Snowy First Day

January 12, 2011

Hi friends! The snow is coming down fast outside—me thinks we’ll have quite a bit by tomorrow morning!

As I mentioned earlier, today was my first day of classes.  I’m teaching on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 1 to 7, which makes for a long few days of teaching…but at least it’s only twice a week!

Anywho, as per usual, I lost track of time this morning and didn’t have enough time to post my lunch:

I mixed a hard-boiled egg with a few tablespoons of hummus—kind of like egg salad, but with more protein and less fat! I also had a giant honey crisp apple that I snacked on in between classes.  Is it just me, or have the apples been HUGE this year?!?

After I was done molding young minds (they didn’t know what Sweet Valley High was!!! WTF?!?), Ryan and I returned home from campus and set out to make a quick, healthy dinner.  The nights that we return home from teaching are always the nights where I’m most tempted to just stop at Subway or pop a pizza in the oven, but I’ve found that cooking a meal is usually worth the effort in the end.

Tonight, I sliced some pressed tofu, topped it with some tamari and sesame oil, and threw it in the oven at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes.  While the tofu was cooking, I threw together a quick stir-fry with onions, green beans, and the leftover kabocha squash from last night.  After cooking the veggies over high heat for about 15 minutes, I tossed them with some stir-fry sauce and tamari, and topped it all with the tofu.

Finally…dinner:

Yum! Easy, healthy, and quick!

Now we’re relaxing by the telly…wonder how much snow we’ll wake up to?!?  Only tomorrow will tell!

Night!

1. January 12, 2011 1:38 am

Stay warm!! Dinner looks delish (as always).

2. January 12, 2011 1:54 am

Your tofu looks perfect. But your food ALWAYS looks perfect and your pics are..just inspiring me to figure out all my lenses and camera jazz 🙂

3. January 12, 2011 2:08 am

I love mixing hard boiled eggs with hummus 🙂

Enjoy your snow day 🙂

4. January 12, 2011 2:35 am

Yes, apples HAVE been huge! And it’s funny you say that because today at work I was watching a little boy (about 4 years old) attempt to eat a giant gala apple that was bigger than his head. It was hilarious.

Love your egg and hummus creation! And, yes, I hope to sell my granola online too 🙂

5. January 12, 2011 2:54 am

I loved Sweet Valley High. I can’t believe they didn’t know what it was. I am old.

6. January 12, 2011 3:30 am

Egg salad with hummus instead of mayo…. I love the sound of that! Can’t wait to try it!

I made sushi and garnished it with a spicy mayo tonight… ugh… I actually wanted to be sick. I regretted the mayo x100000 instantly. Not b/c of the calories or fat, but because it literally made me feel sick. No bueno.

7. January 12, 2011 3:50 am

Oh I love calling the tv the telly!

I had a honey crisp apple today too and it was huge! Super delicious too!!

8. January 12, 2011 12:32 pm

What a yummy dinner you put together! I wish I could just throw things together like that! 🙂

9. January 12, 2011 12:46 pm

Um, how do they not know what SVH is??? I’m their age and I still grew up with them…their clothes were just a little outdated!!

• January 12, 2011 12:56 pm

Ha! True! My theory is that at least SOME of them knew what it was, but they’re lying because they don’t want to seem uncool. Which is ridiculous, because SVH is the coolest thing EVER!!! 🙂

10. January 12, 2011 1:28 pm

It freaks me out what this generation reads…or if they do at all. The tofu looks so good! I miss it so much. Funny how I do not miss meat at all, but tofu and tempeh…I miss! Try to stay warm today!

11. January 12, 2011 2:10 pm

I’m jealous you only teach 2 days! I need a job like that! I LOVED Sweet Valley High, how can they not know it??

12. January 12, 2011 2:18 pm

Love the egg salad idea w/hummus-i’m going to have to try that for the fiance! 2 days a week-although long-still great!

13. January 12, 2011 2:48 pm

OK, so i’m in love with that egg salad sub with the hummus…it sounds amazing! i think i know what i’m making when i get home today 🙂

14. January 12, 2011 3:30 pm

So much snow everywhereeee!

15. January 13, 2011 12:14 am

They didn’t know Sweet Valley High? For shame!

16. January 13, 2011 1:57 am

Is it terrible that I never read Sweet Valley High books when I was younger? I think I was influenced by my older brother and didn’t want to read any “girly” books in front of him! LOL 😀

Your tofu looks perfect!!