Ain’t No Sunshine

March 11, 2011

Hi friends! After a week of blazing temps…we’ve officially lost our sun! A major thunderstorm rolled through yesterday afternoon, and ever since then the temps have been down and the sun has disappeared! Honestly, it’s kind of a nice break—and the sunburn on my back says thank you!

Yesterday, we explored Zachary Taylor Park, where Ryan was able to nerd it up, history-style.  The man loves a good military fort.

Our afternoon included more walking, smoothies, book finishing (I read two great books on this trip—American Rust and The Imperfectionists), and napping.  Perfection.

For dinner, we cooked at home again—it has been SO nice having a kitchen here.  It’s really been cost-efficient for us to cook at home instead of going out every night—plus, we’re still enjoying the local flavors, like last night’s wild caught local shrimp.  We served the shrimp over a salad and enjoyed it with a big hunk of buttered Cuban bread.  Mouth Party.

But the icing on the cake (ha) was the slice of coconut cake we picked up at the local bakery for dessert.

My GOSH…this was fantastic.  It might go down in history as the best coconut cake I’ve ever eaten.

By the by—for those of you who have noticed (or for those who haven’t)—I have been eating seafood on this trip.  In fact, I’ve been thinking a lot about my vegetarian eating, and I might be making a few (relatively small) changes in the future—I’ll be blogging about it when we get back to real life!

But for now…I’m off to enjoy our last day in paradise!

1. March 11, 2011 2:38 pm

That cake looks delicious!!

2. March 11, 2011 2:53 pm

I almost can’t stand going on vacations now without having a kitchen. It’s so nice to be able to cook in – especially when you can sit out on a patio and look at the ocean.

3. March 11, 2011 2:57 pm

I did notice! Talk about it…please. I am having a hard time getting there, but I feel like I need to try to eat seafood for my B vitamins. Tony and I talked about it and I agreed to go pescatarian for 1 month (and he is going to give up all other meat for that month too) just to see how we feel. I want to know how you do this. I am having some major internal struggles with this, but I know I need to focus on health and the way we were meant to eat.

Oh and Tony would totally go nuts over that fort. He would give anything to live in a house with a bomb shelter. Your trip seems perfect and I am so glad you have enjoyed yourself!

4. March 11, 2011 3:02 pm

Enjoy your last day on vacation. We are in the midst of a snowstorm in Southwestern Ontario..boo!

5. March 11, 2011 3:10 pm

How beautiful-look at that gorgeous sky!

6. March 11, 2011 3:32 pm

Im making some veg-changes too! Enjoy the rest of your vacation!

7. March 11, 2011 4:27 pm

To be honest, I didn’t even bat an eyelash that you were eating seafood. I’d love to hear what you’re thinking on the matter. It’s important to do whatever is best for you, and not what everyone else thinks you should do.

8. Kelly permalink
    March 11, 2011 5:48 pm

Looks like you are having a fantastic time!!

9. March 11, 2011 9:17 pm

Sometimes a rainy or cooler vacation day is a totally nice break! Eat what feels right for your body! When I got pregnant, I felt the need to start back into a little seafood and meat. And lately I’ve been craving shrimp & crab like crazy!!! The coconut pie looks fabulous- yummy crust!

10. March 11, 2011 10:51 pm

that coconut cake looks so amazing. fat free and calorie free, right? 🙂

11. March 11, 2011 11:30 pm

I’ve never had coconut cake before but now I think I need to have it after seeing your picture.

I’m curious to see what you decide to do when you get back- I start craving seafood after a while too- and even real meat.

12. March 12, 2011 12:10 am

yay military forts! they are my guilty pleasure on vacations! the hubs and I got our engagement shoot done at ft. pickens in pensacola FL =)

enjoy!!!!!!!! ❤

13. releasethebadgers permalink
    March 12, 2011 12:55 am

my husband and i are going to key west on sunday! could you share where you got the coconut cake? it looks amazing and i’d like to snag some for myself!

• March 15, 2011 4:59 pm

We got it at Fausto’s, the little grocery store!!! It was SO good– hope you track it down! Have a great trip!

14. March 12, 2011 2:10 am

I don’t eat meat, but I love seafood. I talked to a nutritionist about it this summer and she said that while there’s solid evidence behind the downsides of eating too much meat (people are divided on the benefits of eliminating it completely, but apparently most nutritionists agree that a lot is bad), seafood has only been linked to increasing health, with the exception of mercury. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with doing what works best for you!!

15. March 12, 2011 3:10 am

I am glad you guys are having a great time. I think it is great you are eating seafood. Whenever I go home to FL, I always enjoy me some. And Lori and I have been eating eggs!!!! We actually just started, have not blogged about it. Afraid too. But I know I have to do what is right for me, right?? And you need to for you!!!

xoxo
    Michelle

16. March 15, 2011 1:42 am

Great pics and the cake looks wonderful!