Go Sell Crazy Some Place Else

January 28, 2011

…because we are definitely all stocked up here.

Ummmm…last night, I kind of lost my mind.

Well, to fully tell the story of the craziness that has taken over here, let me back up to yesterday morning.  I was running on our treadmill—right when we moved into the house last year, we found a treadmill at a neighborhood garage sale for about 75 bucks.  Score! We bought the treadmill and converted one of the room on our second floor to a makeshift workout room.  The treadmill proved to be a very wise purchase—on snowy days when I don’t feel like trucking up to the gym, I can pound out a good workout all within the comfort of our own home! We also have the room stocked with workout dvds, an old tv that we dragged to PA from Indiana, and free weights, resistance bands, etc.

Sounds great, right?

It is great…kind of.  The only problem is that the room is kind of…well, ugly.  The floor is a blue carpeted mat that the previous owners laid down (it isn’t even attached to the floor), and the walls are blah beige.  Plus, the room is seriously disorganized—dvd’s and magazines on the floor, yoga mats piled up on top of each other…it’s just a mess!

So, basically, as I was running, I was thinking to myself, “This room is in SERIOUS need of a makeover.”  And then I kind of started thinking about all of the things we could do—fresh paint, mounted tv, bright colors, wood floors…oh my!!!!

This is the kind of person that I am: when I get it into my head that I want to do a project, I want to do the project NOW! I shared my room vision with Ryan, who suggested working on it for a February project.  Logical, right?

I wasn’t feeling logical.  And so, last night after dinner, I headed up to the room and started…pulling up the carpet! I just got it into my head that I wanted to DO it…and so, that’s what I did. After a little resistance, Ryan joined in, and now we’re fully immersed in a home redecoration project.  Crazytown over here!

Here are some pictures of the room, before:

Last night, we started by removing the blue carpet, which lead us to:

The UGLIEST linoleum flooring you have EVER seen!

Under the linoleum, we found a layer of newspapers…from 1965!:

Isn’t this crazy?  I kind of got sidetracked taking pictures from the old newspapers:

Pretty cool, I think!

Finally, under the papers were what we’d been looking for: our hardwood floors! Unfortunately, the floors were covered in paint splatters, which is where the sander will come in (oh yes).

Our work for the night was done…but, we woke up bright and early this morning, ready to work again! I sent Ryan to Home Depot for white paint, and spent about three hours this morning painting the room (in my pj’s).

By the time I had to get in the shower to meet a student up at campus, the room was already looking 100 times better:

Good start, right?!  My idea is that I’d like to paint the baseboards and some of the woodwork a bright color for some fun—maybe a bright green?

But, up next are the floors.  We rented a floor sander from a local hardware shop, and are going to attack the floors this afternoon.

Did I mention that we’re having a dinner party tomorrow night?

Yeah…definitely alllllll stocked up on crazy here.

Lunch, for what it’s worth, was simple:

This mixture is 1 cup of Fage yogurt, 1/2 cup chickpeas and 1/2 cup chunky salsa, topped with roasted, salted sunflower seeds.  Kind of strange, but yummy, easy, and full of protein!

Okay…ummmm, wish me luck? I’ll keep posting pictures as the room progresses!

1. January 28, 2011 7:38 pm

I LOVE that you found those old newspapers–so neat! Impressive that you got so much done so fast.

2. January 28, 2011 7:38 pm

Wow! When you remodel, you remodel with fist 😉 The room looks awesome! I’m amazing at how much work you did in less than 24 hours! Can’t wait to see the end result!

3. January 28, 2011 7:49 pm

I can’t believe someone covered hard wood with that linoleum. Bright green would be such a fun color- my bathroom at home is lime green and I love it!

4. January 28, 2011 7:49 pm

LOL – girl I do the SAME thing. Once I decided I had to strip the wallpaper in the bathroom at our previous condo. And that meant right then, right there. Jason kept saying no (over the phone)…uh huh, sure dear. And of course I should have listened, a week later we finally were able to paint. Did I learn my lesson, of course not. The room is looking really great though I must say. Kudos to you!

5. January 28, 2011 8:01 pm

haha I’m exactly the same way- once I come up with an idea, it has to be done immediately! The room is looking good!

6. January 28, 2011 8:10 pm

I am loving the newspapers underneath, that is awesome!!!!
    Good luck finishing the room 🙂

7. January 28, 2011 8:26 pm

Who does this in a day? Crazy
    I love that the newspaper advertises TV as being “in color” and that they worried the Beatles might be a passing fancy

• January 28, 2011 8:40 pm

Yes! I thought that was hilarious!

Sent from my iPhone

8. emartinodonnell permalink
    January 28, 2011 9:21 pm

I totally get nutty like this too when an idea pops into my head… my husband is a little less likely to go with the flow though 🙂

9. January 28, 2011 9:38 pm

Oh goodness! You got a lot done in a short amount of time! Looks great.

10. January 28, 2011 9:49 pm

Wow! That’s a crazy find but pretty AMAZING too!!!!
    The room is looking great!

11. January 28, 2011 9:50 pm

oh wow! My hubs and I would have to read every page of the papers! so fun!

Can’t wait to see the finished room! ❤ Happy Friday!

12. January 28, 2011 10:30 pm

I am the same way about projects, I always want to start right away. Crazy find on the newspaper! The room is looking wonderful, you two are fast! Great lunch and good luck with the dinner party and finishing the project. Can’t wait to hear about it!

13. January 28, 2011 10:56 pm

i want to paint my room!!!

14. January 29, 2011 2:01 am

Nice hardwoods hiding under there. It’s funny that it was the style to cover them up. Jason was replacing a light fixture and found an old record between the light and the ceiling. Random.

15. January 29, 2011 2:35 am

Hardwood floors look great in the pictures< I wish you the best of luck with everything. I know how tiring and hard that is, me and BF re-did our floors – we tore up all the carpet and put down cork and bamboo flooring. Long days but so worth it in the end 🙂

16. January 29, 2011 3:32 am

You crazy lady! I love it! I hope you show it off to us tomorrow night.

17. January 29, 2011 2:43 pm

I am the same way….it has to be NOW!
    That’s crazy you found those newspapers, a fun bit of history. The room looks so much better already, I can’t wait to see it when it’s done!

18. Kelly permalink
    January 29, 2011 4:13 pm

I am insanely jealous that you have hardwood floors…we are about to spend a lot of money for that in our house. But your renovations look fabulous! You are such a go getter!!

19. January 29, 2011 8:04 pm

WHAT a project and how amazing that you just DID IT!! and i love what you did!

and why on earth would people put lineoleum and carpet over hardwood…that’s one thing about the 1950s and 70s that i do not get 🙂 what were they thinking.

beautiful work!

20. greensandjeans permalink
    January 30, 2011 12:24 am

You are amazing. And the Beatles were totally just a passing fancy (best phrase ever by the way)

21. January 30, 2011 5:04 am

That sounds like an awesome project to me! I can’t believe people used to cover up wood floors. The room does already look 10 x’s better. What a fun lunch combo- I totally want to try it!

22. January 30, 2011 5:15 am

Wow hahahaha, that is awesome about the newspapers! I am a history buff so I think thats pretty cool and it looks like you’ve made a lot of progress so far!

I’m the same way about projects, I get so excited and want to start them immediately.

23. February 2, 2011 5:36 pm

I LOVE those newspaper clippings! So so cool. Bet the people who laid them out didn’t even consider what that people in the future would think when they tore up their precious linoleum. 😉
    -Lisa

24. February 7, 2012 5:42 am

I had an ugly room and maybe what worked for me will work for you.
    Paint it powder blue. Paint the light and light switch a darker shade of blue.
    Add about seven plants and a comfy chair. I haven’t done this part yet but incorporate some wood grain and a nifty retro light on a sideboard.
    Then add a good radio and a grow light and along with the exercise equipment you have a super multi-functional room with aesthtic appeal.

C

Trackbacks

1. Big Shrimpin’ « Newlywed, Newly Veg!