It’s Peanut Butter Jelly Time

March 19, 2011

Hi friends! Happy Saturday! Our temps have dropped back down, but the sun is still here, so I’ll take it.

We’ve had a fun weekend already—last night, we saw The Wailin’ Jenny’s in concert with our friends Lee and Steve.  They were so, so good—such beautiful voices!

Tonight, we’re headed out to meet up with Nick and Emily, who recently announced to the blog world (and the rest of the world) that they’re expecting their first baby! So exciting! Emily and Nick have both been posting weekly updates about the pregnancy, and Emily mentioned that her first “pregnancy meltdown” was over the fact that she didn’t have the necessary ingredients for a badly-desired peanut butter and jelly sandwich.  Because of this, I thought it would be fitting to make a recipe that caught my eye in the latest issue of Bon Appetit magazine to take as a gift for the parents-to-be: peanut butter and jelly bars.

My friend Elyssa made some peanut butter and jelly bars for a dinner party a while back (okay, it was like four years ago), and they were so good that I STILL remember them! I’m hoping that these bars are just as yummy:

Can we just take a minute to appreciate how freakin’ good Bonne Maman preserves are?  My friends still make fun of me for eating jam straight from the jar when we were studying abroad in France, but I don’t care—that stuff is dang tasty!  I took a few swipes straight up from this jar, too.

Just call me Joey Tribiani:

I can’t post the recipe, but let me just say—it might be worth going out and buying your own copy of this month’s issue.

Mmmm…Ryan and I sampled the bars once they were done (you know…just to make sure they were okay), and they were mighty tasty! Nice and salty with the peanuts on top, and sweet from the strawberry jam.  Just like a classic pb&j…but with lots of butter.  Lots and lots of butter.

In other blog news, one of my good friends from Purdue has started a blog of her own: Apothecary’s Chest, Alchemist’s Table.  Mindy is an excellent poet, a damn good cook, a gardener extraordinaire, and a Bachelor connoisseur, so I have no doubt that her blog will be fabulous. Check it out for yourself!

Hope you’re having a great weekend!

1. March 19, 2011 9:43 pm

The bars look amazing. I made some peanut butter and jelly bars years ago and have not since made them since they are dangerous for me to be around! Have fun tonight and congrats to your friends! That is amazing news!

2. March 19, 2011 9:54 pm

seriously, pb&j bars are the BEST dessert…well, next to lemon bars.

did you know i got asked the other day if i was from minnesota (???) because i like bars? apparently they’re the bee’s knees in that neck of the woods…

3. March 19, 2011 10:18 pm

When I first started dating Len, he bought a peanut butter and jelly brownie for himself. It looked SO good but we had just started dating so I couldn’t just snatch it from his hand like I would now. I kid you not, it took him 3 days to eat the damn thing.Forkful here, forkful there. I wanted to KILL him. I actually just picked one up from the same deli today. YUM!!!!

4. March 19, 2011 10:27 pm

those bars look PERFECT! PB & J is the best flavor combo ever 🙂

5. March 19, 2011 10:49 pm

Awesome bar recipe! My hubby loves PB & J sandwiches with lots of butter, so this is the perfect bar for him!! Enjoy the rest of your wkd!!

6. March 20, 2011 12:00 am

I love peanut butter and jelly anything. Those look really good.

7. March 20, 2011 12:52 am

Oh of course a sample is needed, I mean…before you post about them and all 🙂 These things sound amazing!
    Don’t go crazy here, but I’ve never tried this type of jelly. I’m pretty sure we sell it where I work too….so I think I’ll have to give it a try soon!!

8. March 20, 2011 1:01 am

I can’t believe you remembered these, Anna! So awesome. I can’t even remember where I got the recipe…but they have the Bon Appetit one online for anyone who’s interested:

Also, you’re so right about Bonne Maman. I just tried the fig jam for the first time, and it did not disappoint. I’m thinking that a variation on the pb&j bars, with maybe fig jam and cashew butter….or strawberry jam and sunflower seed butter….would be really yummy, too!

9. March 20, 2011 1:55 am

You are AWESOME! And so are these bars. Seriously, I broke into them as soon as we got into the car. And I had another when we got home — with a big glass of milk, of course. Little Peanut and I both thank you! Hope to see you and Ryan again soon.

10. March 20, 2011 1:15 pm

YUM!! I need to make these! Thank you for sharing 🙂

11. March 20, 2011 1:19 pm

Bonne Maman is the greatest! I had it for the first time when I was studying abroad, when a friend told me that her parents would go to France to buy cases of it before it was available in London. I think it was definitely worth the trip.

12. March 20, 2011 1:21 pm

Our temps have dropped too 😛 But I figure they can’t stay down forever! 🙂

Happy Sunday!

13. mgutowsk permalink
    March 20, 2011 1:39 pm

Thanks for the shout out Anna!

14. March 20, 2011 3:46 pm

Oh yum, the bars look absolutely perfect! You’re so sweet! I wish we has sun this weekend, it’s been all rain and wind. 😦

15. greensandjeans permalink
    March 20, 2011 4:50 pm

Anything peanut butter is a-okay with me, although, I have always been more of a peanut butter and honey than peanut butter and jelly fan…

16. March 20, 2011 7:30 pm

What a great treat! I love bringing friends good food! The peanuts are an awesome touch. Enjoy your Sunday

17. March 20, 2011 9:12 pm

Um…. DROOL! Seriously! This looks so much better than the pb and J crackers i’ve been making myself to snack on lately… ahhh I want those bars!

happy sunday doll!

18. March 21, 2011 2:32 am

I need to make these for my husband…he’d love them!

19. March 21, 2011 4:58 am

i LOVE that jar of jelly! especially the top!!

20. March 21, 2011 11:48 am

I have seen PB and J bars a lot lately, but have never made them. I think it’s high time to get going on that one!!

21. Emo permalink
    March 21, 2011 1:13 pm

Did you sing “peanut, peanut butter…and jelly!” while you were baking? Next time. 🙂
    They look delish! And Bonne Mamman is the best jelly/preserves ever.

22. Kelly permalink
    March 21, 2011 3:49 pm

Wow…those bars look wonderful!!

23. March 21, 2011 6:47 pm

Those bars look perfect! I’m a total sucker for anything PB&J! I’ve had that jelly before, and it hands down the best jelly around!

24. March 21, 2011 7:21 pm

Those seriously look so good. And I remember the days of craving PBJ…and crying over not being able to eat what you crave. Good choice to bring those bars!

25. March 21, 2011 9:52 pm

no, I really am going to buy that magazine now! that looks great

26. Rene permalink
    March 25, 2011 2:03 pm

I’ve made these twice and both times used different flavors of jams. First time, it was a blueberry and second time, it was a blackberry. Both times I used high quality jams – equiv or at least I think so to the fantastic Bonne Maman, i.e. Stonewall brand. I’ve used chunky pb when it was all I had in the house and organic, stir it up first, creamy pb and the second batch was more creamy and easier to mix but both were dreamy good. Adults as well as kids adore these and they are great for after school treats, breakfast, lunch, picnics, housewarming or party food. Great with cold milk or hot coffee. Can’t go wrong. Hope everyone gets to try these out. They’re simple and even kids can help put it together with you making it their signature treat.