Say Goodbye With Pie

January 8, 2011

Well, all good things must come to an end, and the time has come for us to leave the warmth and sun of Louisiana and head back up north to Pennsylvania.  It’s been 70 degrees and sunny here lately, and we’re headed back to a high of 21 degrees.  Ugh.

We headed over to my sister and her husband’s house tonight to say our goodbyes.  For dinner, we enjoyed pizza and salad, and earlier today, I baked a pie from my new (old) Good Housekeeping cookbook for us to take along as dessert.

I’m not always crazy about the wacky, old-fashioned recipes you find in vintage cookbooks, but I will say, they’re usually spot-on when it comes to dessert.

I kept it super simple and old-fashioned tonight, and made a Southern treat: buttermilk pie.

DSC_0013 (124) DSC_0015 (105)

Even this delicious pie couldn’t make saying goodbye taste sweet.  😦

We’ll be on the road alllllllll morning, noon, and night tomorrow, so send us happy traveling vibes!

See you in PA!

1. January 8, 2011 4:04 am

If it makes you feel any better, we’re supposed to have snow Sunday night/Monday morning so I suspect that means no 70 degrees for La…. Have a safe trip home!

2. patti permalink
    January 8, 2011 4:48 am

Buttermilk pie is one of my favorites 🙂 Have a safe trip

3. January 8, 2011 5:16 am

the buttermilk pie looks amazing!
    but when would butter, sugar, flour, and eggs and buttermilk not be delish? never!

good luck on your travels home…stay warm girl!

4. January 8, 2011 2:01 pm

Yum, I’ll take a piece of this. Hope your travels were safe!

5. January 8, 2011 3:56 pm

buttermilk pie is my FAVORITE! i love it…i would totally kill for a slice right now 🙂

6. January 8, 2011 5:00 pm

Sorry you have to go! I know it hurts to leave your sister. Have a safe trip!

Oh and you are so right with vintage dessert recipes. I love the simplicity and ease of them.

7. January 8, 2011 6:16 pm

Can’t go wrong with buttermilk pie!

Will be praying for a safe trip home!

Sasha says to tell Elle and Baxter to enjoy the ride. (Shelby & Sis Sue never do, so their ears are down.)

8. greensandjeans permalink
    January 8, 2011 6:50 pm

It is snowing up here right now, just for you! Safe travels guys!

9. January 8, 2011 7:11 pm

Safe travels!! It’s chilly up here, but you’ll be coming back to a winter wonderland 🙂

10. January 8, 2011 10:22 pm

Gorgeous pie pics! Have a safe trip home!

11. January 9, 2011 1:03 am

Note from a southern girl–my very favorite southern pie is lemon chess.

Happy new year to you and Ryan and the pups!

Best,
    Bonnie

12. January 9, 2011 9:07 pm

Safe travels! I’ve never heard of buttermilk pie, but it looks delicious! And I agree, if it’s from an old, tried and true cookbook…it’s bound to be fabulous!

13. January 9, 2011 10:10 pm

I love my mom’s old cookbooks – they are spot on every time!

Have a safe trip home!!

14. January 9, 2011 11:34 pm

Safe travels! Especially with all this nutty weather. The pie looks like it turned out fantastic. And I agree, old dessert recipes are always spot on

15. Ginger permalink
    January 10, 2011 2:02 am

You left just in time – we got sleet/snow today and the forecast is for more during the week. We miss you and the dogs! And, the pie was DELICIOUS (wish you were still here to cook for me and Dad!)

16. January 12, 2011 11:33 pm