Merry Christmas From Ella and Baxter

December 21, 2010

Ryan and I sent our holiday cards out about a week ago, so I think it’s safe to post the pictures that made the final cut!

A few years ago, we started a tradition of featuring our dogs in costume on our Christmas cards.  Nothing spreads holiday cheer like dogs in clothing.

Our first year, we went with a simple Santa and elf theme:

weddinghoneymoon 028

I had one friend ask me if this was photoshopped.  I assured her that the picture was as real as the shame in their eyes.

And then, last year, for our first Christmas as newlyweds, the choice was obvious:

new pics 246

sonoma 011

We usually start thinking about what kind of card we want to do months in advance, so when we stumbled upon a dog clothing shop in Venice this summer, we knew we’d hit pay dirt for Christmas 2010.  Dogs in gondolier outfits?  What could be better?

This is the card:

DSC_0008 (144) \

…and the shot that made the final cut:

…but I always think the outtakes are the funniest part.  You really haven’t seen humiliation in a dog until you attempt to put him or her in a gondolier costume.

Is it just me, or is Baxter bowing his head in mortification?

If that look Ella is giving doesn’t say “Merry Christmas!” I don’t know what does.

Time to start thinking about next year…

Do you send out Christmas cards? We’ve gotten some really funny ones this year!

1. December 21, 2010 1:18 am

LOL that’s hysterical. Yes, total mortification there. Poor thing 😦 (teehee)

2. December 21, 2010 1:20 am

OH so cute!

3. December 21, 2010 1:22 am

best card ever! and yes i send cards this years i managed to get the dog and the horse to pose as friends(ish)

4. December 21, 2010 1:38 am

Oh my gosh, those photos are so cute. Absolutely adorable!

5. December 21, 2010 1:43 am

“assured her that the picture was as real as the shame in their eyes. “–OMG I love it!!!

AFter i left for aruba, i realized there were a few ppl whom i forgot to send holiday cards to. YOU and your hubs (and dogs) were part of the category. Sorry girl! Next year, I will be all over it!

Thx for your camera help…I am going to order something tonite…amazon, look out…

🙂

6. greensandjeans permalink
    December 21, 2010 2:15 am

Um YES! I have never seen dogs look so shameful in my life. LOVE IT.

7. December 21, 2010 2:51 am

ah pups! usually im not a huge fan of dogs on christmas cards, but you guys do it with such style, it’s adorable!

yes, i did go to CVS and pick up a $10 pack of cards. At 22 I say, it’s the simple thought that counts.

8. December 21, 2010 3:17 am

LOVE IT!

9. Ryan permalink
    December 21, 2010 3:46 am

Look at how small that Baxter dog was in the elf shot. He’s the littlest elf anyone knows, and that’s saying something.

10. December 21, 2010 5:17 am

hahahahaha how cute are they! i love it! =) my pets get decked out for xmas pictures each year… they didn’t make the card this year though. my husband did something mucho embarassing… so i plastered it on every card =) such a good wife, eh?

the elf costume is fan-freaking-tastic btw!

11. December 21, 2010 10:04 am

AW !! they are SO cute!!

Basil really does not like the camera. It’s really funny, he looks away, walks away… it’s really surprising I get ANY photos of him at all.

this is seriously SO adorable. ❤

12. December 21, 2010 12:13 pm

LOVE IT!! These pictures are classic!! Seriously, what a great Christmas card. You win the award for best Christmas card, for sure! You’re so creative. And yes, those poor dogs had no idea what they were getting themselves into…. 🙂 Too funny!

13. December 21, 2010 12:55 pm

I swore I would never be one of those people that takes their dog to see Santa or dress them up…but I am!

I like your style!

• December 21, 2010 1:52 pm

Oh yes, we take our dogs to see Santa too 🙂

14. Ginger permalink
    December 21, 2010 12:56 pm

The hard part will be finding a theme year after year! It will be hard to top this year’s (but I’m sure you’ll find a way).

15. December 21, 2010 12:57 pm

haha I love this! I wanted to do a picture Christmas card this year, but I couldn’t think of anything cute, so I didn’t.

16. December 21, 2010 12:59 pm

Our card this year features ugly Christmas sweaters, as well as me, the husband, and the dog sporting mustaches. So far it’s getting rave reviews.

• December 21, 2010 1:51 pm

Ha! Yes! People seem to be really bringing their A games this year 🙂

17. December 21, 2010 1:16 pm

HAHAHAHA oh my gosh that made my morning. Amazing. We send out Christmas cards, but it’s just a boring shot of the four (now five) of us smiling. Yours is so awesome.

18. December 21, 2010 2:22 pm

SO freaking cute! We’ve tried to dress Frank up several times….but hes not having it! We do always send out a picture of the three of us (Josh, Frank & I)….but Frank goes nude 😉

19. December 21, 2010 3:54 pm

I was in Venice earlier this year and loved all the doggy clothes stores..they were a ton!

What a great photo idea 🙂

20. December 21, 2010 4:25 pm

hahaha that is ADORABLE!! I like the outtake photo the best though – you are right. 🙂

21. December 21, 2010 5:23 pm

I’m glad we’re not the only ones that dress our dogs up just for the sake of our Christmas cards! This card is absolutely adorable!

22. December 21, 2010 5:53 pm

I love your cards! They are too cute! We used to send out cards and haven’t the past couple of years. Things just get so busy and then we think it is too late. I need to be better about that.

23. December 21, 2010 6:06 pm

I love this idea…I should have done something similar with Maya when she was younger. I think she’s too old to go along with this now though!!

24. December 21, 2010 7:27 pm

LOVE this!!! OMG adorable!!!! I am laughing so hard at this years picture, it’s awesome!

Jen

25. December 21, 2010 7:42 pm

Ah so cute!! Those are the best dog costumes I’ve ever seen!

26. December 21, 2010 8:11 pm

Your dogs look mortified! If only they understood how cute they looked 🙂

27. December 21, 2010 11:46 pm

What an awesome idea for cards, I wish my dog liked wearing costumes. I love this years card, so stinking cute! 🙂 We do send out cards, but I was less original this year using up my collection of pre-prints from previous years. Maybe I’ll get creative next year.

28. December 22, 2010 2:03 am

ahahaha… cute! I always send out cards, but not picture ones… I’m still lame and buy generic. :p

29. December 22, 2010 3:41 am

That is so precious!!! You guys have truly outdone yourself!

30. JenATX permalink
    December 23, 2010 1:40 am

I don’t send Christmas cards because I’m too cheap (being a student is expensive!). But i think it’ll be fun to do when I’m married

31. December 25, 2010 10:44 pm

Too cute! I think there is a universal look dogs have when you put them in costume- Bailey makes the same expressions!

32. July 19, 2011 12:20 am

where can i get a costume like that? been searching for months!

33. July 19, 2011 12:20 am