Hit the Beach, Teach

March 8, 2011

Let us learn while we burrrrrrrrn.”

Right?

Hey guys! I’ve been pretty lazy in terms of taking pictures of the food we’ve enjoyed since we’ve been here.  We’ve had great home-cooked dinners on both Sunday night and last night, and some very tasty lunches out…but, alas, my camera has captured none of them!

In any case, I figured since I can’t show you what I’ve been eating, I’ll show you what we’ve been doing!

Yesterday, we spent the morning at a major Key West historical site: Hemingway’s house!

This house was amazing!! We took a guided tour and learned all about Hemingway’s life in Key West.  My favorite story?  Hemingway was out of town when his wife, Pauline (his second of four) decided to put a pool in the house:

The pool cost…$20,000.  Definitely not a small chunk of change.  When Hemingway came home and saw the pool (and the cost), he took a penny from his pocket and threw it down into the (still wet) cement by the pool, saying “Here, you’ve spent all the rest of my money—take my last cent.”  The penny is still there!

We also spent a lot of time admiring his six-toed cats:

You know what they say about cats with big paws…

And I longingly peeked in at his writing studio:

I need to get a house in Key West.  Obviously I could get a ton of writing done if I lived in a place like this.  🙂

Last night, after an afternoon of reading and napping, we headed back out to Mallory Square for sunset.  We missed sunset by just a few minutes (doh!), but we got there just in time to see the street performer acts starting up.

They ranged from pretty ridiculous, like this dog who was walking around collecting money and putting it in a bucket:

…to pretty amazing, like this guy.  He was juggling a fire torch, a knife, and a hatchet.  While on a unicycle.

DSC_0022 (4)   DSC_0026 (4)

Ummm….yeah.

After soaking in Mallory Square, we headed to Hemingway’s old haunt, Sloppy Joe’s, to enjoy a few drinks:

Another fun day and night!

Today, we’re headed out to seek out Bahia Honda, a beach that’s been named one of the top ten beaches in America! We’ll see…

Have a great Tuesday!

1. March 8, 2011 2:42 pm

I LOVE that story about the penny! Too cute! And that dog collecting money…well, let’s just say I want to teach Lily how to do that!

2. March 8, 2011 3:48 pm

Dude who cares about food photos…show me the beach! I gotta have SOMETHING to daydream to 😉

3. Cynthia permalink
    March 8, 2011 3:55 pm

Have a great time!! Can’t wait to see more sightseeing pics 🙂 BTW, cute shirt, where did you get it?

4. March 8, 2011 4:08 pm

At least we can dream about somewhere wonderful & WARM through your pics!! We saw all of Hemingway’s haunts last time we were in Cuba…pretty cool to re-trace some of his steps! Hope you enjoy the beach today. We’re freezing are arses off in Southwestern Ontario!!

5. March 8, 2011 4:09 pm

I love, love the picture of that beautiful house!

6. March 8, 2011 4:32 pm

The house looks beautiful and so inspiring! You look so refreshed! Have a great day Anna!

7. March 8, 2011 5:21 pm

I would love to tour Hemingway’s house. We have Mark Twain’s house here and I have to restrain myself from going there regularly.

8. March 8, 2011 5:53 pm

looks amazing! those cats are adorbs!

9. March 8, 2011 6:42 pm

Jealllloussssssss! My best friend used to go to Key West every summer and I always wanted to go after seeing her pictures. That writing studio is amazing! Oh, Hemingway, you crazy cat man.

10. March 8, 2011 7:02 pm

We loved Hemingway’s house and all the cats around it. We heard the penny story in 2004 as well. 😛 Ah, so many great memories from our trip there and it looks like you’re having a blast – so jealous. 🙂

11. Kelly permalink
    March 8, 2011 7:22 pm

Wow…that juggler is crazy! Seriously…crazy!

12. March 8, 2011 7:40 pm

I’ve been to Sloppy Joe’s, good times, good drinks!

13. March 8, 2011 9:35 pm

top beaches in america? I’d love to join you!

it all looks marvelous!!!

14. March 8, 2011 10:15 pm

Sound like you’re having a blast! The cat you are petting looks like my kitty…I had to do a double-take lol. Mine has a normal number of toes though 🙂

15. Ginger permalink
    March 9, 2011 12:04 am

Oh, wow! That looks like a great day! I would love to see Heminway’s house. I also loved the dog collecting money – we need to teach our dogs to do that (maybe put a little uniform on them, to make them look official) Anyway, have a wonderful time – Cute, cute pictures of both you and Ryan and John and Emily. Wish I were there!

16. March 9, 2011 1:05 am

Well, I’m just going to say I’m flat out jealous. So glad you guys are having a good time though!

17. March 9, 2011 1:14 am

Keep having a great time!

18. greensandjeans permalink
    March 9, 2011 1:38 am

Gorgeous pictures as always. Bring me back a tan please, I think I’m starting to scare people with how pale I am.

19. March 9, 2011 12:25 pm

Fun! I love the six toed cat and the money collecting dog. 🙂 Never know what you’re gonna find on vacation!

Trackbacks