Lentils From a Can

January 10, 2011

Lentils are one of those foods I always make from scratch.  There are many foods that I take shortcuts with—I’ve never in my life soaked a pot of beans, and store-bought hummus finds its way into my grocery store cart every week, even though I know how easy it would be to blend some (canned) chickpeas together with olive oil and tahini.  But, lentils take almost no time to cook up, and they’re super-easy to make, so I always scoffed at the canned lentils I see in the grocery store (right next to my beloved canned beans).  But—yesterday, the organic canned lentils were on sale! So, I figured I’d give them a whirl for a little diversity in the old lunch routine.

I’m glad I did—they’re tasty! I drained and rinsed mine, then heated them up with some fresh spinach, plopped them down on a pita, and topped it all off with a big glob of hummus.  Easy, filling lunch in 5 minutes!

I love making new discoveries at the grocery store.  While I’ll still cook my own lentils for things like soups and stews, it’s good to know that canned lentils work in a pinch!

I’ve been working on my class syllabi all morning.  Yes, I start school tomorrow and I’m working on my syllabi today.  It’s not like you outgrow procrastination after a certain age.  Or at least, I certainly haven’t.  🙂

See you for dinner!

1. January 10, 2011 7:14 pm

That meal looks so warm and comforting on this snowy day.

2. January 10, 2011 7:21 pm

This is SO good to know! I’ve been scared to try the canned variety… and too lazy to cook them from scratch some nights (really lazy, i know! eek!) so knowing this… well that’s just fab1

Thanks doll! Happy Monday! ❤

xoXOxo
    Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

3. January 10, 2011 7:22 pm

ha! i love that you said that about procrastination…i’m the EXACT same way!

4. January 10, 2011 7:23 pm

If you have a Trader Joe’s near you, definitely try their packaged steamed lentils (in the refrigerator section). Its a huge time saver and they taste great. Good luck w. lesson planning!

• January 10, 2011 8:01 pm

Sigh…no TJ’s within closer than about two hours, unfortunately for me!

5. thehungryscholar permalink
    January 10, 2011 7:31 pm

I also get weird about canned foods, but they really aren’t that bad. Like canned tomatoes can be good if you pick out the right brand. I’m lazy so it’s nice to know I have options.

6. January 10, 2011 7:33 pm

Canned lentils are so underrated! I love ’em 🙂

7. January 10, 2011 7:39 pm

I am moving away from canned goods for two reasons. The cans are coated with plastic that contains BPA and it is hard to find canned beans or tomatoes without HFCS. Truthfully, it is hard to find any food at the grocery store without HFCS, especially since they have changed the labeling to “natural sugar” to mask it.

• January 10, 2011 8:03 pm

Yeah, the BPA thing worries me too. I buy all organic,no HFCS, no sodium added beans, so the HFCS isn’t a problem, but still…

8. January 10, 2011 7:46 pm

I bought hummus from a can once. It was not good.

9. January 10, 2011 7:47 pm

Once we started making our own chickpeas I have been ADDICTED! They taste so much better to me. I have a super simple great hummus recipe from Women’s Health if you ever want it.

• January 10, 2011 8:03 pm

I’d love that– thanks Kim! I know, I know…I need to suck it up and start making more legumes from scratch.

10. January 10, 2011 8:23 pm

I did not even know they had canned lentils. I do cook beans from scratch and rarely buy canned, but I do believe in a good backup, so you can have quick healthy meals! Lunch looks delicious!

11. January 10, 2011 9:11 pm

I’m the WORST with procrastination! I remember in college having to wake up early to write papers bc I would always sit at my computer and stare (/look at food blogs! haha)

It didn’t change after college either– I had to wake up early this am to finish proof reading a proposal!

haha

xo

Jocelyn

12. January 10, 2011 9:21 pm

I don’t know that I’ve even seen canned lentils. I always just make them from scratch too. I’ve started doing that with all of my beans now and just keep them in the freezer.

13. January 11, 2011 12:13 am

I’ve never tried canned lentils either, cooking from dried is so simple. But this looks wonderful!

14. January 11, 2011 12:13 am

Never had canned lentils. Good to know they are good.

We enjoy canned artichokes from time to time 🙂

15. January 11, 2011 1:02 am

What a simple way to try lentils… looks so tasty too! I usually use them in soups or curry… but I should try them in a salad I think.

16. January 11, 2011 1:05 am

I do enjoy home cooking beans & lentils….but the canned variety always seems to be on sale! And I am a sucker for the bean sale! What a delicious meal you put together!

17. January 11, 2011 1:34 am

lentils in a can…was at TJs today and they had canned lentil/veggie soup that they were doing free samples of. Canned stuff just works sometimes!

18. January 11, 2011 2:45 am

I dont even know if I knew you could get lentils in a can! Im with you on buying store bought hummus though, I havent made the leap yet either. Why fix something that isnt broken?

19. January 11, 2011 2:57 am

it’s funny i rarely buy lentils from a can either – no that’s not true, i totally buy lentil soup!

20. January 11, 2011 1:11 pm

Haha, I love that you’re still working on the syllabi!! Every semester I have a teacher with a syllabus so long I wonder if they did anything else over break. Enjoy your first day of class!

21. January 11, 2011 3:40 pm

I am not sure why, but I always imagined canned lentils would be gross. I will pick up a can next time I shop to have in the cupboard for a lazy day. Awesome!

22. January 11, 2011 9:03 pm

I have lentils on the stove right now! I don’t even think I’ve seen lentils from a can. I would try them though, especially if on sale!

23. January 12, 2011 12:10 am

How did you get that wrap to actually get wrapped inside the pita? It’s so full! And it looks SO good!