Cheater’s “Cream” Sauce

April 12, 2011

Ryan and I have been trying to eat healthier for the past month or so in preparation for summer, which will be here before we know it (despite the 40 degree weather outside).

One of the things I like to do when we’re eating healthy is get creative with swaps in the kitchen.  A while back, I made a really tasty “cream” sauce with cottage cheese and sauteed onions and garlic—it sounds weird, but it was so good!

On Sunday, I experimented again.  We were out of cottage cheese, but we did have…Greek yogurt!

I’m a huge fan of Greek yogurt—so much protein packed into such a small little package! Plus, it’s SO much creamier than regular ol’ yogurt (sorry, Dannon.  You know it’s true.).  My favorite is Fage, so it seems like we always have a cup or two hanging out in the refrigerator.

For this protein-packed “cream” sauce, I mixed a cup of Fage with some sauteed garlic, a bit of salt, and fresh parsley in the food processor, then processed until smooth.  To serve, I simply placed the sauce in the bottom of our serving dish—no need to heat it! Topping it and tossing it with the warm pasta and mushrooms heated it through perfectly.

The sauce was flecked with herbs, and it coated our papardelle pasta with sauteed mushrooms perfectly!

I’m not saying that you’d mistake this for a rich alfredo sauce…but for a healthy, low-fat, high protein option, this hit the spot!

What are some healthy swaps that you make when you’re trying to eat healthier and lose a few of those winter pounds?

1. April 12, 2011 1:15 pm

Sounds perfect. I love using Greek yogurt for just about anything that is creamy. I think the key to making healthier alternatives, such as this sauce, is to NOT have the real thing to compare it to. I mean, if you had a real alfredo sauce to taste, and then tasted this healthier version, you would clearly prefer the real stuff. BUT if you don’t have anything to compare it to, I think it always taste great! It’s always hard to bring a healthier dessert to a party with other desserts, because no one will like it. But if it’s the only dessert, it’s always a hit!

2. April 12, 2011 1:16 pm

I like to use silken tofu for “cream” sauces. It works so well, especially for those with dairy intolerance like my hubs. I used to use Greek yogurt in sauces more frequently.

• April 12, 2011 6:56 pm

I use tofu too. It is a great substitute!

I have never tried Greek yogurt or cottage cheese. I have a hard time associating them with dinner food since I usually have these for breakfast with some berries and oats.

3. April 12, 2011 1:24 pm

Paparadelle is my favorite, especially when it’s fresh!

4. April 12, 2011 1:29 pm

Yum – that pasta dish look delicious!!

5. April 12, 2011 1:44 pm

I love cheating with Greek yogurt. For me, it’s slightly tricky not to get a curdle. I’ve been swapping in a lot of quinoa and barley for pasta to shed those winter lbs!

6. April 12, 2011 1:59 pm

You known never thought to use Greek yogurt for cream sauce but it sounds perfect! Especially with the garlic 🙂

7. April 12, 2011 2:15 pm

Yum, that sounds so good. I used to make my egg salad with greek yogurt, rather than mayo, but have since reverted back.

8. April 12, 2011 3:06 pm

If you like tofu, it’s also a good substitute. If you put enough spice in it, there’s no soy flavor at all. My favorite is making fake-out creamy pesto with a whole lot of basil and garlic.

9. April 12, 2011 3:40 pm

I used to LOVE cottage cheese on my pasta. I never got the chance to try greek yogurt before I had to go off dairy. I would imagine it would be really good for a cream sauce though. I need to try that for the boys, Tony and Jay have been loving cream sauces lately! Thanks for the idea!

10. April 12, 2011 5:54 pm

I love using Laughing Cow’s mini wedges with sour cream to make a fake-alfredo sauce! They have a ton of fun flavors too – I pretty much each one every night as my bedtime snack with Kashi crackers!

11. April 12, 2011 6:46 pm

Totally bookmarked! as most of your recipes are =) I cant wait to try this!!! Thanks girl!

12. April 12, 2011 7:10 pm

Sounds great!!!

13. April 12, 2011 8:19 pm

Love the idea of a Greek yogurt cream sauce. Sure looks tasty!

14. April 12, 2011 9:29 pm

Fabulous! I recently used a Chobani recipe to make a healthy Caesar salad- it was SO good. I can’t wait to make it again! Other lightening it up tricks- use salsa instead of salad dressing, apple sauce or fruit purees instead of fats in baked goods!

15. JenATX permalink
    April 12, 2011 10:32 pm

If I’m craving chips & salsa I’ll use cucumber slices instead of chips because I’m usually just going for the crunch & the flavor of the salsa.
    Cheese-less pizzas are awesome I’ve just discovered. A little pesto goes a long way for flavor in place of the cheese.
    I also enjoy those Laughing Cow cheese triangles on my bagels instead of cream cheese.

16. April 12, 2011 11:19 pm

I love the pictures…omg, beautiful!!

I use stevia rather than white sugar for lots of things. But not in baking 🙂

17. April 13, 2011 12:17 am

One habit I’ve gotten into is using stevia instead of other sweeteners in my tea. I suck down like ten mugs of tea a day, so even the small amount of brown sugar I use mounts up!

18. April 13, 2011 12:31 am

yum! I love the idea of subbing greek yogurt for a cream sauce. great idea!

19. April 13, 2011 2:05 am

Just wow, this sounds divine! Very creative with greek yogurt!

I’ll cut the amount of nuts or seeds in raw dips and sauces substituting chopped veggies and use spiralized veggies in place of pasta.

20. April 13, 2011 11:22 am

love the idea of using yogurt as a cream sauce!! looks wonderful

21. April 13, 2011 1:23 pm

Delicious! I use greek yogurt for sour cream now too. You can just squirt some lemon into plain greek yogurt, mix it in and it tastes so similar. I would only ever buy (and waste) a thing of sour cream if I was making tacos, so now it’s much easier (and cheaper) to buy a small container of yogurt instead.

22. April 13, 2011 1:36 pm

I sub Greek yogurt for a tons of things! This sounds like a winning recipe! 🙂

23. April 14, 2011 1:24 am

When I am making sandwiches I swap whole wheat Sandwich Thins for bread and Veggie Slices vegan cheese. They area great low cal/low fat option when you are brown baggin’ it for lunch!

24. April 14, 2011 3:05 am

What a great idea! Super easy and way better for you- I love it! The look of the whole deal looks amazing.

25. April 15, 2011 12:37 am

I love love greek yogurt and fage is my fave! The cream sauce sounds SO delicious.

26. April 15, 2011 10:58 am

It sounds wonderful! Greek yogurt is so versatile!

27. April 15, 2011 3:27 pm

That sauce looks delish! I’ve cooked with yogurt and tofu a lot… great substitutes for cream, eggs and butter.