Simplify, Simplify

March 18, 2011

I think this is kind of what Thoreau had in mind:

In the winter, I’m all for complicated recipes, but by the time spring rolls around, I simplify.  I start cutting my cooking time, thinking about meals that I can make with 5 ingredients as opposed to 20, reducing my grocery shopping to once a week, and remembering that almost anything can be seasoned with a simple squeeze of lemon and a sprinkle of salt.

Most of our meals this past week have consisted of five ingredients or less: couscous with asparagus and chickpeas; vegetarian sausage sauteed with peppers and onions…and today’s lunch, which got it down to just four: eggs, avocado, salt, and bread.

You might call it laziness…but I say I’m just striving to be more transcendental in my cooking.  🙂

Off to enjoy this spring day with a walk in the sun!

1. March 18, 2011 6:20 pm

I’m also all for quick, fresh meals in the spring and summer. Enjoy the sunshine!

2. March 18, 2011 6:24 pm

I always love recipes with few ingredients, and simple foods such as this – it looks amazing and I know it tastes it too…

3. March 18, 2011 6:38 pm

I couldn’t agree more! Spring and summer is all about simplicity. Less time in the kitchen, more time outdoors 🙂

4. March 18, 2011 7:11 pm

Simple meals are often the best. This looks so delicious!

5. March 18, 2011 7:24 pm

Spring and Summer is all about simplicity! Summer dinners revolve around whatever I can grill 🙂

6. March 18, 2011 7:43 pm

I’ve been trying to keep that in mind as we start the process of moving – simplify = throwing s#$ out!

7. March 18, 2011 7:46 pm

I try to simplify too, something about spring cleaning and wanting to declutter.

8. March 18, 2011 7:50 pm

Simple is good. I love complicated sometimes, but that’s mostly when I’m cooking with Tony. Otherwise I want easy!

9. March 18, 2011 8:29 pm

Yum…eggs and avocado go so well together! I agree with simplifying. In the spring and summer I cut way down on my spices and other ingredients…I want to eat and enjoy, and I’m not so attracted to utilizing the stove as a source of warmth. It’s nice having spring in the air!

10. March 18, 2011 9:15 pm

The number of ingredients is irrelevant Anna, the fact that they work so well together and look delicious is what matters!

11. March 18, 2011 9:44 pm

This sounds yummmmmmmmy!

12. March 18, 2011 10:37 pm

Simple and easy…yay! That’s my kind of recipe. I like something simple and something that doesn’t require the oven to be on to overheat the house once the temperatures turn warm. Your lunch looks great!

13. March 19, 2011 12:29 am

heavenly….

14. March 19, 2011 1:02 am

Ooohhh I’m not an egg person, but the addition of avocado in that has got me sold. One of my all-time favorite flavors!

15. March 19, 2011 2:43 am

“cutting my cooking time, thinking about meals that I can make with 5 ingredients as opposed to 20, reducing my grocery shopping to once a week, and remembering that almost anything can be seasoned with a simple squeeze of lemon and a sprinkle of salt. “—

YES THANK YOU!!!!!!!

And i got your email, will be replying later tonite/tomorrow when i have more time. loved every word 🙂

16. March 19, 2011 2:43 am

As a high school English teacher, I’m loving the Thoreau reference in your post 🙂 And also your simple recipe!

17. March 19, 2011 6:58 pm

I totally agree! Spring/summer calls for simplicity and natural flavors!

18. March 20, 2011 3:45 pm