Let That Freak Flag Fly

January 13, 2011

In just a bit, I’m headed up to campus to teach my second day of classes.

On the first day of class, I always have the students engage in a little meet-and-greet where they share some info about themselves with a partner, and then introduce their partner to the class.  On Tuesday, I asked them to share their hometown and their major.  I also asked them to complete this sentence: The ___________ that I’m embarrassed to like is ___________.  Nothing brings a class together and really creates lasting bonds like immediately airing shameful, embarrassing facts about oneself.

I told them they could choose anything—tv shows, songs, movies, people, food.  Many students went with tv shows—there are a lot of 19 year-olds still watching Sponge Bob, if you’re curious.  I had one of my male students confess to a love of Gilmore Girls, at which point I literally jumped in the air and clapped my hands and squealed, “I want Lorelei Gilmore to be MY mom!!!!”  Cue awkward silence.

I also had several male students confess to a love of the Twilight movies, which didn’t really surprise me.  I had a few male students confess to a love of the Twilight books, which surprised me only because it meant that they were actually reading something.  Shocking.

Two guys said that they like The Notebook, which allowed me to tell one of my favorite stories of all time—the time that I met Ryan Gosling in the Charleston, SC Harris Teeter (he was in town filming The Notebook) and I told him that I loved his tv show Breaker High, a little-known teen show about a group of kids who go to high school on a cruise ship.  “Ohhhhh, so you were our one viewer!” he replied.  Talk about embarrassing.  And awesome.

But—some of the funniest admittances were about food.  One girl was embarrassed to like pickles dipped in Mountain Dew.  Another said that she likes peanut butter and jelly…wrapped in lettuce.  One girl said that she eats funyuns dipped in ketchup, to which I replied, “They still make funyuns?!”  And one guy said that he was embarrassed about his habit of eating straight up coffee beans.  I’m pretty sure they call that “crack,” friend.

When it came time for me to share my own embarrassing likes, I, of course, told them about my deep-seeded love of The Bachelor…and The Hills…and Laguna Beach (thank you, ex-boyfriend, for giving me Season One for Christmas while we were still dating.  It is by far the best thing I got out of our relationship, and every time I see 16 year-old Lauren Conrad pining after Stephen Colletti to no avail, I think of you.).  I confessed my love of Sweet Valley High, and the fact that I have Justin Beiber on my i-pod.  I told them that I have a crush on Jeff Bridges, to which one student replied, “That’s not embarrassing—he’s The Dude!”  Right on, kid.

But—I didn’t share any embarrassing foods! On the spot, I couldn’t think of anything that I eat that I’d be embarrassed about.  I was thinking about it on my walk today, and I really couldn’t think of anything…until I remembered the shrimp tails.

That’s right, friends.  Back when I still ate animal products regularly, I was a BIG fan of seafood, especially shrimp.  The WHOLE shrimp…tail and all.

Doesn’t get much more embarrassing (or gross) than that.  I’m pretty sure it might also be a health risk.  I don’t think I’ll share it with my students though.  I don’t want them to think I’m any stranger than they surely already do.

Since I’ve gone ahead and let my freak flag fly for you to see in all of its glory, I guess I’ll post pictures of my decidedly normal lunch:

Carbs + Protein + Fat.  Nothing embarrassing about that.

So, share with me: what are you embarrassed to like (food or otherwise)?

1. January 13, 2011 5:46 pm

I LOVED Breaker High! How cool would it be to go to high school on a cruise ship?

That’s a Canadian show, so I’m surprised you used to watch it.

Most people I know haven’t even heard of it.

• January 13, 2011 5:49 pm

Oh you KNOW I used to watch Breaker High too 🙂 In fact I used to try to find highschools for me to attend that operated on a cruise ship

• January 13, 2011 9:30 pm

The fact that it is Canadian somehow makes so much sense to me. I always wondered why I didn’t know who ANY of the actors were!!

2. January 13, 2011 5:48 pm

I totally love your “embarrassing” ice breaker and am going to steal the idea to use for the next time I need a creative introduction 🙂

3. Kelly permalink
    January 13, 2011 5:50 pm

What a great opening to a semster! You are so fun…why couldn’t I have had professors like you? 🙂

I am going to be embarassed to admit that I like swiss cheese and peanut butter…together. I will literally tak swiss cheese and put peanut butter on it and eat it…straight up. GOOD!

4. January 13, 2011 5:51 pm

Omg I watched Breaker High! Hahahaha! So jealous you met Ryan Gosling.

5. January 13, 2011 5:51 pm

Ok…pickles and Mt Dew???? Let’s see, cheetos and chocolate. I adore cheetos. I refuse to buy them any longer as I would go through 2 bags a week. If Jason even looked at the bag he got the evil eye. Hands off, back up.

6. January 13, 2011 5:56 pm

I still don’t know what sweet valley high is…

The TV show I’m embarrassed to like is probably Days Of Our Lives

And what 19 year old guy DOESN’T like Sponge Bob?!

• January 13, 2011 9:29 pm

Evan, I don’t know if I have the space here to explain the glory that is Sweet Valley High. I might just have to fed-ex you some of my books.

7. January 13, 2011 6:14 pm

I love you just a little more after this and the comment you left on my post! I totally love the first Laguna Beach! Seriously, Jeff Bridges is awesom…I mean he is “The Dude”! Weird foods, well I am sure I eat a ton of things that people think are weird…I guess my pizza waffle was pretty out there for some. I love documentaries…even the one’s about crossword puzzles and scrabble.

8. January 13, 2011 6:20 pm

HAhahah thank you for this laugh!

9. mindy permalink
    January 13, 2011 6:28 pm

Your shrimp tails reminded me of this embarrassing food habit of mine: I eat the WHOLE peanut, shell and all. I bet the shell has good fiber, but there’s also a TON of salt nestled in those nooks and crannies! Remember my confession from Bich’s class? Whenever I eat vanilla pudding, I have to spit some out over my lips. Sounds totally gross, I know, and I’ll never eat vanilla pudding in front of anyone but Brian. I just like the cool, thick feeling on my lips, I guess. But the weirdest part is that the thought of doing this with CHOCOLATE pudding or BANANA(!) grosses me out.

I’m a huge dork- so I have a lot of embarrassing likes. I like ABC soap operas… as in I usually keep up with “All My Children” “One Life to Live” AND “General Hospital”. I still watch Gray’s Anatomy. I like scrapbooking. I like to play strategy board games. I’ve read all the Harry Potter books and Lord of the Rings. My favorite movie ever is Fellowship of the Rings. I like the Narnia movies. I can recite the opening sequence to Stark Trek: Next Generation from memory. I like oldies better than new music. I love John Wayne movies. I do jigsaw puzzles, and the harder they are, the better. I watch “Big Bang Theory” and identify more with the dorks than Penny.

In other words, I immediately gravitate toward anyone who introduces themselves by saying “I am such a dork.” The dorkier the better. Except Brian. He’s awesome! 😉

10. January 13, 2011 6:36 pm

VERY jealous you got to meet Ryan Gosling! He’s such a cutie!

Back when it was on, I was hooking on ‘Rock of Love’ with Bret Michaels 🙂

11. January 13, 2011 6:53 pm

1. Jeff Bridges is a silver fox
    2. Uh, I didn’t watch Laguna Beach in high school…I watched it last year on mtv.com. And I would watch like seven episodes at a time and eat swedish fish in my bed. And then I watched all of The Hills and all of The City. And I am still sad about Heidi’s downfall, remember when she had a bob?

My friend told me Diablo Cody is writing a Sweet Valley High movie script…what??!! How AMAZING would that be

• January 13, 2011 9:27 pm

Yes!!! I have heard this rumor as well, and I am VERY excited about it. Obviously. 🙂

12. goodeatsgirl permalink
    January 13, 2011 7:06 pm

I’m stealing your ice breaker to use with my students…awesome!

My “embarassing” food would be to eat potato chips dipped in ketchup. My friends always thought it was the wierdest thing to eat! I like it:)

13. January 13, 2011 7:09 pm

Haha! That’s a great ice breaker! Such a great idea!
    I’m not really surprised by men loving The Notebook or Twilight.
    My embarrassing thing is that I’m obsessed with weddings. I have no significant other but I’ve already planned my wedding (on a word doc haha) and I read wedding blogs. Ridiculous.

14. January 13, 2011 9:11 pm

I LOVE your post! How fun! Now you get to play with us! 🙂 I am pretty embarrased that I am engrossed in reality shows! Like I can watch rerun after rerun! And by reality shows I mean you name it I probably watch it!

Btw Ryan is hot and you are so lucky! 🙂

• January 13, 2011 9:27 pm

Did Ryan somehow pay you to write that?

IS THIS RYAN??! 🙂

15. January 13, 2011 9:16 pm

I love spaghetti-Os. I know, I know! But at least it isnt pickles dipped in Mountain Dew!

16. lowandbhold permalink
    January 13, 2011 9:18 pm

That’s so cool that you met Ryan Gosling! I think I watched that show too, haha.

I’m embarassed to like The Bachelor, Teen Mom (oh the bad grammar on that show!) and all the Real Housewives drama. Can’t help it!

17. January 13, 2011 10:15 pm

This is funny! I love your style of writing 🙂 I’ve never heard of Breaker High but now they have this show on Disney called Suite Life on Deck which also happens to be about kids on a cruise ship going to school…but I’m guessing Breaker High would have been more interesting.
    I eat salsa straight from the jar, without using it as a dip…I do it with marshmallow fluff, too. It’s weird. But I love it.
    I used to watch soap operas like The Bold and the Beautiful and Days of Our Lives…but thankfully that’s something I have stopped.

• January 13, 2011 10:16 pm

I eat salsa like that too!! I figure it’s kind of like gazpacho or something 🙂

18. January 13, 2011 10:20 pm

Mmmm. I want avocado now.
    I’m a bit embarrassed to like hummus as much as I do, I can’t lie. But hummus is yummus!!

19. January 13, 2011 10:35 pm

I’m embarrassed that I get excited when Gossip Girl comes on… though my husband watches it too.. and that’s way more embarrassing!

I’m embarrassed when Ke$ha comes on the radio and I start singing at the top of my lungs, even though she drives me freaking crazy… but so does my husband =)

and i’m super ashamed that I’d rather sit on my couch eating chocolate chip pancakes than any other culinary masterpiece of a dessert.

phew. hows that? ❤

xoXOxo
    Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

20. January 13, 2011 11:23 pm

This looks sooooo tasty

21. greensandjeans permalink
    January 13, 2011 11:51 pm

I have a whole list of things I love that most people would deem terrible, which includes pretty much everything I watch on TV (hey, it’s not my fault that the WB and ABC Family produces the most addictive shows EVER and MTV faux reality shows happen to be amazing) and most things on my ipod. Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to go read a babysitters club book and eat a peanut butter and pickle sandwich.

22. January 14, 2011 12:24 am

I like Cool Whip Lite. Better than whipped cream. I eat it plain, with a spoon, like ice cream. I know. It’s gross, processed, and weird! Like the commercial says, I choose oil, not cream, and I enjoy it!

23. January 14, 2011 1:40 am

Awww, i loved this post! I loved breaker high…sigh. the good ol days 😉

I chuckled when I read that some dudes said they liked the Twilight books…I want to sit and have a convo with them! heck i will chat Edward with anyone 😉

what a fun thing to do in class!!

xxoo

24. January 14, 2011 2:22 am

GREAT POST!

and pics. I learn when i see everything you post!

I am embarrassed to like Splenda. Not really 🙂 But i am being honest.

25. January 14, 2011 2:44 am

I love all the embarrassing secret likes. I’m a walking freak show, so let’s see…my husband and I used to race home from grad school to watch Jersey Shore. When I go to a movie (about once every 2 months or so) we go during lunch time so we can get ice cream cones for our meal….I love ketchup in a crazy way and I can’t pass up a wedding show 🙂

26. January 14, 2011 3:05 am

Fun post! An embarrassing secret for me would be liking raw honey right out of the jar – yum!

27. January 14, 2011 3:53 am

I love this activity! And I totally watched Breaker High and LOVED Sweet Valley High! My sister and I were just talking about how scandalous the books were back in the day and how glad we were our mother didn’t read them. I can’t think of any embarrassing foods right now! I’m really going to have to think of some or it will bother me…love this question!

28. January 14, 2011 12:27 pm

Dill pickle chips..? Those middle school sleepovers must have altered my tastebuds permanently.

29. January 14, 2011 12:52 pm

Oh my gosh Laguna Beach. I love that show, too…it was the only good group. The later seasons (and Newport Harbor, ick) just sucked, but the original crew with Lauren was AMAZING!

30. Danielle permalink
    January 15, 2011 2:54 am

Oh my gosh. I loved Breaker High!! I may have taped it the other day when I saw it was on some random channel 😉

31. Ginger permalink
    January 15, 2011 1:47 pm

One thing that I don’t admit much is my love of Robert Parker “Spenser” books – SO CHEESY, but I love them all, and buy them in hardback! Robert Parker died this year, and I’m just devastated. (I’ve never told my book club I read these) I’m also a little embarrassed about my need to always pick up (lucky) pennies out of the street, or anywhere they happen to be lying. I just can’t help myself – they’re so lucky!!

32. January 15, 2011 2:40 pm