Summer Vacation?

May 2, 2011

Well, my classes have ended, I’ve graded my papers, and I turned in grades this morning, so I guess it’s officially “summer” for me.  The only problem? What else? The weather!

It’s about 60 degrees here right now and has been raining off and on for a few days, which isn’t too bad, but it definitely doesn’t say “summer”!  It will probably get really nice right when we leave for our trip this Friday…but I won’t care, because we’ll be in France! 🙂

Luckily, we got a nice bout of sunny weather on Saturday—just in time for the faculty picnic that Ryan helped plan! The picnic was at a local park, and while I was dreading it a little bit (I’m not the most social of butterflies), it ended up being a really good time.  The grill was fired up for burgers (Boca for me, thanks) and dogs, and there was actually a nice spread of food!

We contributed this black bean quinoa mango salad:

…which was a hit!  Another professor recommended topping a burger with the quinoa…whatever works, right?

As promised, I also procrastinated with some baking on Saturday morning, so we brought along the fruits of my procrastination as well:

Peanut butter peanut butter-chocolate chip cookies…which is quite the mouthful.  Why don’t we just call them “Mmmmmmm, cookies” instead?

Okay…as much as I should be on summer vacay, I actually still have a few students that I have to deal with.  It appears that some of my students are *surprised* by their grades.  I’m not sure how you can be surprised with a B when you’ve made a B on every single one of your class assignments, but maybe some day I’ll get it.

Hope you’re having a great Monday!

1. May 2, 2011 7:19 pm

The salad looks amazing! Those cookies look perfect for my afternoon coffee! I hate going to things, but always end up having a good time. I hope you get some warmer weather soon! Have a great afternoon Anna!

2. May 2, 2011 8:56 pm

Peanut butter peanut butter-chocolate chip cookies = RECIPE Please!

They look PERFECT!

As does the salad, but the cookies steal the show for me 🙂

• May 2, 2011 9:05 pm

Haha, here’s the recipe: buy a peanut butter cookie mix. Prepare mix. Add peanut butter chocolate chips to the batter. Bake.

🙂

3. Marcee ..... ILLINOIS permalink
    May 2, 2011 9:35 pm

Hi Anna …..

Love making quinoa salads. Anything goes!

Re: MmmmmYummmcookies ….. can you give us the/your brand? Just wondering about the fat, etc. If it was vegan. Thanks!

Can’t wait to (hopefully) read your posts from France!

Enjoy!

4. May 2, 2011 10:21 pm

LOL!!!!!! That’s funny about the grade and your student. I’m sure it’ll happen to me some day…

The cookies look UH-mazing! The quinoa, too. And France? Jealous doesn’t even begin to cover my feelings on that…ENJOY!

5. May 2, 2011 10:35 pm

Hooray for France! Y’all must be so excited!!! The quinoa salad looks awesome. After I read your post…I ended up baking on sunday too 🙂 The cookies look great

6. May 2, 2011 11:33 pm

I’m pretty sure Spring has totally neglected michigan and you as well!!! I’m still waiting though…
    LOL @ your student, it’s a head shaker!

7. May 3, 2011 2:09 am

love the colors in that salad!!

and cookies look amazing

8. May 3, 2011 10:38 am

Mmmmmmm…..SUMMER!!! 😉

9. greensandjeans permalink
    May 3, 2011 11:01 am

Can you and Ryan adopt me so I can come on all of your vacations?

10. May 3, 2011 12:59 pm

Haha I’m loving these little student anecdotes about grading. It’s taught me that I was right in never arguing with a teacher about a grade…

• May 3, 2011 1:04 pm

Actually…while that is the lesson I USUALLY try to convey…I just bumped a student up from a B+ to an A-…he was right on the edge, and he just WOULD NOT LEAVE ME ALONE…so I guess if you catch a teacher on the right day, arguing works. I just want him to quit e-mailing me!! 🙂

11. May 3, 2011 4:16 pm

Hahahahahahaha as I saw the photos of the cookies, I thought “Mmmmmm cookies…” and then read your comment about potentially just calling them that.

Great minds think alike?