Fun with Baby Sophie + An Emotional Lunch

December 23, 2010

Hi friends! It’s been a while since my last blog—things always get so hectic during these last few holiday days! Last night, Ryan and I went to see The Fighter with some friends—it was SO good! I highly recommend it (and not JUST because Mark Wahlberg spends a large portion of the movie shirtless…that’s only partly why I liked it so much).

This morning, Ryan and I headed over to my sister’s house to spend some time with baby Sophie.  Katherine was working this morning, so we happily volunteered to babysit for our favorite niece (she’s our only niece, but still…).

We had a great time…Sophie is at a really cute age.

We spent some time petting George the dog:

…and then did some reading about dogs:

…and then even practiced downward facing dog:

She’s got pretty good form!

Sophie also seems to already have discovered what Christmas is all about: presents! 😉

She and Ryan spent some time together reading…nerd alert!

She was glad to see that Ryan still has his beard:

Finally, around 1:00, we strapped Sophie into the Bjorn and walked over to one of my all-time favorite restaurants for an emotional lunch.  Earthereal, a vegetarian restaurant and bakery, has been a Shreveport institution for almost 40 years—they’ve been open since 1971.  I worked at Earthereal many summers, and it remains my favorite place of employment—great bosses, delicious vegetarian food, and the friendliest atmosphere you’ll ever find in a restaurant.  What more could you want?

Sadly, the owners of Earthereal, Katie and John:

…decided a few months ago that the time has come to close the restaurant.  They’re both getting older—John is over 80 and has cooked since he was 14!!—and they both just knew it was time.  So, today, we ate our final lunch at Earthereal.  I’m not going to lie—tears were shed when we said our goodbyes to Katie and John.  It feels like the end of an era! :-(

Final veggie burger:

Potato salad:

Poor Sophie will never get a chance to taste how great Earthereal cookies are!

Katherine with Katie and John:

As we were finishing up our lunch, Katie hung the “kitchen closed” sign for the last time…sigh.

As sad as I am that Earthereal is closing its doors, there is a little something to look forward to—Katie and John have plans to put together a cookbook of the restaurant’s favorites! I’ll be first in line to buy my copy!

Okay…we’re off to run a few more Christmas errands, and then we’re going to a fun holiday party tonight! Hope you’re having a great day!

1. December 23, 2010 9:45 pm

Cute pics, what a fun day. I hear ya on the holidays, the last few days have been chaos for me! So sad about Earthereal, looks like a great place.

2. Emo permalink
    December 23, 2010 9:48 pm

Awww. That must have been really difficult for you. At least you got to be there when she flipped the sign.
    I’m making cake balls with your pumpkin bars! I’ll let you know how they go over.

• December 23, 2010 11:54 pm

I hope they turn out well! Let me know how it goes! (and guard them from Diego!)

3. December 23, 2010 9:58 pm

aw – this is making me misty and I don’t even have history… can’t someone buy it and keep it going? 😦

Sophie is ADORABLE. I love her downward facing dog !!

• December 23, 2010 11:53 pm

My sister and I kind of want to guy it and keep it going! Not that EITHER of us would know ANYTHING about owning a restaurant, ha!

4. December 23, 2010 10:04 pm

I hate when favorite places shut down. That sounds like it was a great place and with such kind people.

5. December 23, 2010 10:10 pm

aw, that is sad but also happy…they’ll get to pursue some other fun things and still share that joy of food!

6. December 23, 2010 10:10 pm

Sounds like a great place. I’d be sad that it was closing too.

I’m going to see The Fighter on Christmas Day. I’ve only heard good things about it.

• December 23, 2010 11:53 pm

It was SO good! I might have to see it again!

7. JenATX permalink
    December 23, 2010 10:50 pm

Maybe you & Jon can buy it and keep the tradition alive?! no? haha. I am glad that you got to at least have one last meal there!

8. December 23, 2010 11:49 pm

awww i would have balled into my veggie burger! at least you had some great food and great years knowing them! ❤

9. December 24, 2010 12:12 am

Sophie is absolutely ADORABLE!!!!!! Look at those big eyes!

So sad it’s closing but the book will keep the memory alive 🙂

10. December 24, 2010 12:14 am

that is so sad they are closing! omg that’s hard when something w/ so many memories for you…closes. The last. The end. The final. At least you could say goodbye to the owners.

On a bright note…sophie’s downward dog is great….she’s gonna be a yoga teacher, i can just tell 🙂

11. December 24, 2010 6:54 am

12. December 24, 2010 12:39 pm

Aw that’s so sad!! I’m glad you got to say goodbye to them though…it sounds like a special place 🙂

13. December 24, 2010 1:38 pm

Aw, I hate when good restaurants close! Perhaps you’ll have to open one of your own 😉

14. December 24, 2010 3:21 pm

Your niece is such a doll! I think it’s so cool that they’re doing a cookbook at least. Hope you have a great Christmas.

15. Kelly permalink
    December 24, 2010 4:10 pm

Sophie is adorable!!! She is growing up so fast and I love how she pulls on Ryan’s beard! haha! I am sorry your favorite place is closing up shop but once the cookbook comes out you can wow us with all their amazing creations! Merry Christmas Eve, Anna!

• December 24, 2010 4:18 pm

Thanks, Kelly! Hope you have a great Christmas!

16. December 25, 2010 10:37 pm

I really want to see The Fighter 😀 I love Mark Wahlberg! Aw, I wish the restaurant wasn’t closing- maybe you and your sister should get into the restaurant business 😉

Trackbacks