pm

I want this for dinner tonight…let’s hope my friends we are eating with get the memo!

2. May 3, 2011 2:41 pm

Cute theme! Good luck with those little weaselers (I seriously do not recall doing that in my undergrad days!)

3. May 3, 2011 2:42 pm

Hahaha your students sound so intense.!! I’d never have the balls to do this stuff…

4. May 3, 2011 2:56 pm

Haha—I never had the guts to be so challenging when I was a student! My, how times have changed.

Your dinner looks delish. I’ve been loving simple meals lately.

5. May 3, 2011 3:01 pm

It’s a Steelers meal!

Does that black pasta taste any different? I’ve never heard of it before.

6. May 3, 2011 3:04 pm

Good luck with those “final” grades!

7. May 3, 2011 3:26 pm

I’ve never seen black pasta before! Does it taste like regular pasta? It looks delicious 🙂

8. Emo permalink
    May 3, 2011 3:49 pm

Yum! That sounds like a great spring dinner. You could remind your students that you should thank you for getting grades in so fast — we have a 2 week exam period and we don’t usually get grades for 2 weeks after that. By then, you’ve had 2 weeks to cool down…you might suggest this to PS-“Pom Wonderful Presents: The Greatest Movie Ever Sold” University.

9. May 3, 2011 5:49 pm

This is beautiful! As for the meaning of final…maybe it’s changed. You know we are getting older and new meanings of words are coming out all the time. Maybe we need to freshen up our knowledge on the meanings of some of our tried and true words. I hope the meeting went well and you didn’t have to pull your hair out too badly!

10. May 3, 2011 5:50 pm

Looks good. What makes the pasta black?

11. May 3, 2011 6:17 pm

I once was a snapping turtle with a teacher, but he was a total jack ass and pissed me off!!! He took 25% off my final exam because a decimal point was too big. F to the U buddy…

12. May 3, 2011 8:41 pm

Thats ridiculous! A little late for grade arguments! Yummy dish- love the huge chunks of garlic (drool)

13. May 4, 2011 1:47 am

love the black and white meal theme 🙂

14. May 4, 2011 1:57 am

I’ve never seen black pasta. What makes it black?

15. Kid permalink
    May 4, 2011 4:07 am

My students are the same – I’m perfectly clear with expectations, and they think they can negotiate their way to a higher grade, despite not meeting my expectations for an “A” paper or “A-level” attendance.

I love this pasta dish – looks gorgeous. Love this blog.

16. JenATX permalink
    May 4, 2011 4:10 am

hehe I totally inquired into the “final-ness” of one of my grades in college. It didn’t even cross my mind that it was a bold move at the time! I didn’t work though 😦 I had to settle for a lousy B.. lame!

17. May 4, 2011 6:48 am

I’m always amazed at how people go crazy about grades! I don’t think I’ve ever once asked for a grade to be changed or reconsidered or for an extension for a paper! I think that’s sorta bold too.

I love that last photo by the way!! Great shot!

18. greensandjeans permalink
    May 4, 2011 11:56 am

What makes it black? I dig it!

19. May 4, 2011 4:28 pm

Black pasta? Why have I never heard of this?

And I was the worst grade weaseler ever. I have to admit!!

20. May 4, 2011 5:10 pm

Don’t you hate how students expect a certain grade when they didn’t do anything to earn said grade? You have more patience than I do, I’m sure! Lovely dinner, Anna!

21. May 5, 2011 10:02 am

I agree with you about the veracity of kids! I swear I’ve turned into a 90 year old grandma but I spent Easter with my husband’s 11 year old niece and that beast did nothing but argue with me an correct me – my husband was like “there goes my chance of ever having a kid”