Spring Awakening…

April 15, 2011

…is what it FINALLY feels like we’re having around here! The sun is shining, the flowers are just starting to break through their buds…I feel like we’re finally getting the weather I’ve been looking forward to for the past two months!

And so, of course the nice weather finally comes right when things get SUPER busy around here. Ryan has been traveling a lot for conferences and other school-related things, and our classes are both wrapping up in the next few weeks.  We only have a few weeks left—but they’re going to be doozies!

We’re doing our best to just get through the work, and to take breaks for fun when we can—which is what we did on Wednesday night.  We drove up to State College to see the musical Spring Awakening—have you heard of it?  It was awesome! The whole musical was so unique and energizing—we both loved it!

Whenever things get busy around here, our meals seem to get simpler and simpler.  But—I think the simplicity is nice in spring.  It kind of helps you to reset your body after the long, heavy winter.  My lunch today definitely felt like a spring awakening:

Mmmm…mung beans cooked with a little garlic salt, plus avocado slices and a little sprinkle of cumin seeds.  I plated up the mung beans and avocado right after the mung beans were finished cooking, so the avocado got kind of warm and almost melty on the bottom—it was delicious!

The simplicity of this meal just felt so gentle and nourishing…perfect for spring!

That’s about all here.  Ryan is in DC for the day with a group of students, so I’m working on cleaning out my closet.  I’m scheduling in some long walks with the dogs out in the sun, too…hope you’re soaking it up wherever you are as well!

1. April 15, 2011 4:51 pm

So glad you’re finally having a bit of spring. Love overdue! You know, I don’t think I’ve ever had mung beans.

• April 15, 2011 5:56 pm

They’re really tasty! They kind of remind me of a cross between lentils and garbanzo beans!

2. April 15, 2011 5:15 pm

Enjoy the weather Anna! I know you have needed it. Good luck with the closet…I’m doing the same here with the boys’ closets and it is scary!

3. April 15, 2011 5:25 pm

GORGEOUS! I love simple and delicious dishes like this — ESPECIALLY this time of year! ❤ My closet is prooobably the one thing that doesnt need cleaning… so, that being said, I shall be cleaning the entire house today. yuck!

4. April 15, 2011 6:17 pm

I’ve never seen mung beans before. From the picture, it looked like yellow rice

• April 15, 2011 8:06 pm

I know, isn’t that funny? I thought the same exact thing!

5. April 15, 2011 10:25 pm

I thought it was rice too! Now you’ve piqued my interest about mung beans.

Glad you’re enjoying the spring weather — we are too! I hope it’s helped you escape your funk 🙂 Have a great weekend.

6. Erin permalink
    April 15, 2011 11:45 pm

I think I need to eat everything you eat! Where did you find your mung beans? Is that a regular/WF type of place or do I need to go to an Indian grocery?

• April 16, 2011 2:04 pm

I got ours at Wegman’s, but I’m sure you could find them in Whole Foods or even just a regular grocery store in the International aisle!

7. April 16, 2011 12:42 am

I saw Spring Awakening last year and really liked it. Jason, however, hated it.

8. April 16, 2011 12:44 am

I LOVE Spring Awakening. I saw it a few years ago on Broadway- one of my favorite shows!

9. April 16, 2011 1:15 am

mung beans cooked with a little garlic salt, plus avocado slices and a little sprinkle of cumin seeds = sounds sooo nice!

the avo slices are so perfect, such a lovely color, just beautiful!

10. April 16, 2011 11:29 am

This meal looks perfect! And your pics of it are so pretty!

11. April 17, 2011 2:05 am

What a fun meal! I’ve never had mung beans. I want to try. I also haven’t seen that play. Glad you two enjoyed. The weather here today was nuttttttty. We had tornado warnings but nothing came of them (LUCKILY). I know other parts of the south were not as fortunate. Enjoy the rest of your weekend

12. Ginger permalink
    April 17, 2011 2:23 pm

You’re finally getting your Spring weather – YEA!! I would like to try mung beans, as well – they look good!

13. April 17, 2011 3:31 pm

So glad spring it showing up for you, hang in there with the busy schedules! The mung bean dish looks great, love the bright colors!

14. April 18, 2011 3:25 am

We finally got spring here too! It’s totally brought “walks” back to my life – the weatherman is calling for more rain tomorrow, but as long as it isn’t snow, I think I can handle it!

15. April 18, 2011 11:14 am

Mung beans?? I do not know these beans. I need to expand my bean repertoire! Those looks absolutely delicious and perfectly textured. And your addition of sliced avocado is brilliant (and springy!)