Get ‘Em to the Greek

January 24, 2011

Hi friends! We arrived back in Altoona around 6:00 yesterday evening—our trip to Philly was short, but sweet! The Barnes exhibit was *amazing*—if you’re ever in the Philadelphia area, I would highly recommend it!  After viewing the exhibit, we headed back downtown to the Reading Market—a huge building with TONS of restaurants, gourmet food stalls, and much more! It reminded me a little bit of the market we visited in Florence…except that it was much easier to communicate with the vendors!

On Saturday night, we had an amazing dining experience at Kanella, a Greek restaurant in Philly—well, it’s actually Cypriatic if you want to get technical.  :-)

Kanella has been called one of the best restaurants in Philadelphia by several sources, and I think it’s a worthy title—our meal was amazing!

I started with this roasted eggplant salad—the eggplant was like butter.  It also had sweet red onions, kalamata olives, and whole garlic cloves, all mellow from roasting in olive oil.  It was an awesome dish:

Yum!

For my entree, I chose the vegetarian stuffed vegetable—the vegetable of the night was a bell pepper.  The bell pepper was stuffed with a delicious, toasted pilaf that included tangy feta, sweet roasted grapes, and even more veggies.  A side of crisp, fried veggie slivers was served on the side.

After our amazing starters and entrees, we knew that we had to get dessert.  There were four of us dining, and we ordered three to split—that’s called moderation, right?

Lemon Tart Brulee:

Sticky date and chocolate cake with vanilla ice cream:

…and my birthday choice, a creamy, homemade custard topped with crisp phyllo:

Uh. May.  Zing.

And, because there just really is no such thing as “too much sweets,” last night, when we returned home, we promptly headed out the door again to our friends’ Casey and Rachael, who had invited us over for a wine and dessert get-together.  Rachael has made two amazing desserts—a platter of brownies:

…and this delicious hazelnut torte, which was SO dense and delicious!

Whew! I think all of this heavy eating has finally got up with me—my stomach has been on the fritz this morning.  Lunch and dinner will probably be pretty bland—but the amazing eats we had this weekend were definitely worth it!

Hope you had a great weekend and your Monday is off to a good start!

1. January 24, 2011 3:08 pm

Reading market is so cool, isn’t it?! Glad you had a great weekend! We were also traveling this weekend and I woke up with a yucky tummy too!! I feel like I’m in desperate need of just raw, fresh veggies and tons of ginger. I’m actually just pulling it together to get myself to work…better late than never, right? 🙂

2. January 24, 2011 3:09 pm

Wow that looks crazy good! Love raw veggies-esp when they offer them at a restaurant!

3. January 24, 2011 3:13 pm

That eggplant starter…yeah, I want to bathe in that! YUM! I am so glad you had a great trip!

4. January 24, 2011 3:25 pm

That meal just look so absolutely amazing! Maybe I need an early lunch…

5. January 24, 2011 3:42 pm

Holy dessert! That hazelnut torte looks amazing.

6. January 24, 2011 3:51 pm

The Reading Market is pretty cool. Found an all vegetarian counter there for late breakfast – soooo good. Dinner looks fantastic!

• January 24, 2011 4:36 pm

That must have been where we ate lunch! I got no chicken chicken salad and tuna salad made from carrot pulp! It was great!

7. January 24, 2011 3:52 pm

That restaurant looks so fun! My mom and I were just talking about stuffed peppers last night over dinner… I want one!

8. January 24, 2011 4:23 pm

Greek food is my favorite! Those desserts look awesome 🙂 So glad you had a great trip!

9. January 24, 2011 6:15 pm

I love eggplant anything. That looks so good! And I loved your intro to your Philly post – Anthropologie and Unitarians – hilarious!

10. January 24, 2011 7:22 pm

Lemon Tart Brulee!? Holy moly does that sound out of this world!!! Glad you had a great trip!

11. erin permalink
    January 24, 2011 8:16 pm

i don’t want this to sound creepy (and of course, prefacing with that statement helps so much…), but my friend sent this to me and i thought you might enjoy it. happy birthday!

• January 24, 2011 10:12 pm

Ha– it’s either sad, or hilarious, or both, that you are the SECOND blog reader in one week to send this to me. I love it– spot on!!!

• erin permalink
        January 25, 2011 1:43 pm

🙂 so funny. it was just weird to read something and think “hey, i think i know of someone i’ve never met who might enjoy this!” now if they could just do a where are they now of nancy drew and her friends…

12. January 24, 2011 9:13 pm

holy desserts! i think i just died and went to dessert heaven 🙂
    the choc, the custard-ey one, oh wow! 🙂

13. January 24, 2011 10:26 pm

Wow, the Greek eats look divine, especially the salad – yum! And lots of sweets, nice! But I’d probably need a little detox after all that. 😛 Looks like it was a great weekend.

14. January 24, 2011 10:41 pm

Check out my FB page for an interesting article on fruits and veggies today.

15. January 24, 2011 10:45 pm

I’m not sure how I’ve never even HEARD of Kanella, but it sounds absolutely mouthwatering, the date and chocolate cake especially. I love the amount of dessert in this post 🙂

16. Ginger permalink
    January 24, 2011 11:26 pm

Well, we made it home, too. Reading your blog makes me want to go back! Great trip with great food and great fellow travelers. Thanks for a fun weekend!

17. January 25, 2011 12:20 am

mmmm what a delicious post. That restaurant looks fabulous. I’d personally like to try the eggplant dish!!

18. January 25, 2011 2:49 am

okay, how did I miss that you live in Altoona??? That is where my dad’s side of the family is from, we used to go there all the time growing up. But sadly no family left anymore to visit 😦 But now I know you are there 🙂

• January 25, 2011 2:59 pm

Too funny! I wish you still had family here!

19. January 25, 2011 2:56 am

I want to go to The Reading Market–sounds fun, I could spend hours there I am sure!

Those eats look fantabulous. I was going to say your steak looks good but then I had to remember what blog I was on and read it was a pepper 🙂 I love creative dishes like that.

No matter how hard I try, I can never make eggplant taste as good as it does in restaurants.

• January 25, 2011 2:59 pm

Yes– it’s definitely the type of place that you could spend hours in!!

20. January 25, 2011 3:37 am

I just found your blog and wanted to say I’m really enjoying it so far! The title “Newly Wed, Newly Veg” really intrigues me because I am also a newlywed, went veg about a month before the wedding (and husband eats meat…often), and I’m living in Pennsylvania, too! OK, it’s Pittsburgh, but that’s not far?

P.S. LOVED the Saved by the Bell reference a few days ago 🙂

• January 25, 2011 2:58 pm

Thanks for commenting, Julie!!! We DO have a lot in common!