Take It Outside

January 17, 2011

Hi friends! Well, when last we talked, I was debating between going to the gym or sucking it up and going outside for a run.

Well…I sucked it up!

Last winter, I don’t think I ran outside a single time from mid-November to March. It was our first winter in Pennsylvania, and the snows just kind of shocked me.  I felt really unsteady just walking the dogs on our snowy, icy sidewalks, so the idea of running on them was basically not even a consideration.

But, this year…I feel better prepared.  I bought some yak trax to attach to my shoes—have you seen these?  They’re basically traction cleats that you strap onto your shoes to give them much better grip on snow and ice.  I’ve been using them to walk the dogs, and I love them!

I also bought some warm weather gear—winter running pants (I still need some tights), some Under Armour layering shirts, and a lightweight fleece jacket for the top layer.  With these new layering clothes, I was able to put on three layers of clothing that kept me warm, but still felt light.  After about the first ten minutes of my run, I felt nice and toasty!

I did four and a half miles, then swung back by the house and picked up the dogs for another mile of walking.  There were a few sidewalks that hadn’t been cleared, and running on the few snowy parts was a little unnerving—I kind of felt like if I landed wrong, I might twist an ankle—but for the most part, the run was great.  I think it really does me a world of good just to get *outside*—the gym is great, but it can feel kind of stifling.  It was good to feel the (COLD!!!!) winter air on my face!

When I returned home, it was time for lunch:

This pita had a big pile of carrots and mushrooms, plus swiss cheese and sprouts.  It kept refusing to stay closed, which made me feel like it was a giant pita mouth, trying to relay some message to me:

What’s that you say, Pita?  Please don’t eat me?

Sorry, Pal.  🙂

I also had some yogurt on the side.  Oikos is okay, but Fage is definitely my number one love.

See you at dinner (with a fun little announcement to make!).

Do you run/workout outside in the winter months?  I really want to make an effort to try to do at least a few runs outside a week this winter…but it’s hard when it’s only 22 degrees out!

1. January 17, 2011 8:13 pm

Good for you! I haven’t run outside since my half in November, haha woops! I need to just suck it up.

2. January 17, 2011 8:16 pm

I do love to workout outside…and even if it’s 0 or 110F, I prefer outside. Being in the elements makes me feel like i really pushed myself and to me, i’d rather take 15 mins outside than an hour inside, any day. But that’s just me.

Your workout gear sounds great!

3. Tess permalink
    January 17, 2011 8:24 pm

I workout inside, half stair-stepping, half walking. But that’s only since winter hit– Indiana is colder than California! I am completely not-even-slightly-shocked that you couldn’t take it indoors anymore, though. That is the Anna we know and love.

• January 17, 2011 8:36 pm

Yep, I remember when we lived in Indiana– you walked ALL THE TIME!!! Even when it was freezing out, ha! 🙂

4. January 17, 2011 8:27 pm

Brave soul for running outside!! I’ll do it if it’s cold (as long as it’s not TOO cold), but snow and me don’t mix. I’m terrified of slipping and falling!!

5. January 17, 2011 8:28 pm

Good job getting outside. I definitely prefer running outside just about any single day over the treadmill. So far I’ve run with wind chills in the 20’s and was much happier than indoors. Having the right gear makes all the difference.

6. January 17, 2011 9:10 pm

I completely agree with getting outside. I hate working out outside in the winter, but we went hiking this weekend and it felt great even trudging through the ice and snow.

7. January 17, 2011 9:12 pm

I’m a Chobani girl.. I’ll have to give fage a try though! I’m new to greek yogurt but I loooove it 100x more than reg yogurt. The thickness tricks me into thinking i’m eating a lovely cup of ice cream!

xoXOxo
    Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

8. January 17, 2011 9:13 pm

Ever since I got runner’s tights, I’ve loved outdoor workouts. It was 10 degrees today and it felt completely reasonable to run in with all the layers.

9. January 17, 2011 11:12 pm

If I lived somewhere warmer, I’d definitely run outside all winter. I’m not one to love the cold weather! Good for you getting out there and running!

10. January 17, 2011 11:30 pm

Nice job on the outdoor run- something I haven’t done since my last race on Thanksgiving weekend… oops!

11. January 17, 2011 11:46 pm

Good for you for getting out there! Winter running is so invigorating!

12. January 18, 2011 12:30 am

I do run outside, but our streets are still REALLY icy. I can’t wait to get back out there, though!

13. January 18, 2011 1:17 am

Good for you for braving the elements! It can be so hard to get out there but is always worth it.

14. January 18, 2011 1:29 am

I love working out in the cold but unfortunately, my knee doesnt want to let me run again so I rejoined the Y so I can keep up with my cardio.

Glad to see someone else isn’t a huge fan of the Oikos. I love Chobani and Oikos just didnt do it for me, I can’t describe why I didnt fall in love with it but just didn’t like it.

15. greensandjeans permalink
    January 18, 2011 1:29 am

Good on ya for getting outside! Having the right gear seriously makes ALL the difference in the world!

16. JenATX permalink
    January 18, 2011 1:44 am

good job dude! 22 is cold! I do remember last winter you talked about the winter blues & so I definitely think getting outside & having such a good attitude will help you avoid that 🙂

17. January 18, 2011 1:46 am

Awesome job on the run, you’re a trooper! There is something crisp and refreshing about running in the cold and you’re extreme doing it in snow! Lunch looks great. I am running in the cold a lot more this winter and love it too.

18. January 18, 2011 12:12 pm

Yumm! That pita looks so delicious!!!!

Jen

19. Ginger permalink
    January 18, 2011 3:06 pm

Good job running outside! I’m so glad that the Yaktrax are working for you. I definitely think getting out and even walking for several miles is good for the mood. I sometimes think it’s the only thing that keeps me sane sometimes!

20. January 18, 2011 8:04 pm

I love going for walks outside no matter what the weather, but I find I can’t run outside unless it’s nice and warm. Good for you for getting out there!

21. January 19, 2011 12:26 am

Great job. I am such a wimp about running in the cold.

22. January 19, 2011 1:13 pm

Getting outside in the winter is such a challenge in Boston! The cold is less a problem that the messy sidewalks these days. Ugh. Congrats on motivating to take it outside. I actually feel really refreshed after a nice, chilly run – but I realize that sounds totally nuts!