Orange You Glad You Tried This Weird Combo?

January 12, 2011

Greetings from the great North! The snow is still coming down here, but all in all, we haven’t actually gotten that much—maybe 2-4 inches total?  This morning, Ryan and I braved the winter weather and headed to the gym, where I hit up a spin class.  This was my first spin class at our PA gym—I’ve been to them down in Louisiana at the Y my family goes to, but never at our gym here.  I liked it! It was an endurance ride, so it was a lot of slow, steady climbs.  I was definitely sweating by the end of it!

We have our big weigh in on Friday…I think I might have to go sit in the gym’s sauna for a few hours before weighing in, ha! To refresh your memory, we’re doing a challenge at our gym where you put money in a pot before the holidays (we did it before Thanksgiving), and then whoever doesn’t gain weight over the holidays gets to split the money.  I’ll be interested to see if we come in without any weight gain…we were pretty indulgent over the holidays, but we were very active too!

After returning home from spin and doing a little work, we sat down for lunch…a very orange lunch.  I still had a bit of kabocha squash leftover from the one we baked up on Monday (yes, it was a BIG one), so I came up with a sort of random wrap: kabocha squash and sharp cheddar cheese:

kabocha

kabocha wrap

squash wrap

Random, but awesome.  The sweet squash and melty, savory cheese were delicious together!

With some extra orange on the side:

orange

And now…I’m going to clean our house!

See you for dinner!

1. January 12, 2011 7:31 pm

I just started going to spinning classes again. I go through phases where I love them, then don’t go for months. They’re perfect for crummy weather 🙂

2. January 12, 2011 7:35 pm

I need to get back into spinning! I fell off the wagon (er.. bike?) when I hurt my knee right before the wedding! I’m in dire need of an endorphin rush with all the winter weather keeping me cooped up inside!

Usually i grimmace when food is all one color… but orange is happy healthy color! way better than all brown or all white… and omg it looks deeeeeelish! Save me some!?

3. January 12, 2011 7:42 pm

First do a lot of cardio to sweat out a bunch of water weight, then sit in the sauna or steam room for like 1/2 hour. Even if you did gain weight over the holidays it will taken off in no time this way (of course, it’s not exactly honest)

• January 12, 2011 10:52 pm

Ha…yeah, that is a little dishonest 🙂

4. January 12, 2011 7:47 pm

Man, I wish I liked squash because this looks amazing!!!

Jen

5. January 12, 2011 7:52 pm

Kabocha is amazing. I don’t know why I only started eating it a few months ago. It’s so starchy and sweet that it’s kind of mind-blowing.

6. January 12, 2011 8:07 pm

Spin is the one thing I would like to try at a gym. I am all about orange food! The more the better!

• January 12, 2011 10:52 pm

I only tried my first class over Thanksgiving, and it really hooked me! It’s a fun workout…and tough, too!

7. January 12, 2011 9:15 pm

Wow, good luck on the weigh in! Lunch looks wonderful, I need to pick up another kabocha squash.

8. January 12, 2011 9:40 pm

2-4 inches?!! we’re battle 2 feet here in CT. it’s been a crazy, lazy day. good luck with the weigh-in!

9. January 12, 2011 10:10 pm

I need to clean my house. I’ve been stuck inside it for three days but haven’t managed to get much cleaned up.

Squash + cheese sounds good to me.

10. January 12, 2011 10:23 pm

Good luck with the weigh-in. mmm the cheese and squash look like they go perfectly together!

11. January 13, 2011 12:31 am

Hope you’re staying inside and staying warm! Lunch actually looks fantastic to me. Who needs color variety 😉

12. January 13, 2011 12:50 am

I have been eating a lot of orange food lately, and that wrap looks insanely good!