This Island Is Made For Walking

March 10, 2011

And that’s just what we did!

Hi friends! Yesterday, to walk away our blues after Jon and Emily headed back to the real world, Ryan and I headed out for a walk…which turned into a lonnnng walk…which turned into two lonnnnng walks!

Yesterday morning, we walked all around the Key West neighborhoods.  Key West is fun because even though many of the main drags are pretty busy, if you duck over into some of the residential streets, they’re super quiet, and filled with beautiful houses and bungalows.  The plants and flowers here are pretty amazing too—check out the crazy tree growing on this house:

We found the big Key West cemetery and spent some time looking around:

Beautiful!

Then we headed home for some lunch and a nap.  I finished my book—American Rust.  It was really good, and takes place right in central PA, which was interesting.  It captured our area pretty perfectly.

After our relaxing afternoon, we headed out around 4:00 for…another walk! We just can’t get enough.  🙂

This time, we headed towards Smathers Beach.  There’s a great biking/running path that runs all the way along the water.  Smathers Beach was…ummmm, pretty crazy.  FILLED to the brink with spring breakers.  It was funny to watch for about 5 minutes (lots of grinding to Ke$ha, lots of beer bongs, lots of interesting bathing suit choices, and, at one point, a girl shouting “Show me the ass!!! Show me the ass!!!!” Her mother must be so proud).

It made me really glad that we’re staying in a quieter area of the island.

All in all yesterday, we walked over 11 miles! Yowza! The walks just go by so quickly when there’s so much to take in!

We returned home for dinner at our condo: sauteed fish and scallops (fresh, local, wild-caught), asparagus, pecan pilaf, and summer squash and onions.  Yum!

We followed our dinner with a long game of cards…and a trip to the ice cream stand! Perfect!

Well, we only have a few days left…I’m about to head out for a run, and Ryan just left to do yoga on the beach.  Not sure what the day holds…but I bet it will involve sun!

Happy Thursday!

1. March 10, 2011 1:38 pm

This is almost cruel you know 😉 I cannot wait for my beach vacay. So glad you guys are enjoying your time there. I had to laugh about the spring breakers….so glad there weren’t cell phones with cameras back in my day 😉

2. March 10, 2011 1:40 pm

This isn’t right….the sun/beach/outside eating-love it all but am super jealous!

3. March 10, 2011 1:46 pm

I love this post! You sound like you are at such peace right now. Enjoy your day and take in a little sun for me!

4. March 10, 2011 2:44 pm

Wow–look at that sunshine! Gorgeous!

5. patti permalink
    March 10, 2011 2:48 pm

Sounds like a relaxing vacation with ther perfect meal last night. Enjoy the last few days 🙂

6. March 10, 2011 2:56 pm

Have you or Ryan seen the Doctor Who episode Blink? I figure English majors are just nerdy enough to know what that is. Anyway, that’s what those statues remind me of, and why I would slowly back out of the cemetery in fear.

7. March 10, 2011 3:23 pm

Ah, this all looks heavenly. I’m impressed you guys cooked dinner on vaca!

8. Ginger permalink
    March 10, 2011 4:43 pm

The perfect vacation! Beautiful scenery, long walks, good food and warm weather – how could it get better?

• March 10, 2011 6:08 pm

I have a hilarious answer for you for how it could get better– I’ll post the picture on your facebook wall.

9. March 10, 2011 5:41 pm

“Her mother must be so proud.” I think this too, of people like that…who are usually my own age. God I’m such a snob.

This vacation looks BEAUTIFUL. Jealous!

• March 10, 2011 6:08 pm

Hey, people like you restore my entire faith in millennials!! 🙂

10. March 10, 2011 8:25 pm

Key West is a totally interesting place to walk around. Glad you two are enjoying the sites 🙂 We stayed at a quieter resort for spring break, but downtown could get PRETTY nutty at night. What a delicious dinner.

11. Kelly permalink
    March 10, 2011 10:08 pm

I love taking long walks on vacation. It is so relaxing. I should do it more often in my every day life instead of only going on vacation.

12. March 10, 2011 10:23 pm

I adore your Key West pics, so many great memories from my visits! And the weather looks perfect compared to our rain today. Still jealous! 🙂

13. March 11, 2011 12:00 am

I love being able to be on vacation vicariously through you! Gorgeous pictures!!!! Enjoy the sun, sand and sights for me 😉

14. March 11, 2011 1:23 am

I’m jealous!

15. March 11, 2011 12:17 pm

You get to go to so many fun places, boy am I jealous! So Key West?? The scenery is gorgeous. I agree that on vacations sometimes the best thing to do it…walk! It’s like killing two birds with one stone; you get exercise, plus you get to see all the great scenery.

The scallops look wonderful. We’re having fresh caught sea scallops for dinner tonight, actually!

16. March 11, 2011 12:43 pm

Ahhh. What a lovely day. At least one of us is warm and relaxed. 🙂 And question: do you eat seafood? (I am just curious – I always eat seafood because I’m not a vegetarian… but considering your blog namesake… 🙂 just didn’t know how you felt about seafood!)

• March 11, 2011 2:16 pm

Haha, I was wondering if anyone was going to notice! I haven’t eaten seafood since becoming vegetarian, but that’s about to officially change– I’ll be writing a post about it when I get back!

17. greensandjeans permalink
    March 11, 2011 1:39 pm

Just when I was feeling good about the fact that the sun is shining and it’s supposed to be close to 50 degrees here in PA I have to go and read this… Jealousssss