Key West is For the Birds

March 6, 2011

Hi friends! Before I get to my current post, I must apologize for the cruelty of my last post…it wasn’t meant to be cruel to YOU!  Just to Altoona, ha. In any case, it has been a lonnnnng winter, so we are very happy to be soaking up the sun for a week here in Key West.  And hey—take heart in the fact that it will probably be snowing when we get back to Altoona next Saturday.

But let’s not think about that now.

Last night, our friends Jon and Emily got in around 7:00.  We promptly celebrated their arrival with the Key West version of…goombays!

Goombays are a traditional Bahamian beverage that are typically enjoyed during summers in the Caribbean.  In fact, I like them so much, I downed one right before Ryan and I got married:

GR0522090091

Mmmm…nothing like rum to ease the nerves!

Last night, we whipped up an approximation of a goombay.

It wasn’t the exact Bahamian recipe…but it was close enough to taste great!

After a long night of goombays, Mexican food, and wine, we crashed into bed around 11:30.  Gotta love being an old folk and still getting to be before midnight even on a “wild” night! 🙂

This morning, I woke up bright and early around 7:00 (again…old folk, right here) and headed out for a run.  I was really excited to explore the island by foot.  I covered about 6.5 miles, and got a better sense of the layout of the island.

And as for the rest of the day…we pretty much spent it here:

Ahhhh, pool.  We read by the pool all morning, came inside for some lunch and a nap, and then headed out for a walk to explore Key West a little more.  Ryan and I ended up walking for about 5 miles—it’s just so pretty here! Every time we’d think about turning back, we’d both say, “Oh, let’s just go a little bit further!”

We ran into a lot of friendly bird faces along our walk:

Birds crack me up. What goofballs.

Another goofball?  That would be moi, for thinking that I could get away with no sunscreen.

Yikes.  Duly noted—sunscreen not optional.  And if you’re wondering, let me just say—yes, my hair does react extraordinarily well to the salty ocean air. Lookingggggg good.

But it could be worse:

n13741169_37501638_6762

That guy (circa 2007)! What a goofball.

Some things never change.

Hope you had a great weekend!

1. March 6, 2011 11:11 pm

Oh, it looks like you’re having the best time! And I love that you’ll always think of your wedding when you drink a gombay.

2. March 7, 2011 1:02 am

YUM! Goombays sound awesome. Glad the weather is treating y’all well! And hooray for an awesome run in a beautiful local

3. March 7, 2011 12:58 pm

Is that you in the white dress? You look like a bride (except… “newlywed, newly veg”, you’re obviously already married)! But that dress is adorable. 🙂

4. Ginger permalink
    March 7, 2011 1:29 pm

Whoa – you got ALOT of sun!! I didn’t think you ever burned! That island looks beautiful! Of course, you know you come by your interest in birds quite naturally (I like to think of myself as a semi-professional ornithologist) Have you run into Dave Berry yet?

5. greensandjeans permalink
    March 7, 2011 1:46 pm

I ALWAYS burn. I think if I think about sunshine too hard I burn. Thanks Irish ancestors.

6. March 7, 2011 2:39 pm

Make music not enemies? LOVE that shirt! Ooooh and I didn’t realilze we are placemat twins! That’s exciting!!! ❤

Enjoyyyyy! You're totally making me miss home (Florida!) and I absolutely loooved visiting Key West the two times I went there — have buckets of fun! =)

7. March 7, 2011 2:43 pm

It looks like you guys are having a ton of fun! I am jealous of your sunny vacation, and your booze. Have a good time!

8. March 7, 2011 3:34 pm

Enjoy every second of that sun…with sunscreen please!

9. March 7, 2011 4:23 pm

I would MUCH rather have your sunburn than the 6+ inches of snow we got last night. Soak up some more for those of us who are stuck in Pennsylvania!

10. March 7, 2011 6:00 pm

I love how colourful and eclectic Key West is! We got more snow this weekend, so hopefully you will bring some sunshine north with you next weekend! Have a great vacation.

11. March 7, 2011 6:09 pm

All of these photos are just gorgeous! I especially love the turquoise one with the bird in the right-hand corner, but they’re all just so beautiful. They all make me want to visit Key West. Glad you’re having a wonderful time, and hope the vacation keeps getting better!

12. March 7, 2011 7:59 pm

Those drinks sound delicious!! What does the “real” one have in it?

My hair looks exactly the same in salty air. I always put a headband in and my hair curls up like a halo around it. CUTE.

13. March 7, 2011 9:51 pm

Funny on the pre-wedding drink, love it! Wow, a run around Key West would be amazing! Ouch on the sunburn, that always happens to me on beach vacations no matter how much lotion I cake on! So jealous, hope you’re having a blast!

14. March 8, 2011 1:40 am

Oh have fun in Key west! Jealous 🙂 I love key west!!!

15. March 8, 2011 2:46 am

Gorgeous pictures….I was meant to live poolside, I’m convinced.

I love that dress on you and is it creepy if I say I want to run my fingers through his hair–I love it!!

16. March 8, 2011 5:41 am

ouchies! i get superburned too

im glad you had a great weekend!

17. JenATX permalink
    March 9, 2011 3:19 am

more pictures please! i just love the beach 🙂 this is getting me excited to our trip to Hawaii this summer

18. March 9, 2011 4:45 pm

That third photo of the bird is incredible!! Gorgeous.
    Looks like you’re having an amazing time!
    -Lisa