Antique Finds

December 29, 2010

Hi friends! It’s been a low-key, but fun day here in Seattle.  This morning, I went on a nice five mile run on a trail by my in-laws’ house.  It was kind of drizzly and gross outside, but it felt great to get moving after our long day of plane travel yesterday.

After a quick lunch, we headed out for some…antiquing!

Yes, I realize that it makes me seem about 40 years older than I actually am, but I LOVE antique stores.  I could spend HOURS combing through antique stores and markets.  This afternoon, we drove to Snohomish, a small town about 15 minutes away, that has an adorable downtown area and TONS of antique stores!

My only problem in places like this is that I tend to get a leeeetle carried away—but, knowing that I have to fly home in about a week, I tried to keep my spending urges under control.

This afternoon, I was in a Mad Men kind of mood, as you’ll see.

I found some adorable champagne flutes to add to my glassware collection:

Can’t you just see Don and (SPOILER ALERT) his new wife toasting to their totally ridiculous and completely inexplicable marriage with these?  Me too.

I also flipped for these old secretary photos.  I’m pretty sure one of them is Ms. Blankenship.

Finally, I hit the jackpot in terms of small spoons (which I also collect):

I love the itty-bitty salt spoon on the far left!

After all of that antiquing, we were in need of an afternoon snack, so we stopped in at the cutest little pie shop.  Ryan and I split a piece of apple and marrionberry pie:

Delicious!

Upon returning home, we headed back out immediately again, this time to…Central Market! Ryan’s parents live super close to a Central Market, and I LOVE shopping there when we come in town.  We volunteered to cook dinner for the family tonight, so we headed out to pick up some key ingredients.  It was a cold, rainy day here in Seattle today—the perfect weather for soup!

We cooked up a squash ginger soup, along with some crusty cheese toast and a mixed salad.

To make the soup, we roasted a combination of butternut squash and kabocha squash on my new Demarle Silpat baking sheet—a Christmas gift!

The soup also included an onion, carrots, celery, lots of ginger, some lime juice, and a splash of coconut milk.  Simple, but very comforting!

And now we just wrapped up a raucous round of Apples to Apples, and are finishing off a plate of Christmas cookies…life is good!

See you tomorrow, friends!

1. December 29, 2010 6:14 am

Love Central Market! Hope you two enjoy the rest of your vacation.

2. December 29, 2010 10:52 am

apple and marrionberry pie–ive never even had an m-berry! They look delish!

those champagne flutes are awesome!!!!!!!

and my grandma collected antique dishes, from cups and saucers to mini spoons. I love that you collect spoons, too!

3. December 29, 2010 11:15 am

My grandma collected spoons like that – I love them!

4. December 29, 2010 12:30 pm

I have never been antiquing, but you know what? I think I would enjoy it!! There just aren’t any great places to go antiquing around here, but maybe I should look harder? I don’t think it makes you seem old, I think it’s smart! ONe person’s trash is another person’s treasure 🙂 The butternut squash soup sounds amazing, by the way. I need to make some before they are gone (butternut squash, that is).

5. December 29, 2010 12:35 pm

Awesome finds! I enjoy antiquing too — you can make some great deals and pick up gorgeous pieces. Especially for young people on a budget, that can be a lot of fun and a money-saver.

6. ginger permalink
    December 29, 2010 1:22 pm

Those flutes are so pretty – they do look so fifty-ish! That soup looks good, too. It has been rainy and gross here for the last few days – good weather for staying inside and winding down after all the holiday madness.

7. December 29, 2010 2:31 pm

I WANT those glasses! You know I love that style and I could totally go antiquing any time!

8. December 29, 2010 2:58 pm

What a delicious looking dinner! I’m sure the family totally appreciated that!! I’ve never heard of a marrionberry….but that pie looks divine. The spoons are adorable- great finds.

9. December 29, 2010 3:58 pm

I love antiquing too, and thrift stores and old shops and…now I really want to go shopping. Super cute finds!

10. December 29, 2010 6:17 pm

um, antique stores are the shizz…no shame!!! i love them too…and i feel like the older i get the more i love them 🙂

11. December 29, 2010 6:55 pm

I’ve never been antiquing but anytime I see the things people find it makes me want to go. Love the spoon set!

12. December 29, 2010 7:19 pm

I am loving those champagne flutes!!! If you’re ever in Michigan, I’m taking you antiquing, you find the best stuff!!

Jen

13. December 29, 2010 7:43 pm

Aww the teeny little spoon is precious!

14. December 29, 2010 8:48 pm

Girl I love to go antiquing too! I am loving those glasses by the way. Very cool!

15. December 29, 2010 10:44 pm

Awesome antique scores! I enjoy antique shopping too and we have some great shops here that I haven’t been to in ages.

The pie looks awesome and just wow on the soup, I need to try it!

16. actorsdiet permalink
    December 30, 2010 6:40 am

i need an itty bitty spoon!

• December 30, 2010 6:54 am

It’s completely impractical…and SO cute!! 🙂

17. JenATX permalink
    January 3, 2011 8:34 pm

What does Ryan do while you antique shop? He sure is a trooper for heading out with you!

• January 3, 2011 10:39 pm