Busy, Busy

December 22, 2010

Whew! Today was a whirlwind!

I started off with an 8:30 pilates class with my friend Ellie.  It was a great way to start the day—I think it’s so nice to get some good exercise in early during the holidays.  Whatever holiday cookies and peanut brittle and cheese straws come later in the day, at least I know that I’ve gotten in some quality exercise.

After our pilates class, I walked the dogs, showered, and then it was time for…lunch! Today was a special lunch—my sister, Sophie and I were invited to the annual luncheon that my mom has for the women that work in my father’s office (my mom used to work there as well).

We enjoyed creamy potato soup (recipe courtesy of Paula Deen) and cheddar herb biscuits—yum!

After lunch, we got ready for…yet another party! We headed a few blocks down the road to my cousin Elizabeth’s house for a rocking cookie party with all of our little cousins.  Our family has grown by leaps and bounds in the past ten years—there are so many little kids around now, which makes Christmas extra fun!

Little kids get such a kick out of holiday festivities…I feel like it raises the mood of everyone around them! The kids had a great time decorating cookies…

Some ate more sprinkles than others:

(and yes, by the way, it is warm enough here for the kids to be hanging out in sundresses.  Crazy.)

…and then they even gave a very spirited rendition of “Let It Snow” at the end of the party (complete with electric guitar):

THEN, when we got home, I had a FUN package waiting for me! My friend Mindy, grad school friend, fellow Purdue poet, and cook, gardener, and pyrex-collector extraordinaire and I decided to do a cookware exchange at the beginning of the holiday season.  I had so much fun hunting down vintage cookware for her at our local antique shop, and I couldn’t wait to see what she had in store for me.

I LOVED what she picked out for me:

An awesome cup towel:

And this beautiful glass stand, that could be used for anything from appetizers to a small cake to a centerpiece.  I LOVE it, and I plan on using it for our Christmas Eve cocktail party:

Thanks, Mindy!!

Finally, my parents headed out for a Christmas party, and I volunteered to cook dinner for the three of us for when they got home.  A variation on Thai food was on the menu tonight: tofu and seitan with noodles and coconut curry sauce.

This dish was chock full of veggies—mushrooms, carrots, red peppers, daikon, and onion.

And now…I’m off to pick up Ryan!!! FINALLY! He’s flying into town tonight, and hopefully he should be here around 9:00!

See you tomorrow!

1. December 22, 2010 3:45 am

The sprinkles are the best part. Okay, the cookie is the best part, but the sprinkles are good too.

Glad that Ryan is finally going to be there with you.

2. December 22, 2010 4:06 am

I love that glass stand. It is so beautiful!

3. December 22, 2010 4:08 am

have fun picking up ryan!

tofu and seitan with noodles and coconut curry sauce = delish!!!

the towel and the stand…SO YOU!!!!!

all those kids + sugar + cookies = glad im not their mama trying to get them to bed 🙂

4. December 22, 2010 5:13 am

Aw, all those kids are super cute. I love baking with little ones. I also agree that one workout justifies cookies this season!

5. December 22, 2010 5:38 am

yummy! I ate my WEIGHT in daikon yesterday! I can never find it in stores around here, but it’s always at my local sushi joint and I plow through the stuff!

The soup looks fab too! maybe reading this at 12 in the morning was noooot a good idea 😉 *ahem!* troublemaker!

6. December 22, 2010 11:50 am

I am in LOVE with that glass stand! It is stunning!!!

And I don’t know what would go better with that soup…those biscuits sound incredible!

7. Kelly permalink
    December 22, 2010 12:26 pm

That glass stand is awesome!!!

8. December 22, 2010 1:16 pm

I LOVE the glass stand and the towel. Absolutely beautiful! Oh and I could not agree more with getting up and working out first thing! I did that today just so I could not talk myself out of it!

9. December 22, 2010 1:43 pm

Girl it was warm here yesterday too but now only low 50’s today. Nuts. I love that stand by the way. I love serving “stuff.” Now if only I had a place to store said serving “stuff.”

10. December 22, 2010 2:58 pm

Love the idea of the cookware exchange…I want that cake stand!!!

11. Ginger permalink
    December 22, 2010 2:59 pm

I have to comment about the stir fry, since I ate so much of it. It was DELICIOUS!! I hope we can have it again before you leave!

12. December 22, 2010 3:07 pm

paula deen has my heart…i love that woman!

13. December 22, 2010 3:09 pm

Those kids are ADORABLE!

Have fun with Ryan 🙂

14. December 22, 2010 3:57 pm

That glass stand is beautiful! I am a wee bit jealous… 🙂

15. December 22, 2010 5:20 pm

Uhhh that potato soup looks AWESOME, especially with the biscuit. Haven’t had potato soup in ages and now I’m craving the warm creamy comfort!!

16. December 22, 2010 6:41 pm

I love that stand! I really want a cake stand 🙂

17. December 22, 2010 7:47 pm

Ooo, I’d like that stand as well. It’s lovely!

18. December 22, 2010 9:33 pm

Oh that glass stand looks amazing! Though I’d probably knock it over ;).

I love starting the day off with excercize too. To me yoga’s the best but I also love the benefits of pilates.

19. December 22, 2010 9:38 pm

Agreed, I always try to up my cardio over the holidays. 🙂 Uh oh, if it was a Paula Deen recipe, it probably had 8,000 calories per serving! 😛

What a fun cookie party and awesome gifts, what a neat idea!

Dinner looks great, one of these days I’ll try seitan.

20. December 22, 2010 10:46 pm

That glass stand is gorgeous, you have to post a picture of what you end up putting in it!

21. December 23, 2010 3:36 am

Yay for Ryan coming back into town.

I love the kids faces as they get to decorate cookies, priceless 😉 that was my favorite thing growing up!!

HUGS
    ~Lori

22. December 23, 2010 11:48 am

The soup looks so good! I love me a good potato soup!
    OOOOO, I think your Thai food looks better than the takeout I had last week!! Delicious!

Jen

23. December 23, 2010 12:52 pm

That cake stand is quite fabulous! Luck girl!