What Do I Have To Do To Get An “A”?

April 26, 2011

That’s definitely the question of the day over here.

This is the last week of our semester (the students still have finals next week, but I don’t give a final in my class, so on Thursday, I am DONE! Well, except for grading 75 research papers, but we won’t think about that right now).  Without fail, I always get four or five (or six or seven) e-mails during the last week of class from students who have…shall we say, “slacked off” during the previous weeks of class and who now want to know what they need to do to get an “A” in the class.

Um, build a time machine.  (cue rimshot)

I seriously had one student who slept in class ALL semester long ask me if he could expect a B+ in the class.  Well…feel free to expect it, but you’re going to be awfully disappointed.

Anyway…it’s just that point in the semester when we’re all ready to be done.

After conferencing with students all day, I whipped up a simple dinner of veggie Mexican wraps.  These were kind of a cross between tacos and burritos…and were 100% delicious!

Crumbled tempeh makes a great vegetarian sub for beef or turkey in tacos.  I just saute a block of crumbled tempeh with an onion, a few tablespoons of taco seasoning, and some water.  By the time it all boils down, the tempeh is really seasoned and it looks just like taco meat!

We served ours in brown rice tortillas with avocado and salsa on top:

Yum!

Hope you had a great Tuesday! Adios, amigos!

1. April 27, 2011 12:08 am

Dinner looks great. I love crumbling tempeh. Just think of the prize at the end of the semester…an awesome vacation!

2. April 27, 2011 12:16 am

Love tempeh! I like how it can take on whatever flavor you want 🙂

3. April 27, 2011 12:21 am

Hahaha I was never one of those kinds of students until this semester. I know I just didn’t put in A material, so it’s a good thing I’m okay with Bs 🙂

4. April 27, 2011 1:22 am

Your tacos look so good!

And I know what students you are talking about. I think they are the same ones that are in my group projects and expect me to do everything. I love that you have no mercy for them!

5. April 27, 2011 1:28 am

my dad’s a professor and HATES when students say that to him! another one i always heard growing up was, “don’t you ever say that a teacher GAVE you a grade, it’s always that you EARNED it!”

he’s so ready to be done too 🙂

6. patti permalink
    April 27, 2011 2:53 am

Ah! The teacher’s end of the semester lament…..this happens in high school too. My friend doesn’t like when students ask for extra credit to raise their grade. She tells them that extra credit is not instead of credit! Hang in there, you are almost done. Can you believe we go to June 24 due to 4 snow days?
    Glad you had a nice trip to Shreveport.

7. mgutowsk permalink
    April 27, 2011 12:51 pm

Anna, I am seriously going to use that “build a time machine” line!

8. April 27, 2011 1:55 pm

I have two friends that are professors and they always tell us about these types of stories. I have no idea how people can think that you get something for nothing. It blows my mind. Dinner looks delicious! Good luck grading those papers!

9. April 27, 2011 4:59 pm

Yum! Those tacos look great. I’ve looked for tempeh but am never able to find it. Maybe I have to try more of a specialty health food store?! I’ll have to look because I want to get me some of your tacos 🙂

10. April 27, 2011 5:24 pm

that question is mildly better than “when am I ever going to use this”

11. greensandjeans permalink
    April 27, 2011 8:38 pm

My dad gets the BEST emails right after grades go out… Silly kids.

12. April 27, 2011 9:39 pm

hahahah- thats crazy. I guess its their one last shot/attempt. Dinner looks so good. The avocado and salsa on top are just perfect. Hooray for you almost being done!

13. Ginger permalink
    April 27, 2011 11:38 pm

Yum, that looks so good – and I love your Mexican-themed plates!

14. April 28, 2011 4:14 am

Too funny on students, and a little sad. The tacos look wonderful, great use for tempeh!

15. April 28, 2011 5:30 pm

I HATED that time of year as a teacher. All the lazy kids come out thinking they can squeak by with no work and then banging out two weeks worth of effort. So annoying.