SUSHI!!

April 18, 2011

Hi friends! Happy Monday to ya!

This weekend, as part of our rotating dinner party series, we headed over to Casey and Rachael’s apartment for a night of…sushi-making!

I’d actually made sushi once before in grad school, but I remembered it going less than fabulously (on my part)—I never could get the rolls to…well, roll right!

On Saturday night, a very patient Rachael gave the six of us a great tutorial on how to roll sushi:

DSC_0011 DSC_0012

DSC_0014 DSC_0016

DSC_0017 DSC_0020

With two vegetarians and one pregnant lady in the group, they decided to forego any meat or fish fillings.  Instead, we had carrots, cucumber, cream cheese, avocado, and asparagus—yum! The veggies kept the sushi light and fresh—kind of the opposite of a lot of the rolls you see in sushi restaurants.  It seems like every other roll is doused in spicy mayo and tempura-fried!

After Rachel’s tutorial, we all got to give it a try on our own.

Some of us were taking it more seriously than others…ahem, Nick Wiley. And some of us mainly sat around drinking sake…ahem, me.  Actually, I made a few good rolls:

But most of mine were pretty…loose interpretations of sushi.  Whoops.  See those giant log rolls that aren’t even sealed?  Yeah, those are mine.

We worked through roll after roll…Nick Rowland even mastered the inside-out roll:

And then…it was time to eat! Casey and Rachael made a big pot of miso soup and a delicious salad with tahini-sesame dressing to go along with our masterpieces.

But…the best was yet to come:

Mmmmm…dessert.  Cupcake ice-cream cones with frosting topped with tagalongs.  They were as amazing as they sound.

It was such a fun night—plus, we got to leave with favors: our very own rolling mat, plus typed out instructions and the sushi rice recipe!

Hope you had a great weekend as well! We had some crrrrrrrazy winds yesterday…I’m hoping today will be calmer so that I can get outside with the dogs!

Adios!

1. April 18, 2011 11:33 am

I’ve always wanted to make sushi but I just don’t know if I’d have the patience!

• April 18, 2011 1:22 pm

Haha…I think that was definitely one of my biggest downfalls. I was WAYYYY to quick to say, “Oh, screw it– it’ll taste good, even if it doesn’t look good!”

2. April 18, 2011 11:50 am

I made sushi a few months ago at a friends house. It was really fun!

3. April 18, 2011 12:09 pm

Cupcake ice-cream cones with frosting topped with tagalongs = omg my childhood bdays i alwasy wanted those cones! never with a tagalong but yes, please.

and sushi making..fun and ive always wanted to do it!

• April 18, 2011 1:23 pm

Haha– that’s why we had them! They were a childhood memory for Casey!

4. April 18, 2011 12:13 pm

How fun! I took a sushi class and found making sushi to be simple and yet very tricky at the same time!

5. April 18, 2011 12:25 pm

What a fun party. I need to get a real rolling mat. Sushi is so fun to make.

6. Ginger permalink
    April 18, 2011 12:53 pm

Let’s do that when you come home! I’ll see if I can find a mat. (Does each person have their own mat?) I’d love to learn how to make sushi – I love it!

7. April 18, 2011 2:04 pm

That sounds like fun! I used to love making sushi with my dad. It was a huge deal. I never really care what it looks like in the end, as long as it tastes good!

8. April 18, 2011 2:04 pm

So much fun! I was still craving sushi on Sunday. I ate a cupcake instead 🙂

9. April 18, 2011 2:21 pm

I’ve always wanted to try making our own sushi, but I tend to make a huge mess on the best of days! I think I would have to have lots of trial runs before making it for others 🙂

We had major winds this weekend as well – sadly, we’re getting snow today.

10. April 18, 2011 3:14 pm

Cupcake icecream cones? Awesome!

11. April 18, 2011 3:25 pm

ummmn can we be best friends and have sushi making parties with LOTS of sake and miso soup? kthx. im so jealous =) my sushi parties consist of me and the hubs having a sushi-off and him winning every time. hehe

12. mgutowsk permalink
    April 18, 2011 3:51 pm

I LOVE sushi! My mom and I keep discussing doing a sushi night this summer- she found a market with sushi grade fish near her house, and we like the fish better than rolls, so we’re all geared up for it. Now if only I could find a place in central IN selling sushi grade fish… yeah, not likely!

13. April 18, 2011 3:58 pm

I’ve always wanted to try making sushi, but it scares me!! I need to find a class at WF or something…

14. April 18, 2011 5:25 pm

Good for you. I made sushi last month for the first time to rave reviews. I used my octagonal silpat to roll them… easy and the clean up was a snap.

15. April 18, 2011 5:28 pm

I’ve been wanting to take a sushi rolling class forever! I love vegetarian sushi – if I can find the brown rice kind, which is really hard to find in Utah! I’d make it all the time!

16. April 18, 2011 6:10 pm

What a fun night! I love the idea of a “veggie” sushi party! I’ve never made sushi before but it looks fun!

17. April 18, 2011 7:24 pm

that is so much fun! I’ve never had sushi, but I’d be all about trying a veg variety!! The Cupcake ice-cream cones are adorable

18. April 18, 2011 8:17 pm

I have never tried making sushi before but it looks like fun! I’d be good to have a sushi master around though for the first trials.

19. April 18, 2011 9:10 pm

Making homemade sushi is so much fun!! Looks like a great night with friends!

20. JenATX permalink
    April 19, 2011 3:43 am

are these the kind of parties that “grown ups” have? If so, I guess growing up isn’t that bad…
    By the way, your sushi isnt nearly as bad as some I’ve seen on the Food Network. On one episode of Diners, Drive Ins, & Dives this restaurant put meat & french fries in some rolls & called it sushi. can you believe it?!

21. April 19, 2011 10:29 am

I’m allergic to seafood so I’ve never even tried sushi, but I would be down for a vegetarian option!!!

22. April 19, 2011 10:31 am

I’ve been wanting to make sushi at home. I can see where the rolling would be hard! For sure! I think yours look great!! 🙂

23. April 19, 2011 11:14 am

I WANT to make sushi!! I’ve never done it before. I’ve watched it being done plenty of times, but have never gotten up the courage to try myself. I think yours turned out pretty good. Even WITH the sake 😉

24. April 19, 2011 11:27 am

Fun! My cousin hosts sushi parties and I’ve been wanting to try it for a while now. You’ve inspired me to get in touch with him and get a party on the calendar!

25. April 19, 2011 10:14 pm

What a fun night! A sushi party sounds like a blast.