Spring for Some Orzo

April 4, 2011

Hi friends!

Thanks for all of your comments about being in a funk—it sounds like you know exactly what I’m talking about!

Many of you said that when you find yourself in a funk, you try to create some new project or activity to focus on…and that’s exactly what I did!

I might be nuts, but I created…a second blog!

Check it out if you’re so inclined at www.soyouhaveanmfa.com.  It’s going to be totally different from this blog—all about writing, publishing, teaching, etc.  And I already have some of my grad school friends interested in publishing on it as well, so I think it will be a fun communal effort.

Anyway—I think it worked! I’m feeling much brighter today!

Of course, the fact that the sun is out and it’s about 60 degrees probably doesn’t hurt either.  😉

Last night, we had a “Dear God, why didn’t we go to the grocery store today?!?!” meal.  The veggies in this dish—cherry tomatoes, parsley (that’s a vegetable, right?), and green bell peppers—were literally the only vegetables in our crisper drawer.  A trip to the grocery store is definitely in order today, but I have to say…this was really tasty, for being a basically last-ditch effort of a meal!

Our dinner was lemon-pepper orzo, served hot with canned chickpeas, cherry tomatoes, green peppers, parsley, and a generous squeeze of lemon juice and olive oil.  Yum!

You know the term Mediterranean chic?  This was Mediterranean cheap.

Hope you’re having a great Monday! I’m off to take a short run in this balmy weather!

1. April 4, 2011 3:20 pm

I wish I had all that stuff in my fridge when things are running low. Dang it looks good to me! I’m glad you found some sunshine and a brighter perspective. Hopefully the week will treat you well!

2. April 4, 2011 3:37 pm

I’m convinced orzo is magical. It’s true you know 😉

3. April 4, 2011 3:48 pm

Orzo is a wonder food. I love it with a Mediterranean flair – all you need is some feta!

4. April 4, 2011 4:03 pm

what a great idea for a blog! good luck with it.

5. April 4, 2011 4:29 pm

I actually think that looks quite delicious!

6. April 4, 2011 4:54 pm

Yum! I love when something delicious just “happens” in the kitchen. That dish looks delish!

7. April 4, 2011 4:56 pm

What a great new project! I hope it helps you with the funk!
    Also, I wish someone were here to make me that orzo salad. It looks tasty. Cheap/Chic, what’s the difference?

8. April 4, 2011 5:35 pm

Finding a new project is such a great idea – and I think your advice in that area will be totally helpful! Glad you are feeling better about things!

9. April 4, 2011 5:37 pm

Glad you’re feeling better today. The sun DEFINITELY helps. Hey, that dinner doesn’t look to shabby if you ask me 😉

10. Ali permalink
    April 4, 2011 5:54 pm

That looks quite yummy. And I enjoyed reading your new blog very much! You are a great writer! Best of luck with everything!

11. April 4, 2011 6:07 pm

Congrats on the new blog 🙂 Can’t wait to read more 🙂

12. April 4, 2011 6:40 pm

Last ditch effort or not, looks really good!!!!

13. April 4, 2011 9:47 pm

That looks like a pretty darn good “cleaning out the fridge” meal! I’m impressed the tomatoes stayed fresh- they’re usually the first thing I try to use!

14. April 4, 2011 10:32 pm

my “i have nothing in my fridge meal” tends to be pasta with garlic and onion and if i have it spinach….

This seems yummier 🙂

15. April 4, 2011 11:20 pm

Mediterranean cheap? hahaha. Your orzo sounds so fresh and simple! I love tomatoes + parsley + chickpeas + lemon juice. Perfect for spring :).

Have a lovely day!

16. April 4, 2011 11:35 pm

I love this spring-time meal! Sounds delicious!

17. April 4, 2011 11:37 pm

Congrats on the new blog!!! We hope to start a second one here soon on photography 🙂 And right now my refrigerator is completely empty! I need to go to the grocery store which is on my list to do tomorrow. It is nice though being able to throw together a nice simple meal even with minimal ingredients 🙂

18. April 5, 2011 1:54 am

“Mediterranean chic? This was Mediterranean cheap. “–

I LOVE THAT! 🙂

As for the new blog..you are a go-getter!!! Off to check it out…

19. April 5, 2011 2:09 am

Very cool on the blog! Can’t wait to check it out. I know those meals, I was way too lazy to get to the store last week! 🙂 But your dinner looks wonderful, sometimes my best creations come when I’m working with limited ingredients.

20. April 5, 2011 11:09 am

I just bought orzo for the first time this week! I am making mine with dill and cucumber and shrimp. I can’t wait! I love that yours has chickpeas in it… Mmm!

21. April 6, 2011 4:51 am