Heckuva Weekend

January 17, 2011

Hi friends! Long time, no blog!  We had a great weekend—lots of relaxing time with friends, and some fun meals thrown into the mix too!

On Saturday night, we experimented with Lori and Michelle’s Socca recipe, something I’ve been wanting to try for a long time.  Have you ever tried (or heard of) socca?  It’s French, and it’s basically a warm flatbread made from chickpea flour.  Lori and Michelle are socca fanatics, and all of their socca recipes look amazing.  We went with a classic recipe for the first go round:

The socca here is 1 cup chickpea flour, 1.5 cups water, 2 tbsp. olive oil, plus salt for seasoning.  Traditionally, socca is served hot with lots of cracked ground pepper, but we served ours topped with onions and kale instead!

Mmmmmm…now I see why Lori and Michelle love this! Socca is so easy to make—you just whisk together the ingredients to make a thin batter, pour into a cast iron skillet, and bake at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes, until it’s hot and crisp! Yum!

On Sunday, we headed up to State College for a fun, summer-themed lunch at our friends’ Rob and Danielle’s house.  Rob and Danielle had gone all out—they had leis waiting for us upon arrival:

DSC_0012 (136) DSC_0008 (173)

…and summer drinks:

…and even a surfing documentary playing in the background:

Cute! We also had an assortment of summery foods to chow down on: veggie burgers, smart pups, sweet potato fries, a delicious Hawaiian cabbage slaw that Danielle had made, plus a green salad:

It was like we were at a summer barbeque (except for the mounds of snow outside…but hey, if we squinted our eyes, it kind of just looked like sand).

For dessert, Danielle had a guava and banana pie from a traditional Hawaiian cookbook:

This was really good!  Not overly sweet, and a great combo of flavors.  We also enjoyed fresh berries and pineapple.  Yum!

After our fun lunch with Rob and Danielle, we returned home to Altoona…and met up with friends again! This time, we were the hosts—our friends Casey and Rachael came over to watch the Golden Globes with us.  Watching awards shows is always more fun with friends.  :-)  While we were watching, we enjoyed cheese, crackers, homemade bread courtesy of Ryan the baker, and delicious brownies that Rachael made.  Oh, and wine.  Lots of wine.

And so, I’m starting off this morning with a green monster.  A gym session is soon to follow…or I might suck it up and run outside?  I got some yak trax for my birthday, and I’m eager to try them out! I’ve been walking the dogs with them, and they make a HUGE difference in not slipping on the icy sidewalks.

See you for lunch, friends! Hope you had a fun weekend as well!

1. January 17, 2011 2:28 pm

What a fun lunch! I love the idea of bringing a little bit of summer fun to January. 😀

2. January 17, 2011 2:31 pm

Summer themed lunch in the winter? Excellent idea!

3. January 17, 2011 2:47 pm

How fun on the Hawaiian themed party this time of year. Love it! Sounds like you had a great time. I’ve never heard of socca, but sounds great.

4. January 17, 2011 2:48 pm

I still have yet to try socca!! I’ve heard great things, sounds yum:)

Slash a summer-themed party is genius, maybe that will warm me up?!

• January 17, 2011 2:49 pm

It was really yummy, and so easy! You should definitely give it a try!

5. January 17, 2011 2:58 pm

I’m with you on the Green Monster + workout thing. Yesterday morning I woke up and said to myself : eat something HEALTHY! 🙂 And I too have been debating running outside… but ohhh it’s so dang cold! I don’t think I can do it.

6. January 17, 2011 3:19 pm

That is a great way to break out of the winter funk! A summer party in the middle of the cold! I LOVE socca! I use that flour for my savory waffles and it is so good! Have a great day Anna!

7. January 17, 2011 3:43 pm

I love that idea for a party! How perfect for this time of year.

8. January 17, 2011 4:06 pm

How fun! I love the idea of a summer themed party in the middle of winter. It looks very festive too (love the surfer in the background) I am intrigued by that dessert, it sounds funky. But then again, it sounds so funky it sounds amazing too.

9. January 17, 2011 4:18 pm

Yes, I’ve tried socca many times and really like it, my favorite was a lemon dill flavor I tried.

What an awesome lunch theme, you go to all the fun parties. 🙂

10. January 17, 2011 4:41 pm

Love the break out of the winter slump with summer food idea-genius…and would def make me feel a little better about the negative temps we’ve got going on over here!

11. January 17, 2011 4:42 pm

Oh my! That guava and banana pie sounds amazing!!! I love guava…when I’m in the carribean I eat that crap out of the stuff!!!! I wish I could’ve watched the Golden Globes…I regret not receording them! DUMB!!

12. January 17, 2011 6:28 pm

How much flipping fun! I miss summer! Yesterday was unusually warm and sunny so my husband and I grilled out on the back deck and ate lunch picnic style outside… so awesome! Now i’m ready for the real thing!

xoXOxo
    Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

13. January 17, 2011 6:33 pm

Glad you had such a nice weekend 🙂 I haven’t cooked or baked with chickpea flour, but I really want to try! The summer party is SUCH a great idea in the middle of winter. And that guava and banana pie looks out of this world. ENjoy your day

14. January 17, 2011 7:24 pm

that guava and banana pie is screaming my name…it sounds delicious!

15. January 17, 2011 7:27 pm

Ive been wanting to try socca. It sounds semi-easy and 100% delicious!

• January 17, 2011 7:40 pm

It isn’t even semi-easy– it’s just plain easy!

16. January 18, 2011 4:08 am

um, have we tried socca?? haha so glad you liked it!!!!