Curry Up and Make This Dish

April 7, 2011

I never can resist a good pun.

Or a good curry dish—which this is.  Ryan has been away at a conference for the past few days, which means that I’ve been eating totally random, not always balanced dinners.  It’s like when he leaves, I forget how to cook a balanced meal.  Last night, I had roasted cauliflower and dark chocolate.  The night before that, I had okra, popcorn, and almond butter on a spoon.

Anyway.

I thought that tonight when I come home from teaching, I might be in the mood for more of a balanced meal, so I cooked up this easy pasta salad this morning.  You could serve it hot, but mine is chilling in the refrigerator right now, and I think it’s going to be mighty tasty cold.

This dish couldn’t have been easier.  I cooked about a cup of whole wheat pasta (fun shape, right?).  While the pasta was cooking, I sauteed a bunch of chopped asparagus (cut about 1-inch in length) with a small yellow onion.

For the dressing/sauce, I made a healthy riff off of traditional curried mayo: 1/2 cup Greek yogurt, 1 tbsp. yellow curry, salt to taste, and a drizzle of agave to add a touch of sweetness.  Yum!  Once the pasta was done cooking, I added a few tablespoons of the starchy cooking liquid to thin out the sauce a bit.

Combined it all together…

…and voila:

Delicious pasta salad! I think I’m going to top mine with golden raisins and a bit of coconut tonight when I get home tonight!

Off to teach…the sun is shining!

1. April 7, 2011 4:09 pm

You always take such great pictures! And I love single girl dinner nights!

2. April 7, 2011 4:09 pm

That looks delicious!! I love asparagus, I love curry … I would love this! 🙂

3. April 7, 2011 4:34 pm

What a great combo! So easy too 🙂

4. April 7, 2011 5:11 pm

Love that shot of the sliced asparagus ends! So pretty 🙂

5. April 7, 2011 5:30 pm

Yay! The sun is shining here as well. I totally relate to the way you eat when you’re home alone – I am the same way…I may have some dark chocolate when I get home from work, maybe some cereal at 8 p.m. and popcorn at 10 p.m. and then I wonder why my stomach feels all funky in the morning 🙂

Your salad looks wonderful – I really need to use curry more often.

6. April 7, 2011 5:34 pm

Lol at cauliflower and dark chocolate for dinner! I’d probably have popcorn for dinner too. 🙂 Just wow on this dish, it looks wonderful!

7. April 7, 2011 6:08 pm

Awesome. That looks fantastic. I was thinking that the next time I do the currried tempeh wraps that I did last night, I will add in raisins. Jealous of the asparagus. I was going to pick some up at WFs yesterday and they were awful.

8. April 7, 2011 8:06 pm

That looks really great. I always have pasta and asparagus on hand so I like seeing how people cook with both ingredients.

9. April 7, 2011 8:38 pm

I do this with broccoli, cauliflower, and potatoes (sweet and reg)

but duhhh this looks so awesome! i have it bookmarked to remind me =)

fab. u. lous.

10. April 7, 2011 9:41 pm

Yum! I love the asparagus in there! Are you entering it in the SOS challenge this month? =)

11. April 8, 2011 12:23 am

I just *LOVE* curry! Looks yummy!

12. April 8, 2011 12:55 am

You’re just like my mom! Except much healthier… when my dad’s away, she just makes popcorn.

13. April 8, 2011 1:23 am

WOW This look delicious. I love curry and asparagus together, it’s the best.

14. April 8, 2011 1:24 am

love the recipe and the pics

the asparagus pile
    and the 2nd to last pic, the closeup of the food…oh, beautiful work!! 🙂

15. April 8, 2011 1:37 am

I love your title! 🙂 This recipe sounds amazing!

16. Ginger permalink
    April 8, 2011 12:20 pm

Oh, I love curry! That looks delicious, and you could add all kinds of different things to it. I’ll be making this one. (So glad the sun is finally shining on you!)

17. April 8, 2011 3:19 pm

My mom was telling me that there is an insoluble fiber in all pasta when it is cold – it is apparently uber good for you (like the fiber in potatoes), which sounds to me like a great excuse to eat cold pasta!

18. April 8, 2011 3:54 pm

haha- I do the SAME thing when Josh goes away. I become the random eater 🙂 The pasta salad looks fantastic- I love the dressing!

19. April 8, 2011 4:27 pm

That looks like what I’m craving for lunch right now! I love your picture of the asparagus, and those noodles are super funky, too!

20. April 8, 2011 6:59 pm

Wow…this might be my favorite one you’ve posted!!

21. April 9, 2011 2:00 am

I never realized that yogurt would make a good pasta sauce! Your creativity knows no end Anna – I love it.

Hope you have a lovely weekend and get some much needed sun!

22. April 9, 2011 12:10 pm

I love visiting blogs because I have had zero creativity lately. Great recipe! Curry isn’t a flavor I usually make at home, but I think this needs to change!

23. JenATX permalink
    April 9, 2011 3:36 pm

thank you for saying “anyway.” All my friends say “anyways” and no one believes me when I tell them that is the incorrect way to use the word. I guess its just one of those weird pet peeves of mine!

24. April 10, 2011 1:22 am

I don’t know how you do it Anna, but you can take the simplest of ingredients and turn it into something amazing!!!

25. April 11, 2011 4:11 pm

Mmmmm curry. What a simple dish to make, I bet it would be good for picnics.