Sunday Night Supper

December 20, 2010

My dad gets a kick out of making fun of my being vegetarian.  Oh sure, he supports it.  I know that deep down, he’s proud of me for no longer eating meat.  But when it comes to his actual responses and remarks, he finds much more pleasure being…well, an ass.  For example, when I’m home, he likes to ask, “If we aren’t supposed to eat animals, then why do they taste so good?” about three times a day.  If I’m making some sort of vegetarian lunch or dinner, he usually tells me that whatever I’m making “looks like it could use a little…CHICKEN!!”  And when my family came to visit us in Pennsylvania, he was wayyyyy too excited about showing off some pictures he’d taken in Africa of a bunch of hyenas mauling a group of wildebeests.  “It’s the circle of life,” he proclaimed proudly.  When we go out to eat, he’ll order a giant slab of still-bleeding meat and say, “Don’t you want a picture of this for your blog?”

See what I mean?  Ass.

But.  I think he may be hankering for some more time on the blog, because during the time I’ve been home, he’s cooked not just one, but TWO fabulous vegetarian meals, without even mentioning the fact that he’d rather be eating meat.

Last night, it was eggplant parmesan:

First, the eggplant slices were doused in egg and breaded with breadcrumbs:

eggplant parmesan

Then, they were baked in the oven until golden:

DSC_0020 (73)    DSC_0019 (74)

While the eggplant was baking, my dad also cooked up a spicy, homemade tomato sauce on the stove:

Mmmmm….so, so good! My dad added a healthy dose of Italian pepperoncini spices to the sauce, so it had a REAL kick to it.

Finally, the eggplant slices were covered in the sauce and thick slices of buffalo mozzarella, as well as a little fresh basil, and put back in the oven until the cheese was golden and bubbly:

eggplant paremsan

eggplant parmesan

I made the salad, which was a mix of fennel, endive, orange slices, blue cheese, walnuts, mixed greens, and lemon olive oil:

Here’s my piece:

eggplant parmesan

Check out that edge-work:

eggplant parmesan

That’s what it’s all about.

Who knows? Maybe next, my dad will start whipping up some tofu-centered dinners and tempeh lunches.

Then again, for a guy who goes hunting every other weekend, and even wears ducks on his shirts, I guess eggplant parmesan is a pretty good start.

1. December 20, 2010 2:42 pm

I love that you dad cooked that! Looks delicious 🙂

2. December 20, 2010 2:52 pm

Oh this post makes me laugh…and makes me feel so happy that you and your dad have such a fun loving joking neat relationship…I hope scott and skylar are like this one day! She’s already vegetarian tho so he wont be able to joke too much about that. lol

The food. Clearly looks amazing!

3. December 20, 2010 2:52 pm

I love eggplant and that looks so delicious! Your dad sounds hilarious 😀

4. greensandjeans permalink
    December 20, 2010 2:54 pm

I’m pretty sure your dad and my dad would be best friends. And they could have an awesome guitar jam session.

5. December 20, 2010 2:58 pm

Yeah, I get nothing, but jokes about my not eating meat even though I prepare it for everyone else with no problem. The one I hate the most (simply because I CAN’T drink milk or soy milk) is how do that milk an almond if it does not have teets? UGH, I hate that. The eggplant looks delicious.

6. December 20, 2010 3:16 pm

Hi Anna! 🙂

That eggplant parm looks delicious! I made some on Friday and it would have been so much better with fresh basil and that amazing looking sauce. Yum!

I have similar uncles who would joke around and call me “Bean Sprouts” when I was vegetarian. In our family (as it seems with yours) joking is a sign of love 🙂

7. December 20, 2010 3:16 pm

This is one of my favorite dishes to make/eat — sooo yummy! I want to try making the roll-up kind with goat cheese one of these days!

omg and that salad looks AMAZING!

8. December 20, 2010 3:21 pm

eggplant parm is a BIG favorite of mine…so golden and cheesy and yummy… 🙂

9. December 20, 2010 3:52 pm

Yum. I think it’s great that he’s making veg friendly dinners!

10. December 20, 2010 4:05 pm

I think our dads may have as much in common as we do 🙂

11. December 20, 2010 4:53 pm

I got that all the time when I was a vegetarian (for 14 years). Now I feel like my hubby will say..ooo this will be good with some tofu..ha!

12. December 20, 2010 4:56 pm

Your eggplan parmesan looks soo good! So much better than mine looked the 1 time I tried to make it! haha I tried your veggie fritata this weekend! It turned out great! 🙂

13. December 20, 2010 5:21 pm

So good to check out your blog again; the food is looking better and better. Basically, you’re a pro!

14. December 20, 2010 6:18 pm

My dad would probably do the same thing with comments like that. How sweet of him to make such an effort then though.

15. December 20, 2010 6:43 pm

Your dad sounds like my kind of guy! My mom makes similar jokes when we’re out to eat, too.

16. December 20, 2010 7:14 pm

That looks SO good!! I cooked with eggplant once and it was a big fat failure. It probably didnt help that I had no idea what to do with it and just bought and cooked it for fun.

My dad makes fun of me all the time too. I think its just what they do. 🙂

17. JenATX permalink
    December 20, 2010 8:59 pm

I think that’s a dad/man thing because my dad is similar.. oh & if you wondered why its been three weeks since I’ve posted a comment its not because I stopped finding your blog interesting, I was just stuck in the library for three weeks studying for law school finals & for some reason food blogs just made me really hate being in the lib (probably bc I had no time to actually eat well). anyway, i’m back! & i’ll be reading your posts in reverse. wahoo!

18. December 20, 2010 9:24 pm

oh, isn’t t nice to be home?! It is nice, however, that your dad cooks well. My dad is a little clueless.

19. December 21, 2010 12:05 am

Your dad sounds like my husband. Minus the hunting part!

20. December 21, 2010 12:15 am

YAY for dad!! haha our dad gives a hard time all the time about our eats…what is that soaking water….why is that green, haha, lots of food jokes in our family

21. December 21, 2010 12:54 am

I love that your dad “wears ducks on his shirt”. Cute. 🙂 And how about that eggplant parmesan?! Wow.

22. December 21, 2010 11:42 pm

Lol, my family can be the same way. You dad reminds me of my cousin. 😛 The eggplant looks amazing, yum!