Spring Break Slump

March 16, 2011

Yesterday afternoon, the students in all three of my classes were pretty lackluster.  I couldn’t figure out why—isn’t spring break supposed to give everyone more energy? I finally asked one of my classes what the deal was, and one of my students told me that it was depressing to have to come back from spring break to such grey, cold weather.

All I can say is…ugh. I agree.

My students are more ready for spring than ever, and I’m right there with them! It’s so hard to get a taste of warmer temps and sunshine, only to have to wait another month for it to come back!

Anyway…is it springy where you are yet?  This is one of those times of year that I really, really miss the south—mild temperatures, azaleas blooming everywhere, wine on the back porch…sigh.

But, spring will be here too, eventually.  I’ll just keep waiting!

Today, I experimented with the traditional humnut recipe (hummus, nutritional yeast, and water) to make something with a little more of a kick.  This mix, to me, tasted almost like spicy pimento cheese.  I hate to even call it a recipe because it was SO easy, but here it is:

Vegan Pimento Humnut Spread

Ingredients:

2 tbsp. nutritional yeast

2 tbsp. hummus (I used Sabra spicy hummus)

1 large slice of roasted red pepper (from jar)

Directions:

Put ingredients in food processor and pulse until smooth.

Here’s the spread:

I put it on a wrap for lunch, but it would be just as tasty as a dip or even a sauce for pasta.  It had real kick to it!

I’m off to meet with a student…have a great day!

1. March 16, 2011 6:25 pm

Oooh supremely spicy and looking supremely delish!

2. March 16, 2011 6:29 pm

It’s been cold, gray and rainy here are week, hard to feel spring in this ick. But the vegan spread looks very warm and springy, thanks!

3. March 16, 2011 6:34 pm

I bet it would taste great on a piece of concrete…holy Tim!

4. March 16, 2011 6:41 pm

Ugh, totally in that slump! We’re also registering students for our course this spring and we’re getting all of the seniors who didn’t do it earlier so they are FREAKING out. I wish they would just go back on break – or at least I could go back on break!

Loved your post about the vegetarian label too. So glad you’re doing what makes you happy!

5. March 16, 2011 7:05 pm

it is NOT springy in upstate NY. It is downright dreary and gross. I feel their pain!

I love the thought of combining hummus and nutritional yeast. I’ve only had nutritional yeast on kale chips and it is damn good!

6. Emo permalink
    March 16, 2011 7:11 pm

Supremely Spicy Hummus– what?! I’ve never seen that before! Where is it?! I am partial to Athenos hummus, but Sabra is made near Richmond, so it’s the hometown brand.

• March 16, 2011 7:21 pm

Ahhhh, sabra is my number ONE!!! It’s so creamy and smooth! I like the classic the best, but this spicy kind was good too!

7. March 16, 2011 7:22 pm

I love easy recipes like this! I really need to try hummut.

I always refer to the funk after vacation as “post-vacation depression”….I always get it after being somewhere tropical.

Thankfully we are getting a small dose of Spring. Hopefully it’s here to stay!

8. thehungryscholar permalink
    March 16, 2011 8:03 pm

My students have been bleh all year. When I asked about the low energy they said: “This is when we usually chill out.” Well, excuse me. You can DVR iCarly.

Hope the weather improves.

9. March 16, 2011 8:39 pm

There is nothing in that I don’t love! YUM! I’m with you, I need the sun to stay! It was horribly nasty yesterday, but today it is sunny. Now I just want it to be warm! Have a good afternoon Anna!

10. March 16, 2011 9:00 pm

Love the unique combo Anna! It looks delicious.

11. March 16, 2011 9:31 pm

When I lived in SC I seriously od’ed on pimento cheese dip. The real kind. And it was wonderful but I havent had any in YEARS! I think I need to try this…ASAP!

12. March 16, 2011 10:43 pm

That hummus sounds awesome! I can relate with my students. It’s finally a little nice out and 4 of them were late to their final exam (which they’re taking as I type). Terds!!!

13. March 17, 2011 12:54 am

Jason and I go through an obscene amount of Supremely Spicy Sabra.

14. March 17, 2011 2:00 am

I LOVE pimento cheese and this sounds awesome!

15. March 17, 2011 4:55 am

I want Spring NOW! It’s been nice for a couple of days at a time…and then it all turns to mush and rains again.

I was thinking the sauce would be great in a wrap or on a flatbread/pizza dealio.

16. March 17, 2011 11:20 am

Ugh, tell me about it. I can’t decide whether I should bring my winter coat back from break or not…I wish spring would just show up in all its glory!!

17. March 17, 2011 12:06 pm

I have had nutritional yeast for awhile but haven’t used it. It makes me nervous for some reason. I think I can handle using it to make this! thanks!

18. March 17, 2011 3:59 pm

Humnut- I love it! I’ve never heard of that, but it sure is fun to say and looks delicious 🙂

19. March 17, 2011 6:51 pm

Where are you spring?! I need it!!!! It’s in the mid 60’s today and nice and sunny, but it’s going to get cold again 😦

20. March 17, 2011 11:45 pm

It is so hard to go back to cold weather and routine when you’re use to warmth and relaxation! They’ll get back on track soon. Homemade hummus is the best! Do you read broccoli hut? She has some amazing recipes

21. March 18, 2011 4:15 pm

I wish our spring was coming sooner – it’s in the transitional period where we still SHOULD be wearing winter coats, but just don’t want to! You recipe looks delicious – and sometimes simple recipes are the best! I can’t wait to try it!

Trackbacks

1. Recipe Round Up: Blog Inspiration!