If At First You Don’t Succeed…Roast, Roast Again

January 31, 2011

So, you know how in my earlier post, I explained how the vegetables were a little disappointing at our dinner party last night?  To explain again, they were just kind of…meh.  I had to crowd the roasting pan, so they ended up getting steamed rather than roasted.  Plus, the potatoes and the parsnips were still undercooked.  In all, I was pretty disappointed with the way they turned out.

Well, for dinner tonight, I decided to give them another go.  This time, I spread them very evenly on baking sheets, making sure to give each veggie enough room to breathe roast:

And, whaddya know…they turned out perfect! I guess you really do have to pay attention to things like cooking method.  These veggies were capital D Delicious—crispy on the outside, with nice, sweet caramelization going on and a soft, pillowy interior.

We served ours with tamari-roasted chickpeas and goat cheese, all over field greens and topped with balsamic dressing.

This meal was great…but I only wish the veggies had been this good LAST night!!!  Casey, Rachael, Nick, Emily, Nick, and Marcy—if ANY of you are reading this, I promise—the next time we have you over, I’ll serve you roasted veggies that are done up RIGHT! 🙂

Oh well.  The chocolate tart, not surprisingly, was equally delicious tonight:

Mmmmm…perfect end for a Sunday night supper!

Oh! Before I sign off for the night, you’ll be happy to know—progress is being made on the room! We finished the sanding this morning:

Got a coat of stain on by early afternoon:

And are about to head upstairs to do the second coat! It’s really coming along now…

Goodnight!

1. January 31, 2011 2:12 am

ahhh gorgeousness! the food AND the floors!

2. January 31, 2011 2:27 am

Glad the veggies turned out well this time, and the floor is looking great!

3. January 31, 2011 2:41 am

the floors look amazing, great work!

so does that choco torte 🙂

“crispy on the outside, with nice, sweet caramelization going on and a soft, pillowy interior. “–if there could be a perfect description of roasted veggies, you have succeeded. I want to race out and roast. With enough breathing room!

4. thehungryscholar permalink
    January 31, 2011 3:03 am

I love roasting veggies.

Good job on the floors!

5. January 31, 2011 3:41 am

Yum roasted potatoes are one of my fav foods. Combining that with goat cheese = amazing.

6. January 31, 2011 4:03 am

I always stack veggies on the silpat and get very even cooking because of the PBS convection-like cooking. You should be able to, as well. I’ll send you my tips and a picture.

7. January 31, 2011 5:04 am

The roasted veggies look great, like a total success. 🙂

And the room is looking awesome, you two are so fast! That would have taken us weeks. 😛

8. January 31, 2011 5:05 am

Roasted veggies can be so delicious it’s hard for me to believe that some people don’t like veggies- they just haven’t had them prepared well!

Great job on the room- it looks great!

9. actorsdiet permalink
    January 31, 2011 6:14 am

ah that’s a gorgeous floor – the veggies are beautiful too!

10. January 31, 2011 1:42 pm

Those taters look especially delicious! And love the stain on the floor.

11. January 31, 2011 1:46 pm

I love love love roasted veggies on salads. So good. And those floors are looking fantastic. I have some floors that need to be redone – got some free time to come over????

• January 31, 2011 7:15 pm

Ha, sure! Will you pay me in stew and sweet potato fries?! 😉

12. January 31, 2011 2:12 pm

WOW! The room is really coming along- how exciting!! I love me some roasted veggies- especially parsnips. Glad your second roasting experience turned out much better! The salad looks fantastic

13. January 31, 2011 3:01 pm

The veggies look perfect! I hate when I make something wrong for my guests. It irritates me when I know I should have done it a different way and they just aren’t what I was looking for. The floors look beautiful!

14. January 31, 2011 3:05 pm

Gotta love some roasted veg! The room is gorgeous-nice work on those floors!

15. January 31, 2011 4:19 pm

Nothing tops roasted veggies in my book!