Funk

April 3, 2011

Hi friends!

Sorry to have disappeared over the last few days…I know my posts are getting fewer and farther between! I’ve been working hard at grading, writing, and sending out poems (two more accepted!), but the truth is—I’ve also just been in a funk.

We spent Thursday looking at this:

You don’t need the dog whisperer to tell you what Baxter is thinking here: “WTF?!?!?”

I agree, small friend.  I agree.

Though the snow was gone by Friday, it’s still been cold, pretty gray, and just…ughghghg.

I try to keep the blog pretty positive, but let’s just say that the past few days, I’ve been a bit of a negative Nancy.

Annnnnnway…it’s supposed to warm up this week! Bring on the sun—I think I need it!

Last night, we made an eggplant dish that was somewhat similar to an eggplant caponata.

This dish had: eggplant, onion, diced tomatoes, lemon juice, golden raisins, cardamom, and cinnamon.  We served it over couscous…very comforting!

I’m off to do a bit of yoga—I’m trying to start my mornings with twenty minutes of yoga every day this month!

What do you do when you find yourself in a funk?

1. April 3, 2011 12:05 pm

I love that you’re doing yoga! And dont apologize for lack of posting. Trust me, life happens 🙂 we all get that!!

xoxo

2. April 3, 2011 12:20 pm

Hi negative Nancy, I’m Debbie downer….nice to meet ya! I was actually feeling great yesterday. The sun was shining, we were cleaning up, getting ready to go to Tony’s parents’ place in TN for a few days for Spring Break. At noon the yard was completely done and the house was cleaned (even mopped)…I ran to the bank and on the way home, the check engine light came on. Yep, it’s gonna be one of those kind of weeks…ugh. I am just trying to breathe these days through the frustrations. It does me no good to freak out, but I gotta say, I felt like throwing up yesterday when Tony told me it’s the transmission that’s the problem and it has to go to the dealer. Screw it for the good mood, it’s over rated.

I think I’m going to get outside at some point today…hopefully vitamin D with help. Julia Roberts has a line in The Mexican, “I’m a flower, I need sunshine to grow”…that line defines me! I hope you feel better today Anna. Enjoy your yoga.

3. April 3, 2011 12:25 pm

I’m definitely in a funk too! I’m going to try to step it up with healthy eating and lots of exercise for the next few weeks to see if that helps. Sorta tired of feeling like crap.
    Good luck to both of us!

4. April 3, 2011 12:30 pm

The weather will do that to you. Hopefully once it warms up and becomes more spring-like, you’ll start to feel better.

5. April 3, 2011 12:52 pm

this sounds so depressing when i write it out, but i try to sleep more. usually it’s all because i’m too exhausted to be in a great mood, so sleeping has always helped!

6. April 3, 2011 1:02 pm

When I find myself in a funk
    I write poems about a skunk
    and then my funk goes away
    and for the rest of the day
    I watch crappy tv and eat junk

• April 3, 2011 1:19 pm

Oh, Evan. You might have just squashed my funk.

7. April 3, 2011 1:13 pm

Congrats on the poems!!! I think funks are just a part of life sometimes- the best way to deal with them is to just embrace them and not fight them- veg out, read a good book, eat peanut butter cookies….and then after a few days decide it’s over 🙂

8. April 3, 2011 1:42 pm

ugh, that sucks. Hope the weather turns around soon. I think it’s getting to everyone right about now. dinner looks great though!

9. April 3, 2011 1:46 pm

I’m in PA too, so I totally understand the annoying weather we’ve been getting! Thank goodness things are looking a little brighter this weekend:)

10. April 3, 2011 2:12 pm

I am so sorry you are still getting snow. We are having the opposite problem! We’ve already cleared 90 degrees and that was in March. We are all secretly freaking out because that means summer is going to be well over 110. That scares me.

11. Emo permalink
    April 3, 2011 2:18 pm

Ooh, that eggplant looks good! I’ve been in a funk too (Jon, too, actually. And Diego, who has been sick.) I tried to cure it with some online shopping, to no avail. I’ve tried really hard not to reach for junk food, because that’s my usual method of curing funk. I tried exercise, too, but I totally phoned it in. Bottom line: I’m of no help.

12. April 3, 2011 2:51 pm

No need to apologize, funks happen. So sorry about the snow, spring will be back soon! And I hear ya on being negative, that was me last week while dealing with a stupid cold.

The eggplant dish looks fabulous, so colorful and warm.

I try to up my cardio and focus on positives when I’m in a funk. I also throw together a new “feel good” playlist or two.

13. April 3, 2011 3:01 pm

I hear you! Boston’s weather has been a little funk-inducing too (though this weekend was pretty sunny). When I’m in a funk, some good food, perhaps a solid workout and definitely some wine help. Hope things improve soon!

14. April 3, 2011 3:18 pm

Weather like that puts me in a funk too. I always slip into a funk this time of the year…but when it finally starts sunshining, I usually snap out of it! Dinner looks amazing!

15. April 3, 2011 6:08 pm

I love yoga or early morning walks/jogs with my dog when I’m in a funk. Something about working out in the morning just helps my day start off with a good feeling. Hope the weather and your mood improve soon!

16. April 3, 2011 6:14 pm

oh man. This snow is ridiculous for y’all! Hopefully that was it and spring will totally kick in now!!! What a delicious meal. I love eggplant in Italian dishes- the perfect combo. When I’m in a funk- I try to do something totally different- try a new restaurant, a new workout, a new project…anything to get my mind off the funk!

17. April 3, 2011 10:48 pm

When I get in a funk I allow myself to be a hermit for an evening with whatever I’m craving for dinner and a few episodes of The Hills. Works every time 🙂

18. April 4, 2011 1:03 am

Ick to snow in April! It was 70 and sunny today, sending some sun rays your way.

I’m in a funk as well lately and reading these comments. Hope you get out of yours soon!

19. April 4, 2011 11:37 am

We definitely got some snow here, but not even close to that much! And apparently we’re spposed to get more. Ugh. I just try to let the sun in whenever possible, and get outside as much as possible, to prevent any type of funk.

The eggplant dish sounds and looks wonderful. I love eggplant but it gives my stomach some troubles. It’s sad 😦 I wish I could eat it all the time!

20. greensandjeans permalink
    April 4, 2011 12:22 pm

You guys should come to Philly. It’s supposed to be a whopping 70 degrees today! Sure, it’s going to be raining, but the fact that it isn’t snowing makes me incredibly delighted.

21. April 4, 2011 5:12 pm

de-funk-ify girl! =) You’re such a busy bee I totally understand! I would curl up and give yourself some me-time with a glass of vino and maybe something yummy that you haven’t eaten in forev!