Perspective

March 14, 2011

Hi friends! I feel like it’s been forever since my last blog post—sorry to leave you hanging!

Ryan and I really enjoyed our last day in Key West.  We did a lot of (surprise, surprise) walking—we made our way down to the Southernmost Point in the continental US, and then just kind of explored from there.  Here are a few highlights:

DSC_0009 (9)DSC_0013 (9) DSC_0017 (8)

And then enjoyed a great veggie lunch:

This lunch was from a great little mainly vegan hole-in-the-wall that we discovered on a neighborhood side street.  I’m glad we stopped—it was great! I also enjoyed a smoothie with pineapple, spinach, mango, and cucumber.  It sounds strange, but it was yummy!

After one final afternoon in the sun, we got ready to head out for a final dinner out…and that’s when things started to go downhill.

Around 7:30, we headed out for dinner, but as soon as we placed our orders, Ryan started feeling SUPER nauseous.  He waited a bit to see if it would pass, but it just kept getting worse, so we actually ended up just getting our food boxed up and heading back to the condo. Once we got home, poor Ryan was sick ALL night—I guess he caught some sort of stomach bug…the Key West version of Montezuma’s Revenge or something.

Ryan spent all of Friday night sick, and by the next morning, he still wasn’t feeling any better.  Even so, he decided to just wing it and try to make it home—our flights to DC were pretty short, so he just wanted to tough it out.

We made it through our flights and the 2 hour drive back to Altoona, but by the time we got back in town, he still wasn’t feeling any better (tmi—he spent the entire drive home throwing up into the barf bag he swiped from the last flight).  So, instead of going home…we went to the emergency room.  Ryan was worried that he was getting super dehydrated, and he wanted to try to get some medicine for whatever it was that was kicking his butt.

Long story short, we sat in the emergency room for about four hours last night.  But, just as I was feeling pretty sorry for myself, the television in the hospital started showing coverage from Japan.  Talk about putting things into perspective.  Four hours in the hospital is nothing compared to the utter devastation Japan is facing right now, and seeing all of the footage reminded me of just how lucky I have it.

Sooooo, long story long, Ryan got medicine, he got rehydrated, and today he’s feeling 90% better.  I’m sure he’ll be back to 100% tomorrow.

Tonight, I was on my own in terms of solid food, so I experimented with a little socca.  For a while now, I’ve been wanting to make green socca, and what better time, with St. Patrick’s Day just around the corner?

To make this green socca, in a blender, I combined 1/2 cup chickpea flour, 1/2 cup water, 1 tsp. olive oil, and a big handful of spinach in the blender.  Blended it until it looked like…a green monster!

Then, I poured it into a pan that had been sprayed with cooking spray and baked it at 350 for about 15 minutes.

DSC_0028 (8) DSC_0027 (8)

For the meal, I topped my spinach socca with humnut sauce and tomatoes…kind of like a healthy, vegan pizza!

This green socca was great! Honestly, it didn’t taste much different from the original socca…but what a fun way to get in an extra serving of greens!

Well, I’m pretty tired…I was feeling really relaxed during our vacation, but I think last night kicked me back into high-stress mode! Hopefully this week will be an easy one…

See you tomorrow!

1. March 14, 2011 1:30 am

OMG thats horrible, sorry to hear he felt so horrible on your vaca and the way back but at least he’s better now!

I had to google what socca is and I need to try it. I love how festive your socca is!

2. March 14, 2011 1:40 am

Glad Ryan is feeling better.

I have no idea what socca is but I’m about to google it because it looks good.

3. March 14, 2011 2:38 am

the socca looks gorgeous and it almost matches the background of your blog. it’s one big vibrant greenfest here 🙂

ryan and being sick…there is nothing worse than getting sick from traveling. i have been there. mexico, costa rica, the caribbean…and have ended up in the hosp once back on u.s. soil. Not fun.

Hope he’s 100% soon!

4. March 14, 2011 2:44 am

that pic of the baby chickens is so sweet. enjoy the rest of your trip anna.

5. actorsdiet permalink
    March 14, 2011 4:36 am

GORGEOUS soca. i want to make one now!

6. March 14, 2011 10:33 am

Sorry to hear that Ryan got sick. Travelling while feeling terrible is the worst..

7. March 14, 2011 10:33 am

So sorry about Ryan’s illness. I’m sure it sobering, thinking about how ill he was feeling and putting it into the perspective of world events. Tough being thrown back into “reality” after vacation! Ugh!

But that socca- I’ve never seen a food dish exude “Bright and Cheery” like that socca! WOW! I’ve seen tons of posts on socca and had never been interested in trying … until I read THIS post! Beautiful!

8. March 14, 2011 10:35 am

Agreed about the Japan situation putting things in perspective. It’s horrifying. We have family friends who live in Japan we’ve heard from them a few times… it sounds like something from a nightmare with all the power being out, roads shut down, constant aftershocks, and people stranded all over the place. Oh my.

On a slightly more positive note, your green socca (never heard of it before) looks delish. I’m always game for adding an extra serving of green when possible! 🙂

9. March 14, 2011 11:14 am

Oh my goodness! Never a dull moment, eh?!

I’m glad you guys are home safe, nearly healthy, and sound!

10. Kelly permalink
    March 14, 2011 1:23 pm

Poor Ryan! I am so glad he is feeling better…what a rotten way to end a vacation. My heart goes out to the people of Japan. It makes me nervous to think about what will happen when the next big quake hits CA.

11. March 14, 2011 1:39 pm

oh my gosh! Poor Ryan. I’m glad you guys made it home safely and that hes feeling better.

12. March 14, 2011 1:55 pm

That is a horrible trip home. Sorry Ryan got to feeling so bad, but dehydration is no fun at all. I’m glad he is feeling better. I hope you two have a great week even if you are back to reality.

13. March 14, 2011 4:16 pm

Oh no I hope Ryan feels back to 100% today!! I’m impressed he managed to fly home in that condition. Hope you’re having a great start to your week!

14. greensandjeans permalink
    March 14, 2011 4:32 pm

I’m sorry Ryan had such a crummy “end of trip” experience! But I do have to say that I laughed after all the talk of puke at how much your green soca mix looked like vomit… I’m sure it was delicious though!

15. March 14, 2011 4:59 pm

Wow I’m glad Ryan is feeling better. Whatever bug has been going around has been knocking people on their butts, myself included.

That socca looks great to me, though.. lol!

16. March 14, 2011 5:28 pm

Glad you made it home safely. Too bad for your hubby – at least you got through most of your vacation before he got hit with the stomach bug. Totally agree about the disaster in Japan putting things into perspective. We are very lucky & blessed to be able to live where we do with so many luxuries and conveniences at our fingertips.

17. March 14, 2011 6:39 pm

Poor Ryan! I hope he’s feeling better today!!!!

18. March 14, 2011 8:30 pm

I’m just getting caught up on the last leg of your Key West trip … and poor Ryan! I’m sorry the two of you had to go through that, but I’m glad to hear he’s feeling better. And, you’re right, it’s good to keep things in perspective! Hope to see you both soon.

19. oatsandspice permalink
    March 14, 2011 8:34 pm

I hope Ryan feels better!

And ahh that green socca is amazing – what a great idea! I am going to try this ASAP 🙂 Thanks girly!

20. March 15, 2011 2:02 am

The wrap looks wonderful! Wow, so sorry about Ryan, that’s no fun on a vacation. When I was living in Florida, my sister and her husband flew out to visit from CA when they both started getting super sick just after arriving. Then I caught it, hubby caught it and our plans for their visit were trashed thanks to a hurricane evacuation. Ah, good times. Anyway, glad he’s feeling better and it didn’t interfere with the trip too much – poor guy! Ah, I loved the green socca too and making it in the Vita-Mix is so much better! 🙂

21. March 15, 2011 4:50 pm

Where did this “socca” thing come from and how come everyone is doing it??? Is everyone making this in the states as well?
    Maybe I just crawled out of a cave??

• March 15, 2011 4:53 pm

Haha…it’s gotten really big in the last couple of months! It’s just chickpea flour mixed with water to make a delicious pancake/wrap type thing. I think it’s originally French!