Put the Lime in the Cookie

February 12, 2011

…and you eat ‘em all up.

Hi friends! Our week has wrapped up nicely—last night, we paid a visit to Friendly’s for ice cream sundaes, so, you know…not much to complain about here!

Actually, that’s not exactly true.  I can always find something to complain about…and right now, it’s the weather.  Talk about crummy! The sun has actually been out in full-force, but the WIND makes it impossible to enjoy! Our house has been moaning and the windows have been all-out rattling—it seriously feels like we might blow away!

Because of this, when I got the urge to bake this morning (yes, I do have a full batch of papers that need to be graded by Tuesday…why do you ask?), all of the recipes that caught my eye had one thing in common: they all reminded me of warm weather!!!

We have a trip planned to Key West with friends for spring break, which is in a little less than a month, and honestly—it can’t come soon enough!!! I’m so ready to be relaxing at the pool, basking in the sun, preferably with a tropical drink in hand.

Nothing says Key West more than limes, right?  I found Martha Stewart’s recipe for Lime Cornmeal Glazed Cookies, and I knew it was a go.

I changed the recipe a bit—hers involved forming balls with the dough and then flattening the balls with drinking glasses.  But, because Valentine’s Day is upon us, I decided to roll my dough out and make heart-shaped cookies to show my husband how excited I am to celebrate Valentine’s Day in a few days.

Okay, that’s a total lie.  This morning, when Ryan told me that he was going shopping for my Valentine’s Day present, my response was, “Oh CRAP!!! Are we doing gifts this year?!  Wait, when is it?  It’s Wednesday, right?  It’s MONDAY?!?  Valentine’s Day is on MONDAY?!?”

Yeah…time roll out the ol’ homemade coupon book.

Or maybe I’ll just make another batch of these cookies.  If you’re a lime lover (like my husband), you’d love these—they’re tart but sweet, with an interesting texture because of the cornmeal.  Word to the wise—the glaze doesn’t quite harden—mine was more like a syrup.  But, they’re delicious nonetheless.

Here are some pictures from my baking adventures:

DSC_0006 (212) DSC_0017 (121)

And, after the glaze:

These would go great with a glass of milk.  Or a margarita.  Is it spring break yet?

1. February 12, 2011 11:29 pm

Anna, these photos are STUPENDOUS. Seriously.

2. February 13, 2011 1:55 am

“Or a margarita. Is it spring break yet? ”

to that end, it’s always after 12 noon somewhere. i.e. okay to start having a few 🙂

3. February 13, 2011 6:57 am

Your cookies turned out so cute!

4. Emo permalink
    February 13, 2011 3:29 pm

I, too, made lime cookies recently in anticipation of our trip! Mine were lime-coconut cookies from Betty Crocker. Pretty easy: add coconut and grated lime to sugar cookie mix, and dust with powdered sugar when they’re cool. Seriously — is it spring break yet?

5. February 13, 2011 4:23 pm

Sorry about your weather, we had a ton of wind last week and it’s no fun! But totally awesome about going to Key West, that’s one of my favorite places to visit! Hehe, Valentine’s day has been a last minute thing for me too, I still need to shop today! 😛 The cookies look great.

6. greensandjeans permalink
    February 13, 2011 5:14 pm

I have to agree on the photo comment. I’d totally hang these pictures on my wall and drool every time I walked by them.

7. JenATX permalink
    February 13, 2011 6:19 pm

Pics are gorgeous Anna! Isteheran first one a bunch of lime zest? Oh, & I can’t wait to see
    some beach pictures from Key West.

8. February 13, 2011 6:47 pm

Gorgeous pictures and cookies. I think a margarita would be great but a mojito would be even better! I love alcohol with dessert and am clearly thinking alcohol before 11:00 AM!

9. February 13, 2011 7:51 pm

awww! They turned out so cute and I bet they’re incredible! Josh is a huge lime fan so I’m always looking for lime recipes. Key West is so much fun! I went there for spring break my senior year at PSU 🙂

10. February 13, 2011 9:44 pm

Yum, these look great!

I might have to give them a go!

11. February 14, 2011 12:34 am

Oh girl, you have just won my heart! These little gems look freaking amazing and I can’t wait to sink my teeth into some 🙂 I may need a ‘rita to go with them too 😉

xxoo

12. February 14, 2011 12:46 am

Pretty cookies!

I agree with the margarita. It was almost 70 degrees out today and I found myself really wanting one. And I don’t even really like them! I do like cookies though.

13. February 14, 2011 12:56 am

Beautiful photos!!! And these combo sounds wonderful, I love lime!!

14. February 14, 2011 5:47 am

Those sound delish and look gorgeous!

15. February 14, 2011 11:36 am

LOL at homemade coupon book! Those are always a safe bet, especially with my parents who ALWAYS cashed them in!

The cookies look amazing! Ryan should be one happy guy 🙂 Happy Valentine’s Day!

16. February 14, 2011 1:23 pm

Haha, yeah, a margarita would go perfectly with these cookies! Or, just a shot of good tequila 🙂
    It’s really windy here too, and I’m about to get on my bike and peddle to work, yikes.

Happy Valentine’s Day to you!

• February 14, 2011 1:33 pm

Oh my gosh, good luck– it is SUPER windy here this morning! I woke up early because our house was shaking!

17. February 14, 2011 3:21 pm

I am so with you. I want Spring here NOW! The cookies look perfect. My husband would go nuts over them. I hope you have a great day today!

18. February 14, 2011 8:52 pm

There is a similar vegan cookie that I love from Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar, called citrus glitters. So tasty!! Your cookies turned out beautifully!